Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Expanse

#1 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 06 June 2019 - 03:20 AM

Been a huge fan of this series for years and it needs its own discussion thread. Tag any and all spoilers beyond the first book!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#2 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 06 June 2019 - 03:32 AM

I finished Persepolis Rising about a month ago, actually. Haven't gotten to Tiamat's Wrath just yet.

(Persepolis Rising spoilers)
Spoiler

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#3 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 June 2019 - 07:00 AM

I just finished Tiamat's Wrath.

I agree that, independently, PS does feel like it's setting the board for the next arc. But, in the context of TW, I understand why the events in the book were as expansive as they were. Detailing them so much helped set up and add weight to, among other things:
Spoilers PS
Spoiler

All of these things are paramount in TW.

Spoilers TW
Spoiler

#4 User is offline   Tavvar 

• Sergeant

Posted 06 June 2019 - 05:05 PM

I've only read the first three books (caught up with the show). Loved the books, but I'm waiting to read as the series moves forward (though I'm tempted to pick up Cibola Burn every time I'm in a bookstore).

I think the show has done a great job adapting the books, but they are different enough that it was enjoyable to read the books after watching the show.

#5 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 June 2019 - 06:11 PM

View PostTavvar, on 06 June 2019 - 05:05 PM, said:

I've only read the first three books (caught up with the show). Loved the books, but I'm waiting to read as the series moves forward (though I'm tempted to pick up Cibola Burn every time I'm in a bookstore).

I think the show has done a great job adapting the books, but they are different enough that it was enjoyable to read the books after watching the show.

Based on where the story is right now, and who in the story we've been introduced to so far, and the big reveal at the end of Season 3, I think that Season 4 is gonna basically mash together the 4th, 5th, and 6th books, or at least have elements from all three without completing the full story in the season. So I think it will be increasingly difficult to keep to that trying to read the books as the show comes out thing.

I mean, even the first 3 seasons did not really follow the books exactly. First season was like the first half of book 1, second season was the second half of book 1 and like most of book 2, and season 3 was the end of book 2 and most of book 3. I think they'll likely skip most of book 4 in favour of the big story arc that really starts in book 5, or they'll use book 4 material as flashback stuff instead of a full season story. Anyway, it will be interesting to see how they adapt going forward, that's for sure.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 June 2019 - 06:17 PM

View PostBlend, on 06 June 2019 - 06:11 PM, said:

... I think they'll likely skip most of book 4 in favour of the big story arc that really starts in book 5, or they'll use book 4 material as flashback stuff instead of a full season story. Anyway, it will be interesting to see how they adapt going forward, that's for sure.

They could go the other direction and make S4 mostly book 4, and leave the big events from 5 onwards for S5+. I know BURN gets labelled most peoples' least favorite, but in terms of setting and events its the most self-contained of the series, probably the lowest cost to produce.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 06 June 2019 - 06:17 PM

View PostD, on 06 June 2019 - 03:32 AM, said:

I finished Persepolis Rising about a month ago, actually. Haven't gotten to Tiamat's Wrath just yet.

(Persepolis Rising spoilers)
Spoiler

I agree with what you've said, but it has been mentioned in interviews with the authors that PR is meant to be the start of the 3 book final arc of the series, so the fact that you felt it was mostly setup is because that's pretty much exactly what it was.

I still really liked...

Spoiler

I haven't read Tiamat's Wrath yet, but I will be starting it tonight given I finished Kellanved's Reach last night. I'm super excited to see what's next!
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#8 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 06 June 2019 - 06:19 PM

View PostAbyss, on 06 June 2019 - 06:17 PM, said:

... I think they'll likely skip most of book 4 in favour of the big story arc that really starts in book 5, or they'll use book 4 material as flashback stuff instead of a full season story. Anyway, it will be interesting to see how they adapt going forward, that's for sure.

They could go the other direction and make S4 mostly book 4, and leave the big events from 5 onwards for S5+. I know BURN gets labelled most peoples' least favorite, but in terms of setting and events its the most self-contained of the series, probably the lowest cost to produce.

You're certainly right about that story being more self-contained and cheaper, but they set up the big bad...

Spoiler

at the end of Season 3, didn't they? You think they'll just completely ignore him through Season 4?

#9 User is offline   Tavvar 

• Sergeant

Posted 11 June 2019 - 05:33 AM

Hmm... Maybe I'll see what they do with season 4 and then see where to go from there on the books. I don't want to wait years to read the rest of the books.

I could definitely seem them try to streamline things/alter the order, it sounds like the authors are quite aware of the differences between the two mediums and are willing to make changes to the story and characters to make it work on TV.

