• You cannot reply to this topic

Twilight Imperium (III) - Signup Thread

#261 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:53 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 28 January 2019 - 04:49 PM, said:

I was just fed up of chasing that extra CT all the time :) This way I can concentrate a bit more on VP's and not worry as much about where the next meal is coming from.

Ditto. Given that we were guaranteed a spot with little to no influence on top of that.
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#262 User is offline   Gnaw 

• View gallery

Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:59 PM

I'm so impressed Blend. How did you know my favorite color is purple?
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#263 User is offline   Gnaw 

• View gallery

Posted 28 January 2019 - 10:00 PM

View PostD, on 28 January 2019 - 03:43 PM, said:

Silly Morghy, Letnev doesn't have wenches or councils. It's always knight out there! No one will get this

It’s tickling the back of my mind. Can’t remember though.

#264 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 28 January 2019 - 11:25 PM

The judges are ready to deliver their verdict!

D’rek evokes the feel of an Erikson epigraph, like a surviving fragment of an epic poem, it makes one desire to find out more about these Jol-Nar. Plus, tentacles! But, conversely, where was the reference to fishbowls which is common to all Jol-Nar poetry? And at least one unnecessarily long word in place of a more common one to reflect the academic snootiness of the Jol-Nar? Perhaps these are to be found in the lost sections.

At the opposite end, Twelve has gone down the limerick route. Short, funny, to the point, and it rhymes, all great qualities for absolutely any piece of poetry. Nice twist at the end where the Winnu come to mop up. However, does it spend enough time elucidating upon the Winnu themselves? And does it need to, or does this in fact reflect the behind-the-scenes very nature of the Winnu?

Gnaw’s gets off to a great start because it actually has a title, which is always useful. It impressively ties together and riffs on real historical events and has its own unique and literally inimitable Nekro style. But is it a bit too heavy-handed in its appeal to my own actions in a previous game, quite blatantly trying to butter me up? Then again, I do like butter.

Morgoth: This is brilliant. Amazing. Riffs off a previous work, gently mocking another race while at the same time extolling the aggressiveness of the Letnev. Quite brilliant. Also quite disqualified, for so many reasons. 1) These are song lyrics, not a poem; 2) You couldn’t remember the name of your own race; 3) I’ve had that bloody tune stuck in my head for hours.

Where to begin with Tatts’? I guess it focuses on the Sol throughout, so that’s good? But this is appalling, particularly the hashtag at the end. Did the Solarians lose all their poets in the supernova? Did they get a Solarian child to scrawl this with a crayon on edible paper? However, I would very much have liked to hear more about those toys - perhaps this indecisiveness in itself should be taken as a part of the whole poetic contribution, in which case it emerges into a new light, one which reflects the very flawed humanity of the Sol themselves. This effort perhaps deserves further intensive critical analysis.

One surely must admire the perfect circularity of Tapper’s contribution. In sand we begin, in sand we end, via the deepest mines and the highest stars. Quite beautiful. However, one must also surely quirk an eyebrow at the quite literal and straightforward interpretation of the challenge, a synopsis of the Hacan history and their ideology. No Nekro fucking tangent in sight anywhere. Is it memorable, one must ask? Will people pretend to have read this to seem highbrow, while in truth Twelve’s limerick has more widespread cultural impact?

I can honestly say that this has been the hardest poetry competition I have ever had to judge. I mean, after disqualifying Morgoth and Tatts clearly coming in last place.

Twelve, I’m going to choose to believe that behind the humour of your entry lies a deeper meaning, a great insight into the Winnu ideology: come across as harmless, forgettable, and pointless even, all to disarm and make your competitors heedless of your actions while you rise to the top, as exemplified by the final line. If this isn’t a masterpiece, then I’m not a qualified literary judge.

Twelve is the Speaker. Strategy pick order will be Twelve - Blend - Tatts - D’rek - Macaw - Tapper - Nom - Morgoth - IH
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#265 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 28 January 2019 - 11:28 PM

I will set up the threads tomorrow and we’ll probably also be able to get started (late) tomorrow. But in the meantime you can start selecting your strategy cards.

Also, do all please look over the map that Blend has kindly created and just double-check you all have the right ships, tokens, etc.

This post has been edited by Khellendros: 28 January 2019 - 11:29 PM

"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#266 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 January 2019 - 11:48 PM

LOL!!! No fucking way. Now granted I did spend close to a half hour on that piece of "poetry" but I didn't think it was deserving of even middle of the pact after reading some of the other works. But hey, I'll take it.
I don't know what I'm doing but it sounds good.

#267 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:06 AM

This is an easy Logistics pick.
I don't know what I'm doing but it sounds good.

#268 User is offline   Gnaw 

• View gallery

Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:19 AM

View Posttwelve, on 29 January 2019 - 12:06 AM, said:

This is an easy Logistics pick.

Heh. Mecatol first turn of next round. At the latest. Possibly this round.

Edit: oops. No. Was looking at Tatts’ position not yours.

This post has been edited by Gnaw: 29 January 2019 - 12:33 AM

#269 User is offline   Gnaw 

• View gallery

Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:22 AM

View PostD, on 28 January 2019 - 03:37 PM, said:

I'm just being silly, not actually complaining! I'm actually looking forward to calling Macaw "the violet violent virus"

Purple people eaters?

#270 User is offline   Hugin & Munin 

• Caw caw caw
  • Group: Game Mod

Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:26 AM

First post updated with game map.

#271 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:05 AM

I think I will have to go with Trade for the first round. I have a feeling I am gonna be desperate for resources this game.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#272 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:11 AM

Song lyrics arent poetry? Bob Dylan won the Nobel Price of Litterature for Letnev’s sake
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#273 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:17 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 29 January 2019 - 05:11 AM, said:

Song lyrics arent poetry? Bob Dylan won the Nobel Price of Litterature for Letnev’s sake

Oooh, what is the Nobel Price? $0.02?
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#274 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:40 AM

View PostBlend, on 29 January 2019 - 05:17 AM, said:

Oooh, what is the Nobel Price? $0.02?

A couple of million dollars I believe. But the main boon is the massive sales increase.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#275 User is offline   Gnaw 

• View gallery

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:48 AM

Song lyrics arent poetry? Bob Dylan won the Nobel Price of Litterature for Letnev's sake

Khell’s an academic. If it makes money it can’t be “art”.

#276 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 29 January 2019 - 07:30 AM

I'm going for politics
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#277 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:22 AM

Blend why would the Jol Nar have the Technology strategy card? They have an ability that allows the secondary of technology to act like the primary. The only difference is, it costs them a CT. I assume Leaderships would be D'rek's first choice but we'll see.

#278 User is offline   Gnaw 

• View gallery

Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:22 AM

View PostTattersail_, on 29 January 2019 - 08:22 AM, said:

Blend why would the Jol Nar have the Technology strategy card? They have an ability that allows the secondary of technology to act like the primary. The only difference is, it costs them a CT. I assume Leaderships would be D'rek's first choice but we'll see.

I did that. And didn’t know that.

#279 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:25 AM

View PostGnaw, on 29 January 2019 - 08:22 AM, said:

View PostTattersail_, on 29 January 2019 - 08:22 AM, said:

I did that. And didn't know that.

Ah okay,
Spoiler

#280 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:29 AM

Damn last pick and too slow in submitting my poem, but since this was what I had probably wouldn't have made a difference.

Mentak we! Pirates be!
A confederacy most mercenary!
We ain't no good at poetry!

Share this topic:

• 15 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users