• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2020 Malazan Re-read: Gardens of the Moon Starts January 1st

#81 User is offline   Zerv 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 January 2020 - 05:18 PM

Figured that the death of Ganoes's father was a red herring with regard to the payment for the resurrection (Felisin being the real deal). Tavore says that his health is failing in Ch.1 of GotM; seems unlikely that Hood would be content with taking the life of someone who might be dying anyway.
That Baudin quote is fairly compelling, however...

#82 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 10 January 2020 - 05:22 PM

Even if Tavore's dad were a Talon (and I'm not so sure that just because it happened to Baudin means it is an organization-wide trend), no reason to necessarily assume he was a high-ranking one. If anything, being a high-ranking Talon would make it more likely Laseen would know he's a Talon and have purged him like the other high-ranking Talons she killed, or at the very least it'd be odd for her to trust his daughter so much.

Unless you want to argue Laseen was in on the whole thing and all the anti-ST/etc moves were decoy moves, but I don't buy that.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#83 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 10 January 2020 - 05:26 PM

Considering Tavore turns out to be a Talon, and Baudin's comment about it being inherited, it's not a ridiculous concept.

I would have thought if Daddy Paran was Talon it would have been a little more explicit at least once, but in MBF that's a silly thought.

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#84 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 10 January 2020 - 05:27 PM

That's a fair point. I guess it doesn't really matter that much in the larger scheme of things anyway, could even have been a grandparent I guess. I just always assumed that because she took it out of a fsmily crested chest that it was an heirloom.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#85 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 10 January 2020 - 06:59 PM

I never considered Father Paran to be a Talon but I can see the angle. I cannot recall anything that could outright dismiss the theory.

As for who goes through for Ganoes, I always thought that it was Felisin as Oponn states, "I'll look for another, a death premature. Meaningless, even." Whilst Father Paran was expected to die with his "weakening state."

And hell, what is more meaningless than when Tavore kills Felisin...

Really not relevant at all but I was scimming over the start again on my way to work and a random line had me musing away...

When ST summons the Hounds and releases them, Cots states, "Must you complicate things?" As if they weren't apart of the plan or Cots wasn't aware to this part of the plan.

Makes me think as earlier discussed that this was all just a side show and the real game began elsewhere...

This post has been edited by champ: 10 January 2020 - 07:02 PM

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#86 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 10 January 2020 - 07:20 PM

If we accept that 'the real game' was always to save the world by foiling the CG's various plans and freeing the CG, can the Hound's Kanese buffet lunch be anything but a feint?

Alternately, ST was absolutely bugnuts obsessed with revenge and Cots allowed ST to pursue revenge while Cots furthered the anti-CG plan, but i like that explanation less.

#87 User is offline   Keysi 

• Fist

Posted 11 January 2020 - 12:11 PM

This whole conversation about the motive behind Sorry and letting loose the hounds has always been one of my biggest questions. I just can't work it out. Live it though.

Also- any tips on what I can say to my girlfriend to get her to persevere with the series? She's reading GoTM but not all that engrossed, not to the level I make out I was. I've told her most people feel this way with this book and by book 2 or 3 they are hooked.

I've told her if she finishes the main series I'll marry her so that's keeping her going, but I want her to enjoy it too.

I might say to her I'll marry her if she finishes up to the end if book 3. By that time she'll either be totally engrossed and hooked or if she's not she's probably not worth marrying anyway.

#88 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 12 January 2020 - 05:13 AM

View PostKeysi, on 11 January 2020 - 12:11 PM, said:

This whole conversation about the motive behind Sorry and letting loose the hounds has always been one of my biggest questions. I just can't work it out. Live it though.

Also- any tips on what I can say to my girlfriend to get her to persevere with the series? She's reading GoTM but not all that engrossed, not to the level I make out I was. I've told her most people feel this way with this book and by book 2 or 3 they are hooked.

I've told her if she finishes the main series I'll marry her so that's keeping her going, but I want her to enjoy it too.

