Malazan Empire: COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV) - Malazan Empire

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV)

#1881 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 September 2020 - 09:14 PM

I thought the consensus was that Halloween...a night when tonnes of kids go from random house to random house and are given multiple packages of candy from strangers...or people dress up and get slovenly drunk at parties indoors with strangers...was off for 2020.

Seems like a COVID vector petrie dish in the offing...but maybe that's just me?

We are planning to buy some candy for the kiddos and hide it around our place for them to dress up and go find, and then watch a Halloween kids flick.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 04 September 2020 - 09:15 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1882 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 September 2020 - 09:02 AM

Well it was bound to happen but after over 100 days Covid free, another case has arrived on the Isle of Man. They've been off island and were self isolating on return and have kept to the rules so it is very contained so there are no changes announced. Could be worse I suppose but still frustrating.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1883 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 07 September 2020 - 05:25 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 September 2020 - 09:14 PM, said:

I thought the consensus was that Halloween...a night when tonnes of kids go from random house to random house and are given multiple packages of candy from strangers...or people dress up and get slovenly drunk at parties indoors with strangers...was off for 2020.

Seems like a COVID vector petrie dish in the offing...but maybe that's just me?

We are planning to buy some candy for the kiddos and hide it around our place for them to dress up and go find, and then watch a Halloween kids flick.

'US holidays during Covid: yes to trick-or-treating, no to Santa mall photos

For epidemiologists, nothing is more scary about Halloween this year than the idea of huge groups of people congregating in the same small area.

Costume parties thrown by adults come with big risks, but there is some hope for children looking to trick-or-treat this year.

"Trick-or-treating is something that can still go on and happen safely with just a few measures in place," said Sandra Albrecht, assistant professor of epidemiology at Columbia University.

To mitigate potential spread, trick-or-treaters will have to stay in as small of groups as possible with fewer adults supervising than usual. Everyone giving and taking candy should be wearing masks that cover their nose and mouths.

Though health experts are less concerned about the virus spreading by the handling of candy, treat-givers should consider distributing goodies with tongs or grabbers, or even consider finding a creative way to toss candy at trick-or-treaters. One epidemiologist with Dear Pandemic, a Covid safety advice effort on social media, said she is planning on dressing up as a pageant queen, throwing candy off a home-made parade float in her yard'

https://www.theguard...-coronavirus-us

Have some sort of horrifying undead(-or-whatever-)scarecrow-like figure with guts stuffed with treats that spray down (controlledly enough) when you push from the other side?...

Around the beginning of lockdown, I thought Halloween might be the one holiday that would be okay, provided people wear masks. In retrospect, since airborn transmission seems to be a major issue, wearing a mask *over* an even marginally effective mask could make it even more difficult to breathe... with the exception of Halloween masks that would themselves be effective. It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to make Halloween masks that are highly effective against airborn transmission, particularly if people are willing to spend a bit more and lug around more of a costume. (Lots of Darth Vaders and other cyborgs this year?...)

Odds of mass vaccination by October's ending seem to be pretty much nil by now.

Trump would probably want to time mass mobilization of his 'vaccine' to be right before the election... assuming his followers are gullible enough to use it (and 'Heaven' no doubt) as a rationalization for risking death (or prolonged sickness...).

'What Young, Healthy People Have to Fear From COVID-19

The White House's new science adviser says: nothing. The science disagrees.

[...] When you multiply the hospitalization rate for 30-something men (about 1.2 percent) by the chronic-illness rate of hospitalized patients (almost 90 percent), you get about 1 percent. That means a guy my age has one-in-100 chance of developing a long-term illness after contracting COVID-19. For context, the estimated infection-fatality rate for somebody in their 60s is 0.7 percent, according to the same study in Science.

You might be used to thinking of 30-somethings as safe and seniors as at risk in this pandemic. But if a man in his 30s and a man in his 60s both contract COVID-19, it is more likely that the 30-something will develop a months-long illness than that the 60-something will die, according to this research. (The calculation above doesn't even include the countless long-haulers who never went to the hospital.)

More frightening than what we're learning now is what we cannot yet know: the truly long-term—as in, decades-long—implications of this disease for the body. "We know that hepatitis C leads to liver cancer, we know that human papillomavirus leads to cervical cancer, we know that HIV leads to certain cancers," Howard Forman, a health-policy professor at Yale, told James Hamblin and Katherine Wells of The Atlantic. "We have no idea whether having had this infection means that, 10 years from now, you have an elevated risk of lymphoma."'

https://www.theatlan...ovid-19/616087/

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 07 September 2020 - 05:27 PM

#1884 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 September 2020 - 05:30 PM

Denmark is heading into a second wave. The past month new infections have been steadily increasing, to the point we're seeing more than a hundred new infections per day which is where we were at back in March around the shut down. We had around 230 new infections today and the government did a news conference, putting a few minor restrictions back in action.

