• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Brightness Long Ago by Guy Gavriel Kay

#1 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 May 2019 - 02:46 PM

A Brightness Long Ago by Guy Gavriel Kay

Danio Cerra is the son of a tailor who, through luck and connections, finds himself working in the household of the Duke of Mylasia, known throughout the city-stats of Batiara as "The Beast." Adria Ripoli is the daughter of a wealthy family who is predisposed to action and danger. Folco d'Acorsi and Teobaldo Monticola are rival mercenary commanders, the greatest generals of their day, whose fame and expertise are desired throughout the world, and who share a hatred and rivalry that will shape all that is to come.

A Brightness Long Ago is the thirteenth novel by Guy Gavriel Kay, the Canadian author who (since the sorrowful departure of Gene Wolfe) may now hold the best claim to being the greatest living writer of fantasy fiction, a claim backed by the likes of both Tor.com and Brandon Sanderson. Kay's novels take real historical events and then weave a fantastical new shape out of them, creating a rich tapestry of characters, events and emotions that is never less than affecting, and, at his best, can be deeply moving.

Kay's finest novels, arguably, are Tigana, The Lions of Al-Rassan and Under Heaven, in each of which epic events are set in motion but relayed through the eyes of a small number of fantastically-drawn characters. A Brightness Long Ago comfortably joins their ranks, telling a somewhat larger, more epic story than his previous novel, Children of Earth and Sky (to which A Brightness Long Ago can be read as a prequel, although both novels stand alone). Kay's Batiara - his take on Renaissance Italy - is a land of beautiful cities and gifted artists, writers and philosophers, but it's also a land of feuding politicians and frequent warfare, which the High Patriarch in Rhodias (the Pope, effectively) is unable to overcome. With the Asharite armies threatening to breach the walls of Sarantium to the east, the cities of Batiara and the other Jaddite kingdoms are unable to join forces to save the City of Cities from its fate, which looms large in the background of the novel.

The main focus is on the cast of characters, with Danio as our first-person narrator but the action frequently cutting away to Adria, Folco, Teobaldo and several other prominent characters. As is usual with Kay, these characters are vividly well-drawn, with their hopes, desires and pasts driving their motivations. Kay's gifts lie also in atmosphere, and also in his lack of bloodlust. Too many epic fantasy authors seem to thrive on massive battles with bodies piled up like cordwood afterwards, but Kay has always been a more humane author, not to mention a more historically-minded one; bloodbath battles where tens of thousands are killed are relatively rare in real medieval and Renaissance history, with the most successful generals being those who used military force and sometimes just the threat of military force to achieve clear-cut objectives with the minimum of losses (and thus expense). As a result, the military rivalry between Folco and Teobaldo (loosely inspired by the rivalry between the real Frederico Montefeltro and Sigismondo Malatesta) is more of a fascinating game of chess, with both men seeking to out-manoeuvre the other on the battlefield, not slaughtering one another's men en masse.

Like most of Kay's novels, the book also references artists and creatives, with Danio's ambition to be a bookbinder and seller constantly thwarted by being drawn into the affairs of the mighty, and a minor subplot focusing on an artist who is constantly wandering from city to city, being paid vast sums for work that is generally never completed, because the lord in question dies or their city is taken by someone else. As with most Kay books there are also moments of real warmth, friendship and fellowship. Kay is not afraid to the show the uglier, messier side of life, death and war, but he also embraces the good things about life, and shows that it is worth fighting for.

A Brightness Long Ago (*****) is another superb novel from an author who may be fantasy's most reliably excellent, thoughtful, atmospheric and humane writer, and one whose powers remain notably undimmed. It's a book about lives, how people live them and the events that shape them, and how everything is connected. The novel will be published on 14 May in the UK and USA.

This post has been edited by Werthead: 02 May 2019 - 03:16 PM

Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 02 May 2019 - 03:16 PM

...Kay's finest novels, arguably, are Tigana, ...

DAMMIT WERT
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 02 May 2019 - 04:33 PM

I have huge problems with Wert stating that GGK is arguably the best living fantasy author and then mentioning Wolfe as the previous holder of that title.

The two aren't writers of comparable quality. Wolfe was leaps and bounds beyond GGK and I actually really like several GGK books. I think the Under Heaven series is terrible in several ways that include cultural appropriation done badly and that severely dented my enjoyment of his books.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 02 May 2019 - 05:29 PM

I haven't read any Gavriel Kay.

How does an author appropriate culture?

