• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2020 Malazan Re-read: Bonehunters Starts Monday, June 1st

#121 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 25 September 2021 - 03:30 AM

Felisin-the-Younger was an uncertain girl being pulled in multiple directions by a bunch of different people by a bunch of people who all want her to fill some proxy role - the Crippled God and Sha'ik's followers wanted her to reprise her adoptive mother's role, while Crokus and Heboric were protecting her not really out of desire to keep her safe but to combat their own inner demons regarding Apsalar and original-Felisin. Shadowthrone and Cotillion wanted to control her in a Sha'ik Reborn role just like the Crippled God, too. So whether she's wanted as a proxy original-Felisin, Apsalar, or Sha'ik Reborn, nobody seems to actually care about her own (potential) identity, except *maybe* Greyfrog and Scillara.

Maybe if they had escaped and she had gone on to live a long, free life there'd be more to her story, but they fail and she does turn into the Sha'ik Reborn-v2 role the Crippled God wanted her to fulfill. At that point, the person Felisin-the-Younger is gone, only the mask of a role others wanted her to fulfill is left, so it's fitting that that is where her 'story' ends. Take it as a theme on how broken parents and protection alone isn't enough to raise a healthy child with an identity of their own, if you want.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#122 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 September 2021 - 04:33 AM

View PostD, on 25 September 2021 - 03:30 AM, said:

Maybe if they had escaped and she had gone on to live a long, free life there'd be more to her story, but they fail and she does turn into the Sha'ik Reborn-v2 role the Crippled God wanted her to fulfill. At that point, the person Felisin-the-Younger is gone, only the mask of a role others wanted her to fulfill is left, so it's fitting that that is where her 'story' ends. Take it as a theme on how broken parents and protection alone isn't enough to raise a healthy child with an identity of their own, if you want.

As I stated earlier, her story didn't feel like it ended but rather it was cut off.

Since the Crippled God succeeded in turning Felisin younger into his very corrupt version of Sha'ik Reborn, my question is to what end? Because this particular cult has no impact whatsoever in subsequent books and not even Ganoes, who is fully aware of it, makes any references in TCG.

Maybe I'm just focusing too much attention on this particular plot, since I am seemingly the only one who's bothered by the way the story "ends".

#123 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 November 2021 - 09:38 PM

I guess I'm the only one who got hung up on Felisin younger, as nobody else seems to care about her.

That being said, it still irritates me that the Sha'ik Reborn cult is never brought up again for the remainder of the series. I for one spent the entire time wondering what became of it, and right now my last hope is that the upcoming Witness Trilogy addresses this, though it's best not to hold my breath.

#124 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 22 November 2021 - 02:48 AM

View PostContrarianMalazanReader, on 21 November 2021 - 09:38 PM, said:

I guess I'm the only one who got hung up on Felisin younger, as nobody else seems to care about her.

That being said, it still irritates me that the Sha'ik Reborn cult is never brought up again for the remainder of the series. I for one spent the entire time wondering what became of it, and right now my last hope is that the upcoming Witness Trilogy addresses this, though it's best not to hold my breath.

I thought most of them ended up dead in Yghatan and a few joined the Felisin Fatter cult. The remainder if any survived the Poliel plagues would have joined other cults. The few comments in TGINW suggested 7C still has plenty.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users