Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Struggling to read this one.

#1 User is offline   Demandred 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 August 2019 - 05:06 PM

Okay, I am about 170 pgs into RotCG and I am really struggling to get into it. I really want to follow the reading order and not skip any books, but I am just not finding this book to be very good thus far. I have loved all of Eriksons books (have read up to Reaper's Gale) and I even enjoyed Night of Knives. However, this book is just plodding and is not drawing my interest. So 2 questions.
1) Does it end up picking up and getting better?
2) If it does not, how much would I miss out on if I skipped on to Toll the Hounds?

#2 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 23 August 2019 - 05:13 PM

Esslemont is a different kettle of fish to SE so if you are expecting something like DG or MoI you will be disappointed.

I will say that the last part of the book is pretty good, but on the other hand, SE's 10 books can be read back to back and you can come back to ICE later.

#3 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:04 PM

View PostDemandred, on 23 August 2019 - 05:06 PM, said:

Okay, I am about 170 pgs into RotCG and I am really struggling to get into it. I really want to follow the reading order and not skip any books, but I am just not finding this book to be very good thus far. I have loved all of Eriksons books (have read up to Reaper's Gale) and I even enjoyed Night of Knives. However, this book is just plodding and is not drawing my interest. So 2 questions.
1) Does it end up picking up and getting better?
2) If it does not, how much would I miss out on if I skipped on to Toll the Hounds?

Yes it picks up and does get better.

Being vague so as not to spoil, events in RCG affect one plot in TtH in a minor way, and one event in RCG will be spoiled for you if you read TtH first. You don't NEED to read it and if you really really want to know someone here can tell you whatever you're wondering about.

That said, i'd suggest pushing through for when it gets better and skimming if it really drags for you. The last chunk is REALLY good.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users