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 02 May 2019 - 05:30 PM

#5 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 02 May 2019 - 05:52 PM

Yoghurt.

#6 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 02 May 2019 - 05:58 PM

View PostAptorian, on 02 May 2019 - 05:29 PM, said:

How does an author appropriate culture?

In my opinion, Amph is mis-using the term "cultural appropriation".

Cultural Appropriation: Wearing a war bonnet (religiously significant native head-dress) to a concert in the desert.
NOT Cultural Appropriation: Wearing corn-row braids when you're not black, or wearing a popular Chinese dress-style.

The same is true here. Because GGK chose to continue doing what he's done for years (write fantasy books that are informed/allegorized by different existing human civilizations and cultures)...that somehow this is disallowed, because one must apparently be OF a culture to write fantastical fiction that uses that culture as a basis. Never mind that he's done this to every other culture on the planet so far, including his own (Jewish). Did I get that right Amph? This is what you're calling out?

No. This is not cultural appropriation. None of his work is.

I'm also not a fan of the way this concept has gone/moved in recent years too. For example, Coldplay and Beyonce were called out for a video they shot for 'Hymn for the Weekend' that was shot in India and celebrated Holi, and featured Beyonce in Hindi dress. This was called Cultural Appropriation. It is not. We should all be not only okay with, but WILLING to celebrate each others cultures like this without feeling like the Outrage Police are going to descend. Because otherwise we will be left with staying inside our own cultures and being bored to tears.

It reminds me of the furor over ALADDIN, being made by Disney where people were up in arms about the Eastern representation in the cast ect. ...and not one of the people who were calling it out had ANY idea that 1001 Nights/Arabian Nights was actually collected over many centuries by various authors, translators, and scholars across West, Central, and South Asia and North Africa. Some tales themselves trace their roots back to ancient and medieval Arabic, Persian, Indian, Greek, Jewish and Turkish folklore and literature, and the content of the Aladdin tale itself was written by a Frenchman, based off word of mouth from a Syrian, and actually had its origins in Chinese myth and was about an urchin (not an orphan) on the streets of China.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 02 May 2019 - 06:24 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 02 May 2019 - 06:14 PM

Amph - is your point that Kay, not ... i'll say 'Asian'..., wrote a story in an Asian setting?

#8 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 02 May 2019 - 07:46 PM

But my to read list is already so looong!

#9 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 02 May 2019 - 07:50 PM

View PostAbyss, on 02 May 2019 - 06:14 PM, said:

Amph - is your point that Kay, not ... i'll say 'Asian'..., wrote a story in an Asian setting?

It's more that he took the An Shi rebellion lead-up (a pretty intense time in Asian/Chinese history since so many different ethnic groups were involved), changed a small amount of things, and ended up writing a novel that was oddly un-Uighur and stepped down the royal intrigue and military drama in the execution.

He quite literally made milquetoast out of this and people raved about this because it focused on "China" when few English novels do. Jacqueline Carey did a better job in that alternate history region when she wrote the books about the magical sex ladies who traveled a bunch (which are actually decent books).

#10 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 02 May 2019 - 07:54 PM

View Postamphibian, on 02 May 2019 - 07:50 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 02 May 2019 - 06:14 PM, said:

It's more that he took the An Shi rebellion lead-up (a pretty intense time in Asian/Chinese history since so many different ethnic groups were involved), changed a small amount of things, and ended up writing a novel that was oddly un-Uighur and stepped down the royal intrigue and military drama in the execution.

He quite literally made milquetoast out of this and people raved about this because it focused on "China" when few English novels do. Jacqueline Carey did a better job in that alternate history region when she wrote the books about the magical sex ladies who traveled a bunch (which are actually decent books).

I'll take your word for it that the depiction is inaccurate to the point that someone familiar with the history would be offput, but i'm thinking that doesn't fall under 'cultural appropriation'.

#11 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 02 May 2019 - 08:36 PM

Problem is that I keep ordering and borrowing books from the library that aren't even on my to read list. And since I hate returning books I haven't read I give them priority, meaning I now have at least 20 books backed up on my Kindle alone (Damn cheap/free e-books thread!).

#12 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 02 May 2019 - 08:47 PM

I'll back off on the appropriation talk. But I'm still not happy with the praise being given to him for writing about alternate history China instead of the quality of his writing (which I don't find in Under Heaven to be that high level).

#13 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 03 May 2019 - 01:03 AM

View Postamphibian, on 02 May 2019 - 04:33 PM, said:

I have huge problems with Wert stating that GGK is arguably the best living fantasy author and then mentioning Wolfe as the previous holder of that title.

