• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2020 Malazan Re-read: Night of Knives Starts Monday, June 1st

#21 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 01 June 2020 - 11:27 AM

My favourite scene in the book.

Two shapes emerged from the shadows before and behind the figure. Claws. Needle-thin blades gleamed in their hands. The figure glanced behind, then returned its attention to the front. Kiska watched appalled while whatever the thing was shifted to forge ahead. Its body language shouted lunge in footing and balance, and the forward Claw yielded a half-step. Incredibly, at that instant, the armoured giant spun then sped behind as swiftly as a naked runner. The rear Claw parried a blur of blows. The figure pressed on, head-butting the Claw with his steel helm. Stunned, the Claw reeled back, then, as he fell, the figure slashed, ripping open his gut. A thrown blade slammed into the armoured back and jammed. Snarling, the warrior whirled around. It and the Claw stood facing each other, poised. Like a boar readying for a charge, the warrior rolled its shoulders. It pointed a mangled gauntleted hand at the Claw. ‘I’ll have your head this time, Possum.’ Kiska felt a chill from her scalp to her toes. Clearly, this Shadow-summoned fiend could not be stopped. No normal soldier went around dispatching Claws or vowing their destruction. Perhaps it was a warrior from the Emperor’s terrifying T’lan Imass legions. They were said to wear tatters of their ancient armour and to be as irresistible as a typhoon. The Claw laughed. ‘Then come. I’ll await you above.’ He stepped back into darkness and disappeared. Alone, the figure snorted its disgust. It rubbed its back against a wall like a bhederin scratching itself. The knife clattered to the stones. After that the warrior rolled its shoulders once more and clashed its swords together as if gathering itself to slaughter anyone it found.

#22 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 01 June 2020 - 11:37 AM

I'm around p. 190. Assuming Corinth made it out alive I wonder what became of her and for that matter any other former Bridge Burners. Do you think deserters and wayward members of the squad ascended along with the rest of them?

#23 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 01 June 2020 - 07:18 PM

Somehow I don't think so. I say that initially because I don't want that to ve true.

I guess my question would be whether they were part of whiskeyjacks company that went into Rakaru. My bias suggests these didnt or they'd still be with them.

Open to a better argument.

Edit; That Temper scene is ace, as is the aftermath with Surly.

How are you reading this, surely you're not typing out all of those quotes?

I splurged through to finish. I think like HoC this is one of the more straightforward books.

This post has been edited by Cyphon: 01 June 2020 - 07:21 PM

Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#24 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 01 June 2020 - 08:01 PM

I've bought all the Malazan books on Kindle so I can just copy paste interesting stuff.

It's not just the bridge burners who went through Raraku that ascended I think. If I recall correctly, the BBs that become a ghost army number in the hundreds if not thousands.

Finished NOK earlier. Good book. I didn't remember the Shadow Moon stuff taking up so much space, I only remembered Mocks Hold and the Azath.

I feel like the Stormrider sub plot ended too abruptly. There was some kind of victory scene missing in my opinion. Like Obo flipping them the bird.

#25 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 June 2020 - 08:31 PM

Recall dead hedge wanting to bail on the dead BBs, because there was a lot of nasty pieces of work in the unit.

also, possibly a GotMism, WJ had 2000 men under his commad before Pale, the BB as far as I always read it was the elite regiment in the army. not just a company.

#26 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 01 June 2020 - 08:38 PM

Yeah the storm riders angle/last momentus lines feels off. Is it ever really resolved?
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#27 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 01 June 2020 - 09:20 PM

Temper getting lost in the city/shadows, when the corpse sets the hound on his trail, he turns in the square, and there's seven avenues out. Relevant? 7 seems to be an important number, especially where the hounds are concerned, So is this a coincidence?

#28 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 02 June 2020 - 03:07 AM

An Easter egg perhaps?

#29 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 02 June 2020 - 08:28 AM

Another one, kiska leaves Seals quarters, knowing that Tays message is they're waiting at the wharf, and limls out onto...the way of the Eel.

Another little tie to the main series? Circle breaker makes his way to the wharf, at the instructions of the Eel

#30 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 09 June 2020 - 10:51 PM

Just finished. That was a much faster read than Erikson’s. Refreshing to have two main POVs and a tight narrative. I’ve never done a reread of NoK so don’t well remember how it ties into The Bonehunters but I’ll find out soon.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users