Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#3101 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 November 2021 - 07:49 PM

You know unvaccinated sperm will be worth more than gold soon?)

Look forward to seeing speculation on this in the investing thread soon!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#3102 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 26 November 2021 - 08:10 PM

jizzcoin.

#3103 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 November 2021 - 08:38 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 26 November 2021 - 08:10 PM, said:

jizzcoin.

It's real but it's called $CumRocket:

https://www.gizmodo....ything-to-know/

After reading some reviews of the Razer Zephyr it seems it may have a major design flaw that allows air to leak in around the filters. Or it could just be a manufacturing defect in some of them. I'll look into it some more but for now I'm glad I didn't manage to buy one during any of the first five drops....

'While some degree of immune escape is possible, and the presence of the E484K mutation is suggestive of change in that direction, immune escape alone cannot explain the rapid the increase in prevalence. If that's not [...] founder effect, it must have higher transmissibility.

[...]

[Omicron] is increasing in South Africa at a time when Delta has been is decreasing. *If* the turn-around is due to increased transmissibility, instead of other e.g. behavior factors, it's going to a rough winter.'

https://twitter.com/...058582559719427

#3104 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 November 2021 - 10:36 PM

So apparently the WHO skipped the letter 'nu' to avoid confusing people? Just when I thought my opinion of the WHO couldn't get any worse...

'The WHO have also given it a name and ended days of speculation that we would end up in the slightly ridiculous position of calling the new variant the "Nu variant".

There have even been arguments about the correct pronunciation of the Greek letter Nu (it's technically a "Nee").

Instead, you can guarantee we'll be talking a lot about Omicron in the weeks to come.'

https://www.bbc.com/.../world-59438723

No new nu nee nee.

#3105 User is offline   James Hutton 

• High Scholar of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 26 November 2021 - 10:49 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 26 November 2021 - 08:10 PM, said:

jizzcoin.

On Black Friday Sale as well?
Secret message: "Keep up the good work, yours truly"

#3106 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 27 November 2021 - 07:00 PM

Yeah, omicron is the new hotness.

#3107 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 November 2021 - 02:14 PM

It sounds like Omicron, while being more transmissible, seems also milder overall? So perhaps Omicron is the expected endemic level of the virus where it starts to behave more like a yearly annoyance than something that will kill people in large amounts? I'm sure we need more info before that is a matter of fact, but it's a nice bit of calming news after a flurry of a few days of scary headlines about the amount of mutations meaning it could blow past vaccines.

https://www.bbc.com/...&at_campaign=64

The other news that Pfizer said they need 60-100 days to adapt the vaccine for it anyways, so I would wager a large chunk of boosters could be the modified vials?

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 29 November 2021 - 02:15 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3108 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 29 November 2021 - 02:49 PM

One things for sure, covid giving us all lessons in the Greek alphabet. Classical languages resurgence post-pandemic.

Reading Mac's rants - covid endgame since we failed to contain it has always been that it becomes endemic. It's going to exist in the population for the rest of our lives. The people who die today of flu will in future die of flu or covid and there may be more deaths overall. What we don't know is where we are in the journey between pandemic to endemic. We know vaccines help and we know there will be waves that after the biggest wave will progressively get smaller. With the levels of infection and vaccine coverage in the UK it is definitely going to get less bad over time. It's how much less bad and over what period of time that is the question. Odds are with us that we will be in better shape for next winter. Unless a brain melting child killing strain emerges....
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#3109 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 29 November 2021 - 03:35 PM

But what happened to the epsilon variant? I'm presuming there must be a whole slew of variants that which aren't of concern which is why we have jumped so many letters from Delta to Omicron.

Missed opportunity with the new variant not being the nu variant though.

#3110 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 29 November 2021 - 05:50 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 29 November 2021 - 03:35 PM, said:

But what happened to the epsilon variant? I'm presuming there must be a whole slew of variants that which aren't of concern which is why we have jumped so many letters from Delta to Omicron.

I heard this is exactly it. We only hear of the ones that have a mutation big enough to cause concern AFAIK.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#3111 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 29 November 2021 - 08:46 PM

I was ranting?

#3112 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 29 November 2021 - 09:18 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 29 November 2021 - 03:35 PM, said:

Epsilon and the other intervening letters (with the notable exception of xi, which is after nu) were variants of interest that were downgraded to 'de-escalated variants'.

WHO claims it skipped Xi 'because of its use as a common surname around the world', but critics accuse them of just not wanting to offend Xi Jinping's delicate sensibilities.

https://www.thedaily...n-covid-variant

('Xi [...] was so threatened by his resemblance to Winnie the Pooh that the fictional bear was kicked out of China with his movies, TV series and stuffed toys banned [...] Pooh [had become] a common nickname for Xi Jinping'.)

https://www.wionews....the-pooh-313823

https://www.wionews....the-pooh-313823

#3113 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 01 December 2021 - 07:42 AM

View PostMacros, on 29 November 2021 - 08:46 PM, said:

I was ranting?

Never!
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#3114 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 01 December 2021 - 08:39 AM

look those UFC guys that went to fight the Muai Thai fighters got absolutely battered alright?

#3115 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 01 December 2021 - 06:54 PM

Still early, but seems like initial reports of omicron variant brings milder symptoms, so that's encouraging.

#3116 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 01 December 2021 - 10:20 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 01 December 2021 - 06:54 PM, said:

Still early, but seems like initial reports of omicron variant brings milder symptoms, so that's encouraging.

'If Omicron ends up being super contagious, for example, but mild in its symptoms, that might even be a good thing—a perfect variant, just in time for Christmas.

[...] the data are very limited and prone to bias. Fewer than 250 cases have been reported worldwide, and the plurality of them are from South Africa, where a younger-than-average populace might be less susceptible to COVID complications in general.'

https://www.theatlan...variant/620870/

'many of the Omicron cases reported in South Africa have been in younger people, so it’s not clear how the virus will behave if it infects people with health conditions or older adults. Many of the other cases have been identified in travelers, and as [...] a biostatistician [...] noted, that means those people were feeling well enough to get on a plane. [...]

So far, the rising hospitalization count in South Africa — particularly in Gauteng province, which has had the largest Omicron outbreak — matches the proportion of people hospitalized in past waves'

https://www.statnews...o-early-to-say/

#3117 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 December 2021 - 01:55 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 01 December 2021 - 10:20 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 01 December 2021 - 06:54 PM, said:

'If Omicron ends up being super contagious, for example, but mild in its symptoms, that might even be a good thing—a perfect variant, just in time for Christmas.

Yep, it could even be the final form endemic version we will deal with from here on out. If it becomes something we can all generally survive and just makes us feel flu-like for a few days when we get it, I can stomach that as a yearly possibility, and they will likely add the covid shot as a sort of yearly booster like the flu-shot too.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3118 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 03 December 2021 - 07:38 AM

That's all fine but we don't know if the milder effects also apply to long covid...
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#3119 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 03 December 2021 - 08:49 AM

Anime NYC attendee got a confirmed case of it. Not good, but to be expected in such close quarters. Looks like everyone who went is getting a test then!
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#3120 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 December 2021 - 01:24 PM

View PostCyphon, on 03 December 2021 - 07:38 AM, said:

That's all fine but we don't know if the milder effects also apply to long covid...

We already are hearing that it's not doling out Anosmia (loss of taste and smell) to people, so that's one of the long term COVID symptom gone.

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users