Malazan Empire: Gregar and Haraj - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1

Gregar and Haraj Who are they?

#1 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 February 2019 - 07:47 PM

Any ideas who Gregar and Haraj could be?

What we know: Both from Gris, both mages, both early members of the Crimson Guard (possibly later Avowed), Gregar good fighter, Haraj really hard to hit.

My first guess for Gregar would be Iron Bars. Gris? Check, Phenomenal Fighter? Check. Member of the Crimson Guard? Check. Mage? No?

Blues could also be a possibility. Guard member, fighter and mage. His warren is D'riss, the Path of Stone, which could fit due to Gregars connection with stone. But the complexion of his skin doesn't fit. On the other hand Iko/Shimmer also doesn't seem to be of Napanese descend anymore Posted Image

For Haraj I have actually no idea, as Fingers already appeared in Dancer's Lament and Corlo isn't an Avowed and from Unta

This post has been edited by - Coltaine - : 26 February 2019 - 10:12 PM

#2 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 27 February 2019 - 06:06 PM

Well, considering there is a misprint in the book it is obvious they are blues and fingers. On page 179 in my hardback it reads: "He dragged Haraj onwards by his shirt and didnt stop until they were well clear of the encampment. When they neared the Fourth's bivouac Gregar cleared his throat and glanced at Fingers." Erm, oops....😂

Plus I believe Gregar's full name is Gregar Bluestone and he fights with sticks. Must be Blues.

[Edit]Bluenth, not bluestone. D'oh.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 06 March 2019 - 12:53 AM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#3 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 27 February 2019 - 06:45 PM

Oh, I completely missed that. Thanks Posted Image

Now we must wait and see if the other Fingers in the Crimson Guard appears again. Maybe he died in the battle or something like that and the other members renamed Haraj after him.

Also I should maybe start a list of characters that are no longer Napanese. Not sure how to integrate that into the wiki.

#4 User is offline   Renz 

• Recruit

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:53 PM

Gorefest said:

1551290788[/url]' post='1363718']
Well, considering there is a misprint in the book it is obvious they are blues and fingers. On page 179 in my hardback it reads: "He dragged Haraj onwards by his shirt and didnt stop until they were well clear of the encampment. When they neared the Fourth's bivouac Gregar cleared his throat and glanced at Fingers." Erm, oops....😂

Plus I believe Gregar's full name is Gregar Bluestone and he fights with sticks. Must be Blues.

It’s really funny, I came across that passage too. Had to read it a few times and even went back a few paragraphs to see where I might have missed Fingers being previously mentioned. Couldn’t find anything. Lol. I too imagined Gregar to be Blues.

#5 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 28 February 2019 - 03:24 PM

View Post- Coltaine -, on 27 February 2019 - 06:45 PM, said:

Also I should maybe start a list of characters that are no longer Napanese. Not sure how to integrate that into the wiki.

Maybe something will happen in a future novel that turns everyone blue! A smurf crossover or somesuch.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#6 User is offline   Speedy 

• Recruit

Posted 04 March 2019 - 01:38 PM

Well if I remember his full name is Gregar Bluenth, that really hints Blues, but if I remember correctly Blues is Napan, so was there a mention of Gregars skin color? Him being a Napan I would thought that maybe others would react to that. Regarding Haraj, was Fingers really mentioned in the fiirst book, cause I was quite sure that Haraj is Fingers if not he might Treat from RotCG, cause he went with Blues to Otataral mines to free the prisoners, I would think those two might stick together.

This post has been edited by Speedy: 04 March 2019 - 01:40 PM

#7 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 05 March 2019 - 11:31 PM

I thought they could be Ipshank and Manask until they joined the Guard.
The way Haraj avoid getting hit reminded me of Manask

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 March 2019 - 02:11 AM

Blues n Fingers seem most likely. The typo is telling.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#9 User is offline   WhiskeyJohn 

• Corporal

Posted 07 March 2019 - 02:03 PM

Blues was fighting the Adjunct with 2 schmitars in GotM. Here Blues had a staff fight with Surat and is a woodworker. Seems there is a disconnect.

#10 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 07 March 2019 - 05:45 PM

View PostWhiskeyJohn, on 07 March 2019 - 02:03 PM, said:

Blues was fighting the Adjunct with 2 schmitars in GotM. Here Blues had a staff fight with Surat and is a woodworker. Seems there is a disconnect.

No, he used two 'practice sticks' at another point.
Wasn't he a stonemason, not a woodworker?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#11 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 07 March 2019 - 06:31 PM

Yeah, a stonemason indeed.

#12 User is offline   Speedy 

• Recruit

Posted 08 March 2019 - 12:31 AM

View Postnacht, on 05 March 2019 - 11:31 PM, said:

I thought they could be Ipshank and Manask until they joined the Guard.
The way Haraj avoid getting hit reminded me of Manask

I believe, that Manask got actually hit quite a lot, he just had huge amount layers of protection, Fingers is just avoiding by attacks. I still wonder what are the origins or rather where falls his warren.

This post has been edited by Speedy: 08 March 2019 - 12:32 AM

#13 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:09 PM

View PostWhiskeyJohn, on 07 March 2019 - 02:03 PM, said:

So?

That is after years of being an avowed.

It is a talented fighter who happens to also be a mage (undeveloped) and works with a skinny mage who isn't blasting anyone with warrens.

Its Blues and Fingers. He has a rather long time coming up with the guard to train with different weapons as well as learn his warren.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#14 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 26 April 2019 - 01:37 PM

I just re-read DL and DHL and Fingers is definitely in DL when Silk went out on his little food-gathering (stealing) mission.

Funny enough, they even mention Greymane in DL (The soldier with Silk on the same adventure mentions him) even though we see him getting his name in KR too so there's some weird inconsistencies there too.

EDIT: I see now this was posted in another thread...

This post has been edited by Gintokian: 26 April 2019 - 01:41 PM

In the language of flowers corn stands for trust.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users