#10 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 12 June 2019 - 02:57 AM

View PostBlend, on 06 June 2019 - 06:19 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 06 June 2019 - 06:17 PM, said:

You're certainly right about that story being more self-contained and cheaper, but they set up the big bad...

Spoiler

at the end of Season 3, didn't they? You think they'll just completely ignore him through Season 4?

They could, and then just pick it up in S5.
More likely tho they condense bk 4 to half the season and have a parallel plot from bk5 that builds to the finale. Realistically BURN could be done in six eps or less.

#11 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 12 June 2019 - 02:42 PM

View PostTavvar, on 11 June 2019 - 05:33 AM, said:

Hmm... Maybe I'll see what they do with season 4 and then see where to go from there on the books. I don't want to wait years to read the rest of the books.

Well, all but one book are already released. The next book, according to interviews with the authors (and Wikipedia, it turns out), is meant to be the final book of the series.

I could definitely seem them try to streamline things/alter the order, it sounds like the authors are quite aware of the differences between the two mediums and are willing to make changes to the story and characters to make it work on TV.

That is definitely the case! They've mashed up some characters (I'm thinking Drummer and Sam here for book readers), the character of Diogo the Belter is more or less completely made up for the show - I think he has like one line in the first book, but because the actor was super into learning the Belter patois and really did a good job at being a Belter, they kept him around longer in the show, and they've just plain left some characters out completely.

Oh, and honestly, though Shoreh Aghdashloo is an amazing actress, there's just no Chrisjen Avasarala if she's not swearing more than a pirate who has stubbed his toe. They've loosened her language restrictions a bit after Season 1, so you get a bit more of the genuine Avasarala, but it's still not quit the same as the Avasarala from the books!

#12 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 20 June 2019 - 03:29 PM

Just finished Tiamat's Wrath last night, and holy shit was that a great middle book to this series ending arc!!!

I felt it did enough to keep me turning the pages, even after...

Spoiler

I'm also terrified...

Spoiler

The big reveal that...

Spoiler

Very much looking forward to the next and final instalment of this series!!!!

#13 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:28 PM

Oh wait is the next one the final one? Madness.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#14 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:39 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 20 June 2019 - 08:28 PM, said:

Oh wait is the next one the final one? Madness.

That is what they say! The books are pretty popular, though, so who knows?

#15 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:37 AM

I enjoyed Abraham's own name fantasy well enough. So sell this to me.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#16 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 12 March 2020 - 02:50 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 12 March 2020 - 08:37 AM, said:

Make me an offer.

#17 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 13 March 2020 - 08:01 AM

View PostBeaver Killia, on 12 March 2020 - 03:45 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 12 March 2020 - 02:50 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 12 March 2020 - 08:37 AM, said:

Make me an offer.

That I can't refuse

£1000 generals, no offer on specials, final offer.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#18 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 17 September 2020 - 08:00 AM

https://www.tor.com/...james-sa-corey/

Last book in the series announced.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#19 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 16 January 2022 - 05:42 AM

Finished reading the final book today.

Looking back over the series as a whole now, it really feels like one of those 9-book series that is three separate trilogies, with each trilogy supposed to tell its own arc that wraps up after 3 books and the next trilogy starts something new - first trilogy being all politics and secret military contractor ops between Earth, Mars, and the Belters; then second trilogy having those factions united but attacked by Filip and Marco's; then third trilogy being that issue dealt with and now the whole Laconia thing. That's *not* how it's actually formatted, and those stories/aspects were interwoven together, but it still sort of has that *feel* to it, maybe especially because Laconia was such the focus of the last three.

I do think the multi-faction and Roci crew being minor people stuck in the middle was more interesting and gripping than them leading the charge against a singular antagonist in the final arc, but I can understand how it'd be hard to have kept that initial dynamic going the whole way and it did give them a good "full life story arc" sort of thing across the series. Likewise, of course I feel like I wanted more exploration of what the aliens and protomolecule were or how they worked and such than vague dreamscapeyness, but I can also appreciate that doing so would have been contrary to the whole core notion of keeping the human tech level practical.

Is the climax of the last book a bit predictable? Yeah, but ending a long series is *hard*. You can't make a character do something contrary to the personality and development you've been building up for them over 9 books, you can't not pay off the plot breadcrumbs you've been leaving.

So yeah, maybe I wasn't massively blown away by book #9 but it was still a good read and overall I'm still... satisfied. #2 and #3 are still my favourites, but this last one still felt fun and fitting.

And the epilogue was perfect.

#20 User is offline   flea 

• High Fist

Posted 16 January 2022 - 08:18 PM

I fully agree with you about the series basically being a trilogy. The end felt satisfying.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users