• You cannot reply to this topic

Twilight Imperium (III) - Signup Thread

#41 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 January 2019 - 05:59 AM

View PostKhellendros, on 22 January 2019 - 02:19 PM, said:

1) How would people like to try the Age of Empire variant where all 10 POs are revealed at the start of the game? I'm totally not suggesting that because I think it will make the game go faster :)

If you do that, I suggest staying at 14 points. Which might actually be a good combination.

2) Speaking of faster games, shall we go back to 11VPs? I agree that it makes War Suns less likely, but I also think that War Suns are a thing you're supposed to commit to quite early on if you really do want them.

Unless using the Age of Empire variant above.

3) I was also thinking of letting you guys create your own map shape - up to a point. The first two rings would still be rings, but after that you can add in any direction you choose. This would rely on you still being sensible and not just creating one long snake :p Or would you prefer to stick with the tried-and-tested layout?

Uh, no.

4) Khell's personal variant: No Support for the Throne PNs. Lowers the likelihood of long-term stable (and stale) alliances. Thoughts?

Hmmm. Or make them tradeable? Make the back stab sudden and totally dickish.

Edit: make SftT and ceasefire tradeable.

This post has been edited by Gnaw: 23 January 2019 - 06:03 AM

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#42 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 23 January 2019 - 08:15 AM

View PostGnaw, on 23 January 2019 - 05:59 AM, said:

View PostKhellendros, on 22 January 2019 - 02:19 PM, said:

1) How would people like to try the Age of Empire variant where all 10 POs are revealed at the start of the game? I'm totally not suggesting that because I think it will make the game go faster :)

If you do that, I suggest staying at 14 points. Which might actually be a good combination.

2) Speaking of faster games, shall we go back to 11VPs? I agree that it makes War Suns less likely, but I also think that War Suns are a thing you're supposed to commit to quite early on if you really do want them.

Unless using the Age of Empire variant above.

3) I was also thinking of letting you guys create your own map shape - up to a point. The first two rings would still be rings, but after that you can add in any direction you choose. This would rely on you still being sensible and not just creating one long snake :p Or would you prefer to stick with the tried-and-tested layout?

Uh, no.

4) Khell's personal variant: No Support for the Throne PNs. Lowers the likelihood of long-term stable (and stale) alliances. Thoughts?

Hmmm. Or make them tradeable? Make the back stab sudden and totally dickish.

Edit: make SftT and ceasefire tradeable.

Ceasefire is tradeable anyway isn't it? In fact, I thought all of the PN's were tradeable.,..
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#43 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 23 January 2019 - 08:26 AM

I don't think we need rules regarding ceasefire and SftT. Both games so far have contained plenty of battle and backstabbing.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#44 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:43 AM

View PostD, on 23 January 2019 - 01:24 AM, said:

View PostTapper, on 22 January 2019 - 08:45 PM, said:

View PostKhellendros, on 22 January 2019 - 05:36 PM, said:

Giving it some further thought re build-your-own-layout, while it would be cool in a table game, in a forum game it probably takes too much time even with D’rek’s amendment, as you will want to see what the map looks like after each tile is put down so that you know the current shape and viable placements. While I could do that there’s no guarantee the map update will always be speedy. Whereas with the predesignated layout you know which spots have been taken even without an immediate update.

What about giving players the opportunity to each design a "pizza slice" of space by giving each a roughly equivalent # of production and influence on planets, plus enough empty hexes and anomalies to fill that slice from ring 1 to the home planets?

Once the slices are built, we can then randomize starting order and move to the "select a race/ starting position" draft.

That way, building a sector in such a way it is guaranteed to fuck with its owner (say, only empty hexes around the starting planet) likw it happened to Twelve last game could backfire spectacularly as you may end up with it yourself; building something okay but not great would be a better option.

The result would probably look somewhat like D'rek's initial map, in which each race also had natural dominion over 2-3 systems and would in addition have 2-3 systems it would have to compete for/ negotiate over with neighbours.

Building the map would be fairly straightforward, too, since one would not have to wait a couple of days before the next hex, nor would negotiation across time zones be necessary.

That could work too. It's hard to do "pizza slices" with 9 players on hexagons, but something like this?

Posted Image

Since you're not necessarily constructing a region for yourself, I guess it's not a big deal that the regions aren't actually slice shaped

Khell might have to edit the submitted slices a bit if for example the anomalies completely block someone off by chance, but that's not a problem.

Yes, the pizza slice idea sounds the most efficient and quite fun for players on top of that. Thanks very much for the suggestion Tapper, and thanks D’rek for the very helpful layout suggestion above! I think I will go with the slices then. I’ll work on it today and send out everyone’s hexes and region to fill out. I am on holiday from tomorrow to Monday. I won’t be out of contact but I’ll be unable to put your maps together until Tuesday, which does give you a few days to think about how you want to construct them at least.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#45 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:45 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 23 January 2019 - 08:26 AM, said:

I don't think we need rules regarding ceasefire and SftT. Both games so far have contained plenty of battle and backstabbing.

No, I won’t be making any rule changes to how pieces work. My only suggestion was to take out an element entirely. I’m happy to keep them in though. It also sounds like there’s quite a bit of scepticism toward revealing all objectives, so the only change I will make is to make the winning number 12VPs.

