Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I interviewed Steven Erikson

#1 User is offline   nicetrout 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 November 2019 - 11:30 PM

Hey, Peter from the TVBB podcast. I posted it elsewhere, but had to come here too.

We reached out to Steve in between GotM and DG, and he was incredibly nice! He came on the show a few weeks back. We talked about the 20th Anniversary of Gardens of the Moon, and dipped into discussions about why Frodo should have died, differences between fantasy and science fiction, and what experiences Steve is bringing to write the God is Not Willing.

We didn't talk many spoilers beyond Deadhouse Gates. Although we do talk Toll the Hounds a little (Huzah!)

You can check it out here if you don't know:
https://anchor.fm/te...iversary-e8spi3

It was a great time talking to him even if I didn't get any hot gossip about God is Not Willing. Hope you enjoy the interview, let us know what you think.

#2 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 09 November 2019 - 01:18 AM

I'm actually listening to this right now, and I come on here to see this thread! Funny!

I was coming on here to post that this interview is making me Antsy for a reread. I think it's about time for my 4th read-through.

EDIT: I hear you talking about his book collection. I'd love to see it — got a screengrab or clip?

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 09 November 2019 - 01:31 AM

#3 User is offline   nicetrout 

• Sergeant

Posted 09 November 2019 - 03:19 AM

Maybe there`s a screenshot around...but they were so far away, and partially obscured by a plant. I would love to just know what he`s reading though. at the end I got some non fantasy book suggestions which was nice.

#4 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 10 November 2019 - 12:35 PM

ooooooo

More material for my commute. I am down!

#5 User is offline   ArchieVist 

• Captain

Posted 27 November 2019 - 04:43 AM

Today I learned Gesler is pronounced "Guess-ler". Half an hour in and I'm really enjoying this interview.

#6 User is offline   ArchieVist 

• Captain

Posted 28 November 2019 - 05:56 AM

The few minutes at the end where Erikson runs down the pronunciations of Duiker, Otataral, Tiste Andii/Edur/Liosan, Baudin, Sha'ik, etc are gold.

This post has been edited by ArchieVist: 28 November 2019 - 06:07 AM

#7 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 28 November 2019 - 07:45 AM

View PostArchieVist, on 27 November 2019 - 04:43 AM, said:

Today I learned Gesler is pronounced "Guess-ler". Half an hour in and I'm really enjoying this interview.

How could it not?
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#8 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 28 November 2019 - 07:58 AM

Just finished the podcast interview.

Really appreciated hearing Erikson's voice. From the written interviews I'd gotten this impression of a much more serious man, dour even. But hearing him in their conversation painted a much for easy picture of him.

Also, clearly Erikson does not know how his own words are meant to be pronounced. Krup? TAIST andii? ka-LAM? What? He's crazy.

#9 User is offline   ArchieVist 

• Captain

Posted 28 November 2019 - 12:35 PM

Aptorian said:

Really appreciated hearing Erikson's voice. From the written interviews I'd gotten this impression of a much more serious man, dour even. But hearing him in their conversation painted a much for easy picture of him.

If you want to hear more from Erikson check out his author page on the Wiki. We've collected links to 9 other podcasts and 17 videos.

#10 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 28 November 2019 - 05:16 PM

It really is good to hear him talk after all this time. And to hear him correcting the names, I feel quite happy and slightly vindicated that I've been getting it right all this time! Apart from how he says Malazan... still sounds weird the way he says it.

I wish he'd done this sort of interview about 10 years ago. The part about rereads is interesting, because a lot of us here are at the stage where yet another revisit yields more insight - kind of good to see it was all intentional and thought out.

I've finally got someone at work to start the series, he's into MoI now and its great to discuss it with someone whose enjoying it so much and getting into their first read through.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#11 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 30 November 2019 - 12:53 AM

FANTASTIC INTERVIEW

really enjoyed it, also i can't believe i didn't put 1+1 together and figure out that Malazan takes its structure from Dune.

Also massive cringe about names. On the one had i had pretty much all of them on point except kruppe. He pronouces it Krupt, like in the word corrupt cup. Likely due to my french i always thought it was Krouppe

This post has been edited by LinearPhilosopher: 30 November 2019 - 12:55 AM

#12 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 30 November 2019 - 08:50 AM

I'd you go to the podcast, theres also a recording of a q + a session with him in what sounds like an Irish pub. Some repeat info but more info from Steve.

#13 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 30 November 2019 - 09:01 AM

Btw I always called Kruppe Krup, not Kruppah like the podcasters, but his 'Tighst' for Tiste sounds weird. I suppose because Piste (skiing) for comparison would make it Teest which is how I see it.

The main difference when he says things is his short first syllable, like in ka-LAM, ma-LAZAN, even te-HOL.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 30 November 2019 - 09:02 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users