Malazan Empire: Favourite story thread/character groups? - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Favourite story thread/character groups?

#1 User is offline   Steamer 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 April 2019 - 09:09 PM

Hi all

So I am 40% into my MoI re-read and loving every letter of it

I am taking in so much more the 2nd time around and the fact I have forgotten bits and pieces of the story is great so its like I'm reading it for the first time

Just wanted to know what everyones favourite story thread was from their reading experience (e.g. The Grey Swords, The caravaneers, bridgeburners etc.)

At this point in time I reckon the Lady Envy, Toc and Tool group is probably my favourite group; followed by the Grey Swords.

Cheers

Steamer

Posted Image

#2 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 April 2019 - 04:10 AM

Mhybe
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   nicetrout 

• Sergeant

Posted 03 April 2019 - 03:21 PM

Itkovian, I frequently think back to that storyline.

#4 User is offline   Not Noto 

• Corporal

Posted 04 April 2019 - 04:54 PM

Ganoes. Always Ganoes

#5 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 09 April 2019 - 04:08 PM

MODGOD NOTICE OF DELETION.
THIS IS THE MOI SUBFORUM.
THOSE WERE LATER BOOK PLOTLINES.
NO HARM DONE.
PLEASE REPORT FOR MINIMAL FLOGGING.

This post has been edited by Abyss: 09 April 2019 - 06:13 PM

"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 April 2019 - 05:38 PM

Gruntle's storyline, from jaded caravan guard to involuntary mortal sword to flat out 'champion' has always been one of my favorite parts of the book.
The 'child banner' bit is stunning, and the part when he rallies his Legion into the tiger is pure fantasy lit candy.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 09 April 2019 - 06:07 PM

Itkovians bit is also great. "I'm not yet done".

#8 User is offline   Demandred 

• Recruit

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:05 AM

I have always been partial to Dujek and Whiskeyjack, although in MoI there are so many great story arcs I cant really pick just 1, lol.

#9 User is offline   MuskyTusk 

• Recruit

Posted 26 April 2019 - 07:04 AM

Itkovian is my favorite character without a doubt, I cried...
Rake is a close second though.
I'd like to know more about the Trygalle Trade Guild, they're always interesting.
"We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned, T'lan Imass. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance."

#10 User is offline   Mythodikal 

• Corporal

Posted 25 October 2019 - 06:37 AM

Though there are many great story lines and groups of people, grey swords, Envy/Toc/Tool/Seguleh, Gruntle and crew, for me this book is all about the Bridgeburners and the aliance. The amount of information we learn about the BB's throughout this book have always been my favorite moments. The fact that the information often comes shared with such other bad ass characters is awesome too. I think the first scene that stood out was at the original parlay of the alliance when Silverfox mentions Fiddler and Hedge cheating at their card game and learning that Fiddler is adept at the DoD. My favorite scene might be Whiskeyjack and Rake sharing a drink and WJ describing the trek through Raraku following QB. Trotts using the Malazan style of fighting to win his duel in the White Face camp. Blend being a natural talent. Quick Ben, Quick Ben, Quick Ben, everything about him (as a mortal) being so absolutely arrogant that he was going to stop the Crippled God. The BB's being interned in Moon's Spawn... When Dujek is questioning Korlat on Whiskeyjack fighting Kallor and mentioning that he used to spar with Dassem Ultor and hold his own.

Deadhouse Gates did a jaw dropping job of building the Wickans, Duiker, the Chain of Dogs, and it was amazing. Memories of Ice absolutely delivered on all of the previous talk of the Bridgeburners being such a legendary company. The interaction of this military unit is the main example that I very poorly try to describe when I try to explain just how amazing this series is. There has never been a unit of characters that I have so connected with, or have given me so much laughter, grins, holy shits, or tears.

First in, last out.

#11 User is offline   Emancipor Reese 

• Elemental Force

Posted 12 December 2019 - 02:47 PM

Tool for me.. Having just finished my 3rd re-read of the whole series Tool(also maybe Ganoes Paran) has the longest and strangest journey of the entire series and also in MOI he starts an enduring relationship with Toc that lasts until the very rewarding end.

#12 User is offline   Keysi 

• Fist

Posted 04 March 2020 - 12:09 PM

View PostNot Noto, on 04 April 2019 - 04:54 PM, said:

Ganoes. Always Ganoes

Really? But he's so..... bland.

My answer to this would have to be the Segulluh. Especially Mok.

In fact wait. The CG. And Krul. And Kallor. This is a really bloody difficult question actually. Can't I just vote that I'm glad everybody had a good time?

This post has been edited by Keysi: 04 March 2020 - 12:10 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users