Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#2061 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 02 November 2020 - 03:36 PM

Thanks man. Yeah, it's just hard when it comes to family because you want the best for them, even if they don't really see it as serious as we do.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2062 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 04 November 2020 - 10:42 PM

So another 4 week lockdown starts in the UK tonight... and my life changes... in no way whatsoever *Laughs Bitterly In Shielding At Home For The Last 7 Months*

It's not been all bad. I haven't had to deal with my colleagues in person in that time - although they can still be suitably annoying remotely. And I now have a 10 second commute to work each day.

This post has been edited by stone monkey: 04 November 2020 - 10:44 PM

If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#2063 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 November 2020 - 05:30 AM

I guess in Denmark if you fancy yourself a fancy man, with all the fancy trappings, there's a fancy price to pay.

Mink variant of coronavirus spreads to humans in Denmark; full cull planned

#2064 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 November 2020 - 07:13 AM

I'm not surprised any more that Northern Ireland's numbers are bad.

Stopped at the shop on the way to work this morning for a coffee.
Of say ... Ten customers I was literally the only one wearing a mask.

Compare that with the republic, you will not get served without one.

Fuck people

#2065 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 05 November 2020 - 08:55 AM

View PostMacros, on 05 November 2020 - 07:13 AM, said:

I'm not surprised any more that Northern Ireland's numbers are bad.

Stopped at the shop on the way to work this morning for a coffee.
Of say ... Ten customers I was literally the only one wearing a mask.

Compare that with the republic, you will not get served without one.

Fuck people

I think this is pretty much Britain all over to be fair.

Food shopping tonight will be interesting.

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#2066 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 05 November 2020 - 01:59 PM

I went out to the pub last night. First proper night out at the pub since March. It was pretty irresponsible to go I think but I really needed to be out and my friend was very persuasive when she suggested it. It was a really cold night but the pub had a nice setup outside with a canopy and heaters and covid rates in our area are pretty low. What surprised me was how busy the pub was inside. They met all the rules for distancing with fewer tables etc but because it was cold they had the windows and doors shut. It will be a long time before you catch me voluntarily in a busy room without ventilation. It felt amazing to see people willing to do it.

Also another friend joined us for a short while. She works for a management consultancy and is now on the governments payroll for Test and Trace. She said it is an absolute shit show!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#2067 User is online   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 05 November 2020 - 02:29 PM

You're doing the right thing about avoiding busy rooms with no ventilation.

Avoid the "greenhouse" setups where you're in a plastic bubble. Just be outside.

Zeynep Tufekci has been yelling about how dissipation of aerosols and our spit in the outside air is generally what we want if we're not using HEPA filters.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#2068 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 05 November 2020 - 08:25 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 05 November 2020 - 01:59 PM, said:

I went out to the pub last night. First proper night out at the pub since March. It was pretty irresponsible to go I think but I really needed to be out and my friend was very persuasive when she suggested it. It was a really cold night but the pub had a nice setup outside with a canopy and heaters and covid rates in our area are pretty low. What surprised me was how busy the pub was inside. They met all the rules for distancing with fewer tables etc but because it was cold they had the windows and doors shut. It will be a long time before you catch me voluntarily in a busy room without ventilation. It felt amazing to see people willing to do it.

Also another friend joined us for a short while. She works for a management consultancy and is now on the governments payroll for Test and Trace. She said it is an absolute shit show!

Of course it is. It is because this government keeps hiring external management consultancy agencies (no disrespect to your friend) instead of letting it be run nationally by the NHS. Because how could the NHS possibly organise things better than a bunch of private agencies with Tory board members? Obv.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 05 November 2020 - 08:25 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#2069 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 06 November 2020 - 12:30 AM

With all the details of spread and aerosolized droplets and all that, do you guys ever think about that when you smell someone's fart? I know it's yucky, but I think this pandemic gave me a strong case of TMI in some respects. I think I will forever be borderline traumatized when that rando crop dusts the elevator (I think you guys call them a 'lift') before he steps out. I guess a fart can't kill you though, so, you know, cloud/silver lining and all that.

#2070 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 06 November 2020 - 08:57 AM

I thought the pubs had been shut down entirely barring takeaway of alcohol for the duration of this lockdown?
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#2071 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 06 November 2020 - 12:51 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 06 November 2020 - 08:57 AM, said:

I thought the pubs had been shut down entirely barring takeaway of alcohol for the duration of this lockdown?

Wednesday evening last chance blowout.

Just about recovered from my hangover and haven't got covid symptoms yet. Win win.

#2072 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 08 November 2020 - 02:12 PM

Looking forward to Biden's covid taskforce coming up with a plan. I guess they can start putting out opinion pre-Jan 20th and shame Trump in comparison even if they can't take action. States could follow recommendations that don't need Federal support as well I suppose. Still, I have no idea what they really can do since this genie is out of the bottle big time in the US. Certainly a good time to have someone familiar with the mechanics of leadership coming in.

#2073 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 November 2020 - 02:25 PM

Liz, all this spoofing in the papers from the Tories about a vaccine incoming soon, total soon hogwash or what have your heard?

