Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hunting for Kallor

#1 User is offline   Mythodikal 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 February 2020 - 07:25 AM

It has been years since I actually read this book, but I have now finished it in my audio book "re-read". I'm pretty sure I read the book twice upon purchasing it, and the earlier the books, the more the readings. Listening to the books is by far the medium that has had me digest the material in the shortest and most continuous amount of time. I'm pretty sure that by the time that Toll the Hounds came out that I was a daily reader on this site. With that said, I just looked at the thread titles and grazed a little, but didn't see this topic so I thought I would create it's own thread.

At the end of MoI you have the pledge from Korlat and Orfantal that they, for lack of a better term, wouldn't sleep until they brought Kallor down for Whiskeyjack. We go a few books with no mention, but then in TtH we get back to Darujhistan and Kallor comes back into the story. Cut further ahead and you get the "last stand" of Spinnock against Kallor to keep him away from the city while everything goes down (which btw brings a whole different element to Kallor that we hadn't seen before). So when it get's to the point that Kallor could have one but he lets Spinnock live because of his respect for Rake, at that point two dragons show up, duh duh duh.... One dragon pursues Kallor, but the other catches eyes with Spinnock and lands and forms into Korlat at the same time that Crone arrives. At this point Crone reminds Korlat that she has a potion cure from Endist Silann that will heal Spinnock. All while this is happening Orfantal keeps on the heals of Kallor, picking him up and digging his jaw into his shoulder, only to have Kallor slice his throat.

This is one of the parts that really, really bothers me! 1st part is that it was made clear in MoI that Korlat and Orfantal both knew that neither of them would be of any use against Kallor in a 1 on 1 situation, there was even hints that they would have to ambush him to be able to take him out even together. So.... in this situation where Korlat stops to save Spinnock, if he was so important to save, wouldn't she have in some was said "hey Orfantal, we gotta hold up bro, Spinnock is down here, let's save him". Even if some similar sentence that was much more in tune with the dialogue of the series was spoken then there could have been a very quick explanation scene. Korlat would have to make a split decision on saving Spinnock or going with Orfantal who decided to chase Kallor on his own. It just seemed like a very sloppy end to a confrontation that I'm sure we were all looking for. Orfantal walks twelve steps and dies, but Korlat doesn't care because Spinnock survived! And we all know how important he is.

Apologize for any misspelling in names,,, like I said, it's been all audio books for this round through.

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 February 2020 - 03:17 PM

View PostMythodikal, on 13 February 2020 - 07:25 AM, said:

... it was made clear in MoI that Korlat and Orfantal both knew that neither of them would be of any use against Kallor in a 1 on 1 situation,...

Where?

(Aside: going to revise your thread title slightly )
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 February 2020 - 04:29 PM

Don't think it does. It just reads:

Anomander Rake was at Korlat's side. He said nothing for a long time, then he turned away. 'Korlat, how will you answer this?'
She replied tonelessly, 'Orfantal makes ready, Lord. We will hunt Kallor down, my brother and I.'
Rake nodded. 'When you do, leave him alive. He has earned Dragnipur.'

Nothing about Kallor being too strong for them individually, as far as I can tell.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 13 February 2020 - 04:29 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 February 2020 - 04:34 PM

If anything, Rake of all people is saying he thinks they can take him alive and deliver him. And really, there are probably not many beings that two Draconic soletaken Andii would not be able to defeat.

Fair to say they underestimated Kallor, and Korlat distracted by Spin was bad timing as was what seemed like Orfantal distracted by Rake's ritual.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 19 February 2020 - 07:30 PM

From Rake saying to leave Kallor alive so that he can be imprisoned in Dragnipur, it seems that they're all fairly confident that Orfantal and Korlat can handle Kallor. Also mistakes are believable, IMO. Korlat and Orfantal are close, but they don't have a hivemind. Orfantal probably didn't want to lose a chance to get Kallor.
This might be due to difficulty of tracking Kallor between convergences. They knew that he'd be drawn to what was going down in Darujhistan. But it could have been years before they got another lead on him.

Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users