We're better equipped and more knowledgeable about the virus today, so I can't see the government doing a complete shut down again, if nothing else because it's too costly. But the next month will be... Interesting.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 07 September 2020 - 05:33 PM

#1885 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 September 2020 - 07:37 PM

I think the knowledge and widespread (everywhere except the fucking UK) wearing of masks in Europe as well as increased sanitation etc will mitigate it a bit. But it's coming for sure

#1886 User is offline   glasseye 

• Recruit

Posted 07 September 2020 - 08:03 PM

View PostMacros, on 07 September 2020 - 07:37 PM, said:

I think the knowledge and widespread (everywhere except the fucking UK) wearing of masks in Europe as well as increased sanitation etc will mitigate it a bit. But it's coming for sure

The secondary schools in the UK will fuel the second wave. No masks except in lockdown areas. Bubbles of 200-300 kids practically pointless as they all mix on their way to and from school. Messaging has already changed from kids don't spread virus to they don't spread it more than adults do.

Meanwhile the halfwit plays his games on Brexit and makes us even more of a laughing stock.

#1887 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 07 September 2020 - 08:13 PM

And he's now actively (with the DUPs co-opperation) trying to restart the troubles in Northern Ireland, one of the many shit shows he has been trying to sneak through under the covid fog blanket.

Utter fruitloop of a man

#1888 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 08 September 2020 - 07:06 AM

I had my first day back in the office in Leeds yesterday (they're rotaing everyone in once a week).

My god, one day was enough to see why we're on the brink of local lockdown. Mask wearing wasn't too bad but vritually nobody is bothering to try and distance. It's as if people have just given up and assumed it's over and done with. I dread to think what this winter will be like.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#1889 User is offline   glasseye 

• Recruit

Posted 08 September 2020 - 09:05 AM

View PostMacros, on 07 September 2020 - 08:13 PM, said:

And he's now actively (with the DUPs co-opperation) trying to restart the troubles in Northern Ireland, one of the many shit shows he has been trying to sneak through under the covid fog blanket.

Utter fruitloop of a man

I don't live in Northern Ireland but I still went to school with someone who was killed by an IRA bomb. We can't let the fool restart the troubles.

#1890 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 September 2020 - 07:07 PM

6 months . . .

I remember the evening of March 11, the evening news announcing the cancellation of NBA games.

Then I remember thinking to myself two days later on Friday the 13th - "hmmm, this Friday the 13th is really going to live up to its legend as being a day for bad luck."

Then four days later, on St. Patrick's Day (March 17) my state's shut down orders were in full effect. I think the governor, if I remember correctly, had mandated the shutdown on Sunday, March 15th, two days prior.

6 months . . .

Strange, 6 months to the day it is Sept. 11 (or 9/11).

#1891 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 13 September 2020 - 07:48 AM

View PostMacros, on 07 September 2020 - 08:13 PM, said:

Utter fruitloop of a man

I don't think I've ever been more ashamed to be British than right now. We're plumbing the depths. Apparently during a Conservative MP Zoom call there were technical issues and they lost Boris for a bit so someone filled the time by singing Rule Britannia. I kind of want the earth to open up and swallow us all.

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 08 September 2020 - 07:06 AM, said:

I had my first day back in the office in Leeds yesterday (they're rotaing everyone in once a week).

My god, one day was enough to see why we're on the brink of local lockdown. Mask wearing wasn't too bad but vritually nobody is bothering to try and distance. It's as if people have just given up and assumed it's over and done with. I dread to think what this winter will be like.

Yep.

My son started school last week. On Wednesday we got a message saying half of his year groups teachers were going into isolation for 2 weeks as a kid in the year above they taught the previous week was positive. That kids whole class is in isolation too. My son is in a year group bubble of 60. So I have resigned myself to the fact that he's going to be home A LOT. And that's even if we don't get it.

I still kind of just want to catch it and know I've had it. Just to be sure I'm not one of those who dies from it. But then what if I am one of those who dies from it.

I'm going for a drink and to the cinema tonight. I'm not sure it's the right thing to do but so far only 2 other seats in the place have been booked so maybe if everyone else thinks it is too risky then it will be pretty cool. My local cinema is an art deco restoration run by a charitable foundation and I want them to survive the pandemic. And the friend who persuaded me out is having a hard time and wants to talk I think. And I just want to go to the movies damnit.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#1892 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 13 September 2020 - 10:36 AM

We went out for a meal last night with a small group of friends that we haven't seen face to face this year.
Sat at our own table, well away from other patrons, we made sure to be a late booking, so that we weren't turfed out on our ear quickly to clear the table for next.

