Malazan Empire: WILD CARDS book thread - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1

WILD CARDS book thread Since there isn't one. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 02 November 2018 - 12:58 PM

**NOTE: I've pulled my last post from the UK Reprint thread on this to use as a starter for a main thread to discus this series.**

View PostQuickTidal, on 11 December 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

Started Book 2, ACES HIGH, last night and read the first 60 pages or so.

More good stuff.

Spoiler

And for some reason I put this one down/stopped reading it at the time (probably for some other book that came out that I wanted to devour), and it went back into the ToRead pile...and it's taken me goddamned 5 years to get back into it. What an idiot I am.

Anyways, halfway through ACES HIGH now, and it's really jiving along great. The entire Modular Man / Egyptian Mason Cult / Bag Lady / Swarm Mother plot line that's been the majority of the book so far has been utterly excellent.

Croyd is still one of the most interesting characters, but I'm also really into the dynamic of Modular Man and his selfish asshole creator too.

Haven't met Water Lily yet, who graces the cover.

I have the next three volumes in the ToRead pile (JOKER'S WILD, ACES ABROAD, and DOWN & DIRTY) ready to go was well. With some 24 books in the series I have no idea how long this will take me to read, but I'm really enjoying the ride.

Also, can we talk about how gorgeous the new TOR covers for this series have been?

And if HBO wants to keep its sweet GRRM audience after GoT finishes...this is SOOOOOOO the series to adapt.

SIDEBAR: There is a new volume coming out that details the Wild Cards virus affect on Britain, and Mark Lawrence has a story in it!

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 02 November 2018 - 01:01 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 November 2018 - 02:31 PM

Finished!

Spoilers for all of volume II, ACES HIGH...

Spoiler

Vol. III JOKERS WILD is on my ToRead pile, and hopefully will get to it in the near future.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 October 2021 - 12:39 PM

Since this last post I have read Vol III: JOKER'S WILD (Solid), Vol IV: ACES ABROAD (even better), and now I'm nearly half way into Vol V: DOWN & DIRTY which is proving to be even better.

I think the best thing about this series is that it's a mosaic of so many authors in the same world, so every book has such a varied feeling. So while Martin edits it, and usually has interlude-type stories in it, the lions share of the narrative are spread across many authors and this allows less chance for stinkers in the stories.

No Fortunato here (my least fave character in the whole thing for the first 4 volumes), and I've heard that now that he's had his Japan story in Vol IV, he comes back a single time more and then never again. Thank the gods.

I LOVE the gang war storyline happening in this one. It's just really visceral and allows them to involve a lot of the players in different aspects.

I'm bashing through this one pretty quickly, so I'll probably roll right on into Vol VI: ACE IN THE HOLE and finish out this story arc.

Beyond that I have Vol VII to X in the pile, so I'm going to be reading this series for a long while.

Heads up to fans though...the TOR re-release of the last volume of the main 12 books in the Bantam-era (A TURN OF THE CARDS, which is a standalone by one author; Victor Milan), and the second of the iBooks-era volumes (DEATH DRAWS FIVE) both come out in November.

After that I'm looking fwd to getting onto the TOR-published proper books, which I hear are a sort of fresh start.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 12 October 2021 - 12:40 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users