Malazan Empire: If MBotF was to become a movie, what kind would you like it to be? - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

If MBotF was to become a movie, what kind would you like it to be?

Poll: If MBotF was to become a movie, what kind would you like it to be? (92 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Anime full-lenght movie/s (4 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

2. Anime series (11 votes [11.96%])

Percentage of vote: 11.96%

3. American style full-lenght movie/s (20 votes [21.74%])

Percentage of vote: 21.74%

4. American style series (30 votes [32.61%])

Percentage of vote: 32.61%

5. CGI animated movie/s (Advent Children-like) (11 votes [11.96%])

Percentage of vote: 11.96%

6. Live-action movie/s (16 votes [17.39%])

Percentage of vote: 17.39%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   Hume 

• Banned Like a Mushroom
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 25 September 2005 - 10:10 AM

I think when it comes to the actors your best of going with as many different accents and colours as you can. I dont want to go into what nationalities accent goes with which MbotF race's accents, but It would definately help to keep with the feel of it being real. I do think though that at times there does need to be a feel of it being 'dark' as in the theme. Certain parts such as; the dying azath in MT, the odanhouse in DG, probably certain warrens like chaos and maybe when Toc and Envy & co visit that Panion outpost place.

WIth the LotR score, I personally didnt mind most of it, one part i hate with a PASSION was when gandalf used his 'sorcery' against the nazgul attacking the retreating gondor guys and that chicks high pitched singing vioce comes in, that I could not STAND.

But yeh with parts like the CoD you need soldiers to look dirty, to look really lean and worn (ala, gladiator - first scene). It my opinion it has to be real not CGI or animated, I think I know what your talking about too Roland. It would or could assuming it would be done right, give the feel of it being something much more than simply a fantasy land brought to life, a land where you could almost reach your hand out into the screen and touch characters that you could have sworn you'd met more than once in your life as they had feeling of being real about themselves as well. Not like in LotR where you would never had met someone like gimli or aragorn,..

Hmm I think i'll stop rambling now.

And Will Smith and Chris Rock are NOT taking any part in any MbotF movie. Anomander is 7 foot tall ? how many good actors are that tall and black ? probly best of just using a computer to make black actor taller than normal.
Myself the only actor I can think of for this is Wesley Snipes for Kalam, as the character blade i see similarities between him and kalam sort off.

#22 User is offline   Roland 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 September 2005 - 10:18 AM

That was a joke (About Chris Rock and Kalam). Btw, I could never imagine a black actor playing a Tiste Andii. I just don't picture them as having afro features...

That is why I posted some shots of Sephiroth. It is the same - no living actor could play THAT guy and Anomander is no different.

The only actor I could think of, that goes neatly into a role, is Danny De'Vito (I wonder if anyone will guess which character I'm talking about :D).

And what's wrong with LotR's score? Sure, there is mostly one good theme and the rest is crap, but for the movie it was simply perfect.

And for a Malazan movie, no matter what kind of it, I imagine something like Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust.

#23 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 25 September 2005 - 12:45 PM

Sephiroth is too cool for his own good :D .. Only thing they seemed to continously ignore is that Cloud is a clone of Sephiroth and thus have Genova cells aplenty within him. He shouldn't be affected by the geostigma, just like his "brothers" :D ..

But anyways, though I'd prefer human actors, there is no way anyone would have the time, money or will to make a full sized movie covering most of whats happening in all of the books.. An AC kind of product could acomplish that somewhat more easily I think, and the magic and such would be much better done.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#24 User is offline   Roland 

• High Fist

Posted 25 September 2005 - 04:11 PM

Morgoth, I'm gonna try and not be very rude but you just fu**ing spoiled half the game for me :D I'm as far as the end of the first CD :D

#25 Guest_Killanthir_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 25 September 2005 - 08:12 PM

Roland said:

Ergh! Will Smith?! I'm gonna puke... And Quick Ben, no less... Maybe Chris Rock for Anomander Rake?

But really, let's not turn this topic into "the cast for the never-to-become-reality live action", ok?
Nah, I was thinking a digitally elongated Eddie Griffin for Rake. He could go around calling Brood his Man-Whore.