I know the rules say x y and z. But let's face it the rules in Britain are fucking farcial, we sat on for about 5 hours.
Didn't leave our table excepting the odd toilet break, were the last one to leave and bailed the guts of two bottles of wine each down our throats.
It's the closest any of us have had to a night in the pub since lockdown began, and the restaurant usually closes the doors at 11, but I think they know people aren't able to roll into the bar afterwards and let a few games stretch it out, which was awesome of them, and by the rules totally wrong, but by common sense (a rare commodity) was totally fine as we were sitting drinking with our group for an hour and half anyway.

Not sure where this waffle was going.

But hey, bring back the ra!

#1893 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 13 September 2020 - 10:06 PM

Well I just had a nice Sunday evening out. Four people in the bar I was in and eight people in the cinema screen. So long as other people stay away and so long as movies are on I might just go a bit more.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#1894 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 14 September 2020 - 12:20 PM

Glad you had a nice evening!

My friend's little girl was back at school five days and is now home for two weeks because of a case in the class. Unforutnately this means friend can't work for two weeks either. As you say, unforutnately I suspect it won't be the last time.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#1895 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 September 2020 - 12:31 PM

These are the current number of new cases per day since march (In Denmark).

We're well past the first spike in March where the country closed down. Thankfully most of the new infected are young and stupid people who aren't getting so sick that they're clogging up the hospitals. The number of new hospital admittances are rising but nowhere as bad as in the spring. Yet. New deaths are few and far between.

And of course more people are getting tested 6 months later because our capacity and ease of access to testing facilities have increased.

But just looking at that graph. Phew.

Attached File  Statistisk 1.PNG (13.85K)
Number of downloads: 0

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 14 September 2020 - 12:36 PM

#1896 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 14 September 2020 - 01:20 PM

Yeah, testing figures are hard to interpret due to the massively increased testing worldwide. I think more telling are the percentage of positive tests in the tested group (going up or staying stable) and the nimber of hospital admissions.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#1897 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 September 2020 - 01:39 PM

Our numbers are slowly climbing again sadly...and it's hard to not see it as people who are over the pandemic even though it's not over yet.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1898 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 14 September 2020 - 03:51 PM

Off topic from the actual discussion

Conversation with my 4 year old.

"Dad, when can we go to SkyZone(trampoline park) again ?"

-I dont know sugar, we cant right now, not until the Coronavirus is over.

"Well, when is it going to be over?"

-I'm sorry, I dont know, hopefully next year.

"Well, can you call and ask somebody when its going to be over?"

Then its me, trying not to get emotional as i tell my kid she can't do something she wants do.

I feel like im so fucking angry all the dam time. Watching people around here act like its over, or they're just bored with it. We had 39 cases yesterday, 30 of which are from the local college baseball team, which means it making its way through the community college. The high school went remote because they had so many cases.

Then i get on tv and see the president of the United States flouting local guidelines and holding rallies. Can you imagine the fucking outrage from Republicans if a Democratic president had allowed almost 200,000 citizens to die? Fuck that, can you imagine if a Democratic president had shut everything down and kept the deaths in the 16000 range? They would still fucking throw a shit fit.

I'm so fucking exhausted of this shit.

50 days. Then either it will hopefully change or i can just give up all hope.

Sorry about the rant.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#1899 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 14 September 2020 - 03:57 PM

Mate, that's a rant I would change like only 5 local details of and it's my rant. This is infuriating and terrifying and an absolutely Grit 0 sandpaper grind to get through.

Please don't apologize for that rant. I am really happy you're connecting the daily life parts to the president and the senate.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#1900 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 September 2020 - 03:58 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 14 September 2020 - 03:51 PM, said:

I feel like im so fucking angry all the dam time. Watching people around here act like its over, or they're just bored with it. We had 39 cases yesterday, 30 of which are from the local college baseball team, which means it making its way through the community college. The high school went remote because they had so many cases.

Yep. Same here. Two weeks ago our whole province was under 100cases per day...and we really thought we'd nailed it down enough to start School and that people were doing their damndest....now today we are over 300+ cases again (that's June numbers for our city) and climbing (I wager we will be 500 by tomorrow) and it's becuase SO many people thought that under100 cases meant it was over enough to go back to normal...NO, it's STILL a pandemic!

so it's hard AF not to be salty about it as someone who has been straitly adhering to the guidelines. Some of my family are even acting like we are being too cautious...like fuck. How do we deal?

And our schools haven't even started fully till tomorrow and the next day...it's going to be an absolute disaster.

I feel your pain man, I truly do.

My eldest daughter mostly gets it, but she still gets upset when she sees her friends (when we drop her brother off at daycare she sees them from afar) and can't interact with them. Or she sees kids al over the playground...and we can't let her go do that either. I want this to not affect her emotionally or scar her...but now I worry it will.

Share this topic:

• 174 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users