I might say to her I'll marry her if she finishes up to the end if book 3. By that time she'll either be totally engrossed and hooked or if she's not she's probably not worth marrying anyway.

You've got this.

Nothing can possibly go wrong.

#89 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:21 AM

I finished and I'm desperately resisting the urge to go straight into Deadhouse Gates. Still such a satisfying book. It feels more action packed than I remember and/or in comparison to my memory of the other books. That said I'd forgotten a lot of GotM.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#90 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 12 January 2020 - 12:23 PM

I'm already into DG.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#91 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 12 January 2020 - 12:44 PM

View PostTraveller, on 12 January 2020 - 12:23 PM, said:

I'm already into DG.

Hot dang, an enabler!

#92 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 12 January 2020 - 01:14 PM

Have some restraint, you gluttons!

#93 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 January 2020 - 01:56 PM

I’m also reading along. Haven’t had any comments yet but just finished GotM, enjoyed it as usual, and am waiting until Feb for DG.

I did think that the references to the Pannion Seer were interesting. I remember when first reading this that I thought nothing of it, really glossed over it, but the wheels were in motion to start funneling resources to oppose the Seer.

Speaking of wheels, how about the Wheel of Ages and it’s ability to foreshadow with The Year of the Moon’s Tears. Ominous on first read through and has a deeper meaning now. I’m still trying to decide if the preceding year, The Year of Five Tusks has any further meaning.

#94 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 12 January 2020 - 03:07 PM

View PostAptorian, on 12 January 2020 - 01:14 PM, said:

Have some restraint, you gluttons!

It's hard. Think I will enjoy the read along more. Need to find something else to dive into.

Yeah I couldn't pick the meaning of five tusks. No relation to Fener's demise right? Only other five you could pick might be the five dragons against Raest?

This post has been edited by Cyphon: 12 January 2020 - 03:08 PM

#95 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 12 January 2020 - 04:24 PM

There was a ref to the tusks from Derudan/Baruk meeting.

'Her Warren was Tennes, ancient and bound to the cycles of seasons; and among the handful of deities she could call upon was Tennerock, the Boar of Five Tusks. Derudan’s greatest power – the one she shared, in any case – was the Tusk named Love. He chastised himself.'

I wonder if the tusks refer to the members of the Cabal who rule the city?

This post has been edited by Traveller: 12 January 2020 - 04:26 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#96 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 12 January 2020 - 05:16 PM

Could be. Not sure how Deruden's Warren would be representative of the whole cabal though?

#97 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 12 January 2020 - 05:42 PM

No, just meant maybe each mage has a different aspected Warren, and all of them together are referred to as the 5 tusks, by Icariums reckoning anyway.

The cabal is recognised as the true rulers of Daru.. right up until the night the season changes, the same night 3 of them are killed by Vorcan. It would end the year of the 5 tusks, and herald the year of Moons Tears. So maybe the Tusks are the cabal?

If anyone finds any further refs to the rest of the cabal it might make it clearer; that or anything else about Tennerock.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 12 January 2020 - 05:49 PM

#98 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 January 2020 - 06:03 PM

Having formatting issues on my computer odd. Phone it is.

Traveler - that’s a good thought. The cabal is, fittingly, a bit shadowy in that there doesn’t seem to be a lot of info about them, their numbers, etc. We can say that in regard to number there are / were at least six (Baruk, Mammot, Derudan, and three killed by Vorcan).

My other thought was that perhaps it’s related to aspects of the five tusks. The wiki says those tusks are Love, Hate, Laughter, War, and Tears. It could be that this is referencing how the tusks are impacting the world and that these things exist in the world.

#99 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:41 PM

Ah I should have checked the wiki first. I thought there were 5 mages which sort of linked with the tusks.

#100 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 January 2020 - 03:31 AM

I always figured the Year of Five Tusks reflected how each of Fener's aspects come into play leading to WarPig's ultimate descension and sacrifice.

Iirc, Mammot was a High Priest of Drek and I forget Baruk's warren but there was alchemy and demons involved, so the wider link to the Cabal seems unlikely, and revelations in OST same.

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users