Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Podcasting Ten Very Big Books

#1 User is offline   nicetrout 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 May 2019 - 01:38 PM

Cooking up a podcast for a few months now. I found the books very difficult to read the first time through, so I wanted to make a podcast to help folks with the details. I'm rereading the books, with two folks who have never read them. The idea is I should be able to help them in someway, but I certainly don't know as much as a lot of other folks round here.

Should be about seven or eight episodes for Gardens of the Moon, and then DG.

I know others have been posted like this before but just want to make something for new readers, try to bring folks in.. Probably not geared towards the crowd around this forum but figured I'd least notify people. I may try to do something more rereadish, you know talk about what I noticed my second time through.

Give it a listen if you want.

https://anchor.fm/tenverybigbooks

rss feed:

https://anchor.fm/s/...e9c/podcast/rss

#2 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 05 May 2019 - 03:56 AM

I assume you're Peter? I think you need to adjust your sound settings or room a bit - it sounds like you're in a toilet when you're talking with the others.
EDIT: huh, when you all reconvene after reading the prologue etc, it's Josh who sounds like he's in the toilet and your audio is fine.

Well done to India for taking the big step up from Twilight to MBotF. :apt2:

If you really want to frighten the other two, send them to the Wikipedia entry and point out the page/word counts. And the other books.

https://en.wikipedia...k_of_the_Fallen

"Who the fuck are the Tiste Andii and do they have a flying mountain fortress?" :) Strap yourself in mate, shit is going to go sideways.

They might get some help from this, but it's a bit spoilery:

https://malazan.fand...i/Siege_of_Pale

EDIT: or are you AJ?

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 05 May 2019 - 04:27 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#3 User is offline   nicetrout 

• Sergeant

Posted 09 May 2019 - 03:30 PM

Nah I'm peter lol, fixed the mic for future episodes but this one it was a bit wonky.

thanks for listening.

Yeah, I really tried to describe the books to the two of them before they agreed to read them but...it's hard to capture it them lol. Been really enjoying my reread even though their feelings fluctuate.

#4 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 17 December 2019 - 04:24 PM

So, who's been listening to this?

I got into it after hearing the interview with SE, and so far it's been very entertaining. Mainly because I've not heard the books discussed like this anywhere before, and its great to see it through new eyes.

The name pronunciation still drives me a bit batty but to be fair everyone finds their own way. What I'm enjoying is hearing newbies impressions, the first time they hit the big reveals or events, and the general impressions of the books so far. Having 3 people with different reading backgrounds works well.

It's great when India or Josh make a prediction, hit the nail right on the head, and Peter has to divert their attention away to avoid major spoilers from the later books.

It's also interesting to hear how Peter, who's read them before, is still picking up new things he missed before. Their questions just bring up the depth. And also how difficult it is to get anything useful out of the audiobooks.

Check it out, it's fun. Despite 'Krupper!'
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#5 User is offline   nicetrout 

• Sergeant

Posted 17 December 2019 - 11:59 PM

Glad you're enjoying the show.

The pronunciations getting better with time, hopefully we can get set straight on a few of the names in Memories of Ice soon. Also so excited to finish Deadhouse Gates, recording the final episode in like a week and we generally keep a radio silence about the book until we record....very interested to see how they feel about the book wrapping up.

Yeah, honestly I'm still finding my footing hosting the thing in a way. I appreciate what you said about everyone coming from different points of views. Which is something we thought would be good about the show. But I'm far from the most well read Malazan fan around, a lot of the series is honestly clicking into place the second time through. Usually though the community is pretty forgiving when I fumble an explanation or something.

#6 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 18 December 2019 - 09:42 AM

Oh hey Peter, thanks for a quick reply.

Listened to the final GotM episode last night. Again it's good to hear it all for the first time from a different set of perspectives - the reaction to the Azath was pretty much the same as mine on the first read. I don't think I had as clear an idea as to what the finnest was first time around though.

Anyway I've read and reread this series a few times now, but I've only ever met one person who had done the same, and only been able to discuss the books properly here, so it's good to hear you guys talking about it.

The format is good, I like the summaries, and I'm going to get into the Deadhouse Gates eps next. I know a bit of the reactions from the interview with SE but I'm looking forward to this as DG is the book that either hooks people or turns them off completely.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#7 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 23 March 2021 - 01:07 AM

I was listening to the most recent TVBB with Mark Paxton McRae (who originally gamed Karsa Orlong, among other characters). At one point, he mention Martin Buber and Erikson's knowledge of philosophy. It got me wondering — does anyone have a list of books that Steven Erikson has recommended, beyond fantasy/SF?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users