#46 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 23 January 2019 - 11:00 AM

View PostKhellendros, on 23 January 2019 - 10:45 AM, said:

No, I won't be making any rule changes to how pieces work. My only suggestion was to take out an element entirely. I'm happy to keep them in though. It also sounds like there's quite a bit of scepticism toward revealing all objectives, so the only change I will make is to make the winning number 12VPs.

Does this mean we all get our hexes as well? Maybe after placing them one of us could build the map for you?
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#47 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery

Posted 23 January 2019 - 03:17 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 23 January 2019 - 11:00 AM, said:

No, I won't be making any rule changes to how pieces work. My only suggestion was to take out an element entirely. I'm happy to keep them in though. It also sounds like there's quite a bit of scepticism toward revealing all objectives, so the only change I will make is to make the winning number 12VPs.

Does this mean we all get our hexes as well? Maybe after placing them one of us could build the map for you?

If Khell doesn't object he can have everyone submit their hex placement choices for their slices to me and I can get a map together over the weekend.

Khell - will you also give us the initiative order for race choice? If we can get that out of the way as well, I can create the banners and player cards for the map for you over the weekend as well, which would set you up to start modding whenever you're ready to get the game going!
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#48 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 23 January 2019 - 05:50 PM

View PostBlend, on 23 January 2019 - 03:17 PM, said:

View PostTattersail_, on 23 January 2019 - 11:00 AM, said:

If Khell doesn't object he can have everyone submit their hex placement choices for their slices to me and I can get a map together over the weekend.

Khell - will you also give us the initiative order for race choice? If we can get that out of the way as well, I can create the banners and player cards for the map for you over the weekend as well, which would set you up to start modding whenever you're ready to get the game going!

I don't mind at all if you want to build the map over the weekend.

As for initiative order, I won't reveal that until the map is built. But I'll be able to let you know that even while I'm on holiday, so there won't be any delay.

#49 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 23 January 2019 - 05:55 PM

After several hours of hex swapping, I've formed a roughly equal distribution. The three slices without direct access to Mecatol have been compensated with either *slightly* more resources or other possible avenues of travel. Those with slices with direct access to Mecatol have *slightly* more influence, the in-game reasoning being the easier your route to the galactic centre, the more politically influential you are :)

I'll send out the Google Drive links to your slices tonight.

#50 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:40 PM

In case it wasn’t clear, we’ll be going with the race-or-placement selection suggested by Morgoth. So the slice you make is not necessarily the one you’ll end up with.

#51 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 23 January 2019 - 11:09 PM

So just to make sure we're all on the same page, this is the full run-down?

1. Khell emails each player a handful of hexes and a designated region (pink, blue, red, etc) to place those hexes in.

2. Each player arranges those hexes and a homeworld spot however they want in that region, and PMs the results to both Blend+Khell

3. Blend assembles it all into the map. Some adjustments might be necessary (wall of anomalies, adjacent homeworlds, etc), per Blend's discretion. Blend posts the finished map.

4. Khell posts the starting initiative order

5a. First player in initiative order picks either a race or a homeworld spot.
5b. Second player in initiative order picks either a race or a homeworld spot.
5c. Third player... etc etc
5i. Last player in initiative order picks both their race and homeworld spot.

6a. Second-last player in initiative order picks their other thing
6b. Third-to-last player in initiative order picks their other thing
etc...

7. All the pieces get setup and such.

8. Game begins with those races, positions, and the same starting Initiative Order.

This post has been edited by D'rek: 24 January 2019 - 01:14 AM

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#52 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 January 2019 - 11:16 PM

I love how you make it all seem so simple D'rek. You just forgot one step

..profit
I don't know what I'm doing but it sounds good.

#53 User is offline   Gnaw 

• View gallery

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:05 AM

View Posttwelve, on 23 January 2019 - 11:16 PM, said:

I love how you make it all seem so simple D'rek. You just forgot one step

..profit

9: ????

10: Profit!
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#54 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:53 AM

Links to hexes sent out, have fun folks! I'm off to Budapest to stay in TripAdvisor's number 1 hotel in the world or something like that :)

#55 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:57 AM

I have officially sent Khell my hex placement choices, so you guys can send me yours as you're ready without worry that it may affect my choices.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#56 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 24 January 2019 - 01:13 AM

View PostKhellendros, on 24 January 2019 - 12:53 AM, said:

Links to hexes sent out, have fun folks! I'm off to Budapest to stay in TripAdvisor's number 1 hotel in the world or something like that :)

Carpe Noctem?

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#57 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 24 January 2019 - 01:22 AM

Ah, I see we're going fixed HW spots. That probably makes a lot more sense / balance / less hassle.

Mine are submitted!

#58 User is offline   Gnaw 

• View gallery

Posted 24 January 2019 - 02:02 AM

View PostBlend, on 24 January 2019 - 12:57 AM, said:

I have officially sent Khell my hex placement choices, so you guys can send me yours as you're ready without worry that it may affect my choices.

Done. And for the record I chose what I thought was the best placement for the slice rather than being defensive.

#59 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 January 2019 - 07:42 AM

Tiles Submitted
I don't know what I'm doing but it sounds good.

#60 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:55 AM

mine are in too.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

Share this topic:

• 15 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic