• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hugo award 2020

#21 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 June 2020 - 07:58 AM

I have to say though I normally feel QT's critique of the Hugos to be warranted, I quite like the selection this year. It's not a match for my own top 5, but I don't find any of the nominees to be bad choices, though I haven't read The City in the Middle of the Night.

This post has been edited by Morgoth: 05 June 2020 - 07:59 AM

Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#22 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 01 July 2020 - 07:43 PM

The Hugos always have been a bit of a popularity contest, almost all awards are really. Occasionally they get it right, occasionally they get it very wrong (Foundation's Edge should never have won anything. Ever)
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users