• You cannot reply to this topic

Downtime, 9/8/2019

#21 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 09 August 2019 - 06:47 PM

Chumbawumba's "Tubthumping."
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#22 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 August 2019 - 06:59 PM

^^^^This man gets it.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#23 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:12 PM

How about Mmmmmh by Crash Test Dummies?

#24 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 09 August 2019 - 10:43 PM

View PostSilencer, on 09 August 2019 - 03:12 PM, said:

...given the generally non-critical nature of the content here...

Bite your tongue! The past mafia games are VERY critical. It's our history dammit!

Now that whole "The Malazan Book of the Fallen and Novels of the Malazan Empire" section could easily be abandoned. Oh. Wait. Raison d'être...
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#25 User is offline   Gnaw 

• View gallery

Posted 09 August 2019 - 10:43 PM

View PostAptorian, on 09 August 2019 - 04:14 PM, said:

Regarding financing I'd also suggest that if moving/building a new forum is very time consuming, let us now and I'm sure we could pool some money to reimburse Xae and Silencer for their time.

I agree.
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#26 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 10 August 2019 - 04:46 AM

View PostVengeance, on 09 August 2019 - 06:31 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 09 August 2019 - 05:45 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 09 August 2019 - 04:14 PM, said:

Regarding financing I'd also suggest that if moving/building a new forum is very time consuming, let us now and I'm sure we could pool some money to reimburse Xae and Silencer for their time.

No money for the mods because they all suck anyway!

I accept whiskey, sex, cigars, baked goods.

If you have never felt the embrace of Chulhu, now is your time.

Been there, done that, got the mad mindscreaming living blood ink tat.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#27 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 10 August 2019 - 09:43 AM

No rep? Shit, it took me all this time just to get to 999 ... :crybaby:

Still, I think Whisperzzz (always forget how many zzz's), Ando and Silencer are onto something.

I'd be willing to kick in some $$$ to assist (but not much sorry, damn this "family" thing), but other than that my contribution would mainly be to nod and say "I concur" occasionally. Like the last 17 years, really.

And any forum theme song list MUST include Regurgitator's "I like your old stuff better than your new stuff".

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 10 August 2019 - 09:45 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#28 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 10 August 2019 - 07:20 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 10 August 2019 - 09:43 AM, said:

Still, I think Whisperzzz (always forget how many zzz's), Ando and Silencer are onto something.

I'd be willing to kick in some $$$ to assist (but not much sorry, damn this "family" thing), but other than that my contribution would mainly be to nod and say "I concur" occasionally. Like the last 17 years, really.

And any forum theme song list MUST include Regurgitator's "I like your old stuff better than your new stuff".

That's okay, I don't even know how many Z's are in it! I think Abyss changed it years ago.

#29 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 11 August 2019 - 07:40 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 10 August 2019 - 09:43 AM, said:

I'd be willing to kick in some $$ to assist (but not much sorry, damn this "family" thing), but other than that my contribution would mainly be to nod and say "I concur" occasionally. Like the last 17 years, really.

I was on 666 for so long I was considering applying to join Iron Maiden

#30 User is offline   Xae 

• Server Administrator

Posted 11 August 2019 - 10:41 AM

We're on IP.Board 3.1.4, released back in 2010.
The current setup isn't going to break anytime soon (provided an experienced hacker doesn't decide to trash the site and force me to restore a backup). But it is time to plan and prepare for something.

IPS offers a cloud-hosted version of their software but the pricing is ridiculous. (For reference, hosting ME costs me $12 a month with very little maintenance time.) Self-hosted, like right now, is definitely possible. I migrated DC from 3.x to 4.x and I've no doubt that I could do it with ME but it'd take a bit of work in addition to the automated upgrade tool. (Even DC had stuff that needed manual work to fix.) It'd need to be kind of a clean break; all themes, plugins and extensions gone. That said, I may be able to migrate the current reputation data to the new system. It depends on how it's stored in the database.

#31 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 11 August 2019 - 11:02 AM

As an aside, is it possible to enable reputation for the mobile skin? I barely ever use rep any longer because I mainly use the mobile skin.

#32 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 11 August 2019 - 04:29 PM

View PostAptorian, on 11 August 2019 - 11:02 AM, said:

As an aside, is it possible to enable reputation for the mobile skin? I barely ever use rep any longer because I mainly use the mobile skin.