I'm trying to think of any other writers who would be in that conversation. Most of the other strong contenders - Le Guin, Pratchett, Vance - have sadly also left us in the last few years. I mean there's Gaiman, but he can be extremely hit and miss and hasn't written anything to match SANDMAN, and that was over twenty years ago.

This post has been edited by Werthead: 03 May 2019 - 01:04 AM

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#14 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 03 May 2019 - 02:20 AM

My (admittedly biased) opinion:
SE is a better writer than GGK. GGK is an excellent aesthetic writer. He does an unrivalled job painting the landscapes and the characters. The emotions gain real vibrancy and pathos. He is like a classical painter.

SE does a better job of making his worlds powerful and textured. They feel real and lived in. They feel natural.

And I have yet to see a single author more capable of evoking emotion by writing a single line for an almost unknown character. SE can do the most with the least.

#15 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 03 May 2019 - 04:01 AM

View PostBriar King, on 03 May 2019 - 03:39 AM, said:

Where is your review for Tigana? I don't see it in this forum.

I read it, mostly liked it but I felt that a large portion of it was a bit off a tangent. Ending was good, could have been better. Reunion that was teased never happened.

#16 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 03 May 2019 - 04:31 AM

Maybe on his blog? Not sure Werts earliest reviews are all here.

#17 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 03 May 2019 - 05:49 PM

View PostWerthead, on 03 May 2019 - 01:03 AM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 02 May 2019 - 04:33 PM, said:

I'm trying to think of any other writers who would be in that conversation. Most of the other strong contenders - Le Guin, Pratchett, Vance - have sadly also left us in the last few years. I mean there's Gaiman, but he can be extremely hit and miss and hasn't written anything to match SANDMAN, and that was over twenty years ago.

Salman Rushdie, Margaret Atwood, Haruki Murakami, or if you want literary cachet only within a stricter definition of SFF, China Mieville, Stephen Donaldson, and William Gibson.

Authors like Liu Cixin and NK Jemison are approaching consideration for this group. JK Rowling also kept the English publishing industry afloat for a decade.

GGK is a very renowned author and has written some great and highly selling books, but I still think there's a few living authors above him.

#18 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 07 May 2019 - 05:21 PM

SE is a better writer than GGK. GGK is an excellent aesthetic writer. He does an unrivalled job painting the landscapes and the characters. The emotions gain real vibrancy and pathos. He is like a classical painter.

SE does a better job of making his worlds powerful and textured. They feel real and lived in. They feel natural.

And I have yet to see a single author more capable of evoking emotion by writing a single line for an almost unknown character. SE can do the most with the least.

As much as I respect SE's immense imagination and the quality of his writing when he lines up all his ducks (which he hasn't done in a sustained fashion across an entire novel since MEMORIES OF ICE), he can also be highly sloppy and undisciplined as a writer, leaving behind masses of unresolved plotlines, shallow worldbuilding and purple prose. Erikson on form is fantastic, but alas his form has not been all there for some considerable time. I hope it returns in THE GOD IS NOT WILLING.

Where is your review for Tigana? I don’t see it in this forum.

I read TIGANA seven or eight years before I started the blog. It is in the re-read stack.

Salman Rushdie, Margaret Atwood, Haruki Murakami

Magic realism is not really secondary world fantasy.

or if you want literary cachet only within a stricter definition of SFF, China Mieville, Stephen Donaldson, and William Gibson.

Gibson is SF, Donaldson did his best work in SF (and his fantasy work since the second Covenant trilogy has been patchy at best).

Mieville is a good one. I didn't consider him since his last major adult fantasy novel (KRAKEN) was some considerable time ago, and his last secondary world epic fantasy (IRON COUNCIL in 2004!) is even older, but his canon is very strong.

Authors like Liu Cixin and NK Jemison are approaching consideration for this group. JK Rowling also kept the English publishing industry afloat for a decade.

I haven't read Cixin yet. Jemison is almost there based on BROKEN EARTH, but her earlier two series were less accomplished. If she sustains that quality level from hereon out, yes, she's a strong contender, as is Kameron Hurley.

Rowling's commercial performance is irrelevant to the quality of her work.

#19 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:35 PM

Don't mean to interrupt, but quick question: who is Guy Gavriel Kay?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#20 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:19 AM

View Postworry, on 07 May 2019 - 08:35 PM, said:

Don't mean to interrupt, but quick question: who is Guy Gavriel Kay?

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users