• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dan Simmons Facebook rant...?

#21 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 04 October 2019 - 01:20 AM

Olympos features a scene in which a man sexually assaults a comatose woman in order to get to the next step of the McGuffin.

People praising Hyperion aren't paying particular attention to how Kassad was treated throughout.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#22 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 04 October 2019 - 02:35 AM

View Postamphibian, on 04 October 2019 - 01:20 AM, said:

Olympos features a scene in which a man sexually assaults a comatose woman in order to get to the next step of the McGuffin.

People praising Hyperion aren't paying particular attention to how Kassad was treated throughout.

Ok fine, fond memories be damned, I'll bite... how was Kassad treated in your view?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#23 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 05 October 2019 - 06:05 PM

Kassad is a Palestinian gang member who kills a guy and then joins the military as an alternative to going to prison. He then does haphazardly well until losing his discipline regarding any sort of fight and for Moneta. He murders a religious figure to "stop" an ongoing Sunni/Shia conflict and Simmons keeps making the Shrike stuff a somewhat more extreme extension of what Kassad was already doing as a Muslim. Yes, Kassad fights the Shrike, but he's treated like a savage repeatedly and Simmons sets him up as a Muslim who will be the focal point of a gigantic war that will kill billions.

It's not as bad as The Song of Kali, but it's the beginnings of his public antipathy to brown people basically. Yes, 9/11 happened and he felt suddenly free to say the awful things that prompted this thread, but he was certainly thinking and writing stuff approaching that level of bad for a long time prior.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#24 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:26 PM

View Postamphibian, on 05 October 2019 - 06:05 PM, said:

Kassad is a Palestinian gang member who kills a guy and then joins the military as an alternative to going to prison. He then does haphazardly well until losing his discipline regarding any sort of fight and for Moneta. He murders a religious figure to "stop" an ongoing Sunni/Shia conflict and Simmons keeps making the Shrike stuff a somewhat more extreme extension of what Kassad was already doing as a Muslim. Yes, Kassad fights the Shrike, but he's treated like a savage repeatedly and Simmons sets him up as a Muslim who will be the focal point of a gigantic war that will kill billions.

It's not as bad as The Song of Kali, but it's the beginnings of his public antipathy to brown people basically. Yes, 9/11 happened and he felt suddenly free to say the awful things that prompted this thread, but he was certainly thinking and writing stuff approaching that level of bad for a long time prior.

Interesting, tnx.

My take on Kassad is dated as hell because it's been 20ish years since i read HYPERION. Again, a split reason to not/reread.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#25 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:10 AM

I actually didn't enjoy Simmons work all that much, I thought it appealed to a very different demographic and I just wasn't it.

I'd much rather read Asimov or Clark and even they had a few wobbles as far as time and literary trends go. It's best just to let the old-timer make his way out stage left. Gretas doing great just ignoring the naysayers and keeping the momentum of the movement. I was nowhere near as "woke" at 16 or even 30 and I am thoroughly impressed.

Does anyone know any good scifi books tackling the issue of Climate change? I cant think of anyone other than Ursula K LeGuin.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#26 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:06 AM

I haven't personally read it (it's in the TRP) but The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi gets a lot of praise along this front. I'd like to hear about if anyone on this board has read it.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#27 User is offline   Terminus Est 

• Corporal

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:32 AM

View PostDolmen 2.0, on 14 October 2019 - 06:10 AM, said:

I actually didn't enjoy Simmons work all that much, I thought it appealed to a very different demographic and I just wasn't it.

I'd much rather read Asimov or Clark and even they had a few wobbles as far as time and literary trends go. It's best just to let the old-timer make his way out stage left. Gretas doing great just ignoring the naysayers and keeping the momentum of the movement. I was nowhere near as "woke" at 16 or even 30 and I am thoroughly impressed.

Does anyone know any good scifi books tackling the issue of Climate change? I cant think of anyone other than Ursula K LeGuin.

I might be wrong, but I think some of Kim Stanley Robinson's work also deals with these issues. Could be worth looking into.

#28 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 October 2019 - 10:17 AM

View Postworry, on 14 October 2019 - 07:06 AM, said:

I haven't personally read it (it's in the TRP) but The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi gets a lot of praise along this front. I'd like to hear about if anyone on this board has read it.

I seem to remember enjoying that book. A drowned Bangkok I think? With an android as a main character.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#29 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 08 December 2019 - 02:47 PM

View PostDolmen 2.0, on 14 October 2019 - 06:10 AM, said:

Asimov was a serial sex pest (especially at conventions) and Clarke had an unhealthy interest in considerably younger (and sometimes underage) men. Both are dead though, so by reading their books now you're not contributing to their lifestyle, which is not the case for Simmons.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users