This is a good point how many people use the different skins?
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#33 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 11 August 2019 - 06:12 PM

View PostXae, on 11 August 2019 - 10:41 AM, said:

The current setup isn't going to break anytime soon (provided an experienced hacker doesn't decide to trash the site and force me to restore a backup). But it is time to plan and prepare for something.

IPS offers a cloud-hosted version of their software but the pricing is ridiculous. (For reference, hosting ME costs me $12 a month with very little maintenance time.) Self-hosted, like right now, is definitely possible. I migrated DC from 3.x to 4.x and I've no doubt that I could do it with ME but it'd take a bit of work in addition to the automated upgrade tool. (Even DC had stuff that needed manual work to fix.) It'd need to be kind of a clean break; all themes, plugins and extensions gone. That said, I may be able to migrate the current reputation data to the new system. It depends on how it's stored in the database.

Stuff like reputation, gallery, etc, even if the data[base] can't be migrated to a new system as long there is a new system of some sort on the other side we can always re-create it by hand (e.g. for rep someone can literally write down all the current amounts and we can admin set it on the other side to those starting amounts. Lots of tedious work, sure, but I'm sure we'll have many idle hands here willing to help. Likewise saving all the gallery images and manually re-uploading them on the other side).

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#34 User is offline   Gnaw 

• View gallery

Posted 13 August 2019 - 04:22 AM

View PostD, on 11 August 2019 - 06:12 PM, said:

View PostXae, on 11 August 2019 - 10:41 AM, said:

Stuff like reputation, gallery, etc, even if the data[base] can't be migrated to a new system as long there is a new system of some sort on the other side we can always re-create it by hand (e.g. for rep someone can literally write down all the current amounts and we can admin set it on the other side to those starting amounts. Lots of tedious work, sure, but I'm sure we'll have many idle hands here willing to help. Likewise saving all the gallery images and manually re-uploading them on the other side).

Definitely Let me help: Khell has -356 rep.

#35 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 09 September 2019 - 04:37 PM

So, what's the plan?

#36 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:22 PM

Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

#37 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia

Posted 19 October 2019 - 04:17 AM

I don't know crapola about what it takes to run the site. I do know that there's a ton of us who've been here for several years to decades now.

If there is a way to upgrade the things we need, I'd be willing to help financially, even though it was mentioned the war chest was in good shape.

The combination of all of us could generate tons of cash. This might be a stupid question, but could we hire someone to do the necessary changes if needs be?

I don't want to go anywhere, or lose all our old posts and history.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#38 User is offline   Xae 

• Server Administrator

Posted 08 January 2020 - 01:35 PM

Well, since ME doesn't use that many features, one option would be to migrate over to phpBB and re-develop the reputation system plus any styles that people are attached to. phpBB has been around for 20 years and is still actively developed. Free, open-source forum software without any bells and whistles, and it can be easily extended. You could stay on that pretty much indefinitely and not have to pay any licence costs.

It's not a big job but it is a bit more than I can do for free.

#39 User is online   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:15 PM

Whatever we need to do to keep the old joint going. I'd chip in.

This post has been edited by Slow Ben: 08 January 2020 - 02:16 PM

I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#40 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:04 PM

View PostBrujah, on 19 October 2019 - 04:17 AM, said:

I don't know crapola about what it takes to run the site. I do know that there's a ton of us who've been here for several years to decades now.

If there is a way to upgrade the things we need, I'd be willing to help financially, even though it was mentioned the war chest was in good shape.

The combination of all of us could generate tons of cash. This might be a stupid question, but could we hire someone to do the necessary changes if needs be?

I don't want to go anywhere, or lose all our old posts and history.

View PostXae, on 08 January 2020 - 01:35 PM, said:

Well, since ME doesn't use that many features, one option would be to migrate over to phpBB and re-develop the reputation system plus any styles that people are attached to. phpBB has been around for 20 years and is still actively developed. Free, open-source forum software without any bells and whistles, and it can be easily extended. You could stay on that pretty much indefinitely and not have to pay any licence costs.

It's not a big job but it is a bit more than I can do for free.

View PostSlow Ben, on 08 January 2020 - 02:15 PM, said:

Whatever we need to do to keep the old joint going. I'd chip in.

Confusion.
OP was Oct 2019.
Xae, is this a thing at this moment?

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users