#2074 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 08 November 2020 - 02:39 PM

I wouldn't put any stock in it until someone without skin in the game says it's ready. And even then just because it's a functioning vaccine doesn't mean it's the best one or even a good one. I'm planning my life on the basis that there will not be a decent vaccine in time to be useful this winter and I remain to be convinced that there will ever be one.

#2075 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 08 November 2020 - 02:54 PM

In Denmark we've heard that there could be a vaccine available by the end of the year but even if there is it won't be widely available before spring earliest.

And then of course you have to worry about mutations. Denmark is culling it's entire Mink population from the fur industry this week because of fear the million little rodents were cooking up a new version of the virus.

#2076 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 08 November 2020 - 03:02 PM

Even if a decent one is approved you have manufacturing ramp up first. Distribution to health care workers second - and it should be healthcare workers globally, not just in the lucky country to have a functional vaccine. Then it should go to vulnerable people globally. Then you can probably let low risk people go about their lives and be damned to the consequences as you slowly vaccinate all of them too. But it all depends on the efficacy of the vaccine and how long it maintains immunity as to what population coverage you need at any one time.

#2077 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 08 November 2020 - 05:02 PM

Get your flu jab and rona jab every winter.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#2078 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 08 November 2020 - 05:26 PM

'How a Coronavirus Mutation in Minks Could Wreak Havoc on Vaccine Development

[...] mutated in captive minks, producing a strain of the coronavirus that is not readily stopped by antibodies to the dominant strain of the virus. More troublingly, this new strain is still transmissible from minks to humans, raising dire concerns about the efficacy of vaccines currently in development worldwide.

[...] Experts warn that if the outbreak of this mutant strain is not sufficiently contained, the world could be facing a second pandemic.

[...] What makes this mutation so much more troubling than previous mutations is not that the mutation increases how quickly the virus will spread, nor that it increases the severity of resultant disease. It's the fact that the immune system cannot transfer knowledge about one form of the virus in fighting the other form. From the perspective of your immune system, they are two different viruses altogether.

In other words, if you have survived COVID-19, your immune system remains largely unequipped to battle the mink strain. Once pharmaceutical companies finish their monthslong race to devise an effective COVID vaccine, the vaccine would likely provide little protection against the emerging strain. The virus has mutated into what could eventually be thought of as COVID 2.0 if the Danes fail to contain its spread.'

https://slate.com/te...ks-denmark.html

'Denmark mink Covid crisis worsens

If the coronavirus is mutating, will it affect vaccines?

Coronavirus mutations are not expected to alter vaccine efficacy, a World Health Organization scientist said in June.

Speaking at a briefing on Friday, another WHO expert, Maria Van Kekhove, cautioned that "mutations are normal."'

https://www.cnn.com/...intl/index.html

If the Slate article is accurate, CNN and the WHO seem to be spreading extremely misleading claims about the effect of this mutation on (at least most of) the vaccines being developed.

[Edit:

'Researchers at the SSI found that antibodies from people who recovered from coronavirus were less effective at neutralising the mutant strain, but have not made details of their experiments public. [...]

While the Danish scientists believe the mutations are concerning because of their potential to make vaccines less effective, one expert told the Guardian the fears were overblown [...]

Amid the uncertainty, scientists advising the UK government took part in talks over the weekend to acquire samples of the mutant virus from the Danish authorities. The virus will go through a series of tests to investigate whether or not it evades antibodies from recovered patients and those enrolled in vaccine trials.

[...] mink are highly susceptible to coronavirus, and since they outnumber humans three to one in Denmark, it was sensible to cull the animals to prevent them fuelling the epidemic.

Balloux criticised what he called “alarmist” messaging from Denmark over the threat the mutations posed, and said the cluster five variant may well have died out in humans because it failed to spread effectively.

“I really don’t think we should be particularly concerned about them. There are many other mutations not acquired in mink that are more concerning in terms of vaccine escape,” he said. One such mutation, known as N439K, has already been found to confer some resistance to antibodies.'

https://www.theguard...nish-mink-farms

]

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 08 November 2020 - 05:47 PM

#2079 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 08 November 2020 - 08:13 PM

View PostMacros, on 08 November 2020 - 02:25 PM, said:

Liz, all this spoofing in the papers from the Tories about a vaccine incoming soon, total soon hogwash or what have your heard?

All I know is that they are pushing hard. We had a whole bunch of vaccine trial samples in the freezer which we intended to ship to Oxford this week, but I actually got a call on Monday almost begging us to ship asap. They didn't even want us to hold back the ones that were still in processing. So 7000 samples got sent across on Thursday, which apparently were redirected for processing on Friday. I don't think there is a chance in hell that we will see a vaccine approved and in clinic at least until late spring, but there is a real sense of urgency all of a sudden. Which makes me think that they are trying to get something together before Christmas, so they at the very least can make some sort of promising statement.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#2080 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 08 November 2020 - 08:16 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 08 November 2020 - 03:02 PM, said:

Even if a decent one is approved you have manufacturing ramp up first.

As far as I know they have already started to mass-produce the Oxford vaccine in India, so they have it ready to go once the green light is given. I think they are quite confident that the vaccine has a protective effect and works in all age groups. So I suspect they have seen a significant decrease in symptomatic patients in the vaccine group compared to the mock group.

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users