OK I'll stop now.

*ducks and runs out of thread

#26 User is offline   Roland 

• High Fist

Posted 25 September 2005 - 08:20 PM

*a flying beaver hits him square at the back and maims him for life* :D

#27 User is offline   Lather 

• Lieutenant

Posted 25 September 2005 - 08:42 PM

roland said:

Ergh! Will Smith?! I'm gonna puke

sorry...just watched I, Robot again last night and,...sorry...will smith is HOT. :D :p i'd guess, and i COULD be wrong, but i'd guess that a lot of men DON'T like Will. (jealousjealousjealous??? :D ) :p

and Roland also said:

And what's wrong with LotR's score?

schmaltzy schmaltzy schmaltzy. *spits into the fire*

#28 User is offline   Roland 

• High Fist

Posted 25 September 2005 - 08:47 PM

Dare I say that the day I start being jealous of this... this... this thing I will cut my veins?

btw, I, robot is a great movie :D

#29 User is offline   Lather 

• Lieutenant

Posted 25 September 2005 - 09:02 PM

hahahahahahaha! i THOUGHT that might get a "rise" out of you!!!! :D

yeah, i liked I, Robot fairly well. altho the script writers obviously took liberties they were good, instinctual ones (i think asimov would have approved, he had a great sense of humor) and the whole tone of the film was certainly IMHO true to Asimov. i thought Sonny was awesome. and, once again, will smith NAKED!!!!! :D :p :p

#30 Guest_Sha'ik Reborn_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 25 September 2005 - 09:35 PM

cooooooorrrr!!
will smith naked yum yum
i, robot is a brilliant

#31 User is offline   megaphage 

• Lieutenant

Posted 25 September 2005 - 10:03 PM

Someone said:
"but to convey the emotion required in a scene such as whiskeyjacks/coltaine/itkovians death, it would have to be a human"
I sort of agree with you, but practically speaking the budget would have to be considered and if a live action film is made with cheap, hopeless actors then these scenes would be worse than the worst animation. At least with simple animation you could imagine it.

I think anime or CGI is the only way to do it practically and comprehensively. LOTR was three, long, edited films, and they still missed out loads of moments, dialogue and scenes from the original story. If MBOTF was done in movie format it would either be ridiculously cut down or absurdly long, thus impossible to fund.

A long series of anime or high quality CGI would mean almost every moment in the novels could be captured.

Oh, and Will Smith could never be QB... his head's too wide.

#32 User is offline   Lather 

• Lieutenant

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:47 AM

lordy, you're NOT going to believe this but...this evening i left my apt bldg around 8:30 or so to go for an evening walk in North Beach and there were these two big MUNI buses parked in front of my bldg. they were obviously 1970's model public transport buses and i wondered at this. by 10:30 when i wandered home, my street (very near the heart of downtown, Union Square, for any of you who have been here) was blocked off by SFPD, there are now late model seventies cars parked all up and down the street for 3 blocks and security guards everywhere.
it's obvious there will be filming here tomorrow and some big bucks have been spent on set decoration. it's not cheap to block off at least 3 square blocks of San Francisco, folks. we're talking feature filming...and WHO do you guess is filming here tomorrow????? why YES, mr. yum yum himself, hahahahhahah!!!!! Will Smith!!!!!hahahahahahahahah!! is that hilarious?????
i WILL be calling in to work tomorrow!!!!! it's a film called Pursuit of Happyness (yes, on will smith's website and at IMDB it's spelled with a y)

Pursuit of Happyness

and guys...Thandie Newton from Chronicles of Riddick will also be starring as will Jadan Smith, will and jada's son!!
sometimes life is too much fun, idn't it???!!!!!!! :p :D :D :p

#33 User is offline   Roland 

• High Fist

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:58 AM

Do you have a sniper rifle?

#34 User is offline   Lather 

• Lieutenant

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:01 AM

:D

no but i'm very good at meeting people!!! :D

#35 User is offline   Trotts 

• Barghast Sapper-Wannabe
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:29 AM

hahaha

#36 User is offline   Trotts 

Posted 06 October 2005 - 05:22 AM

just watched advent children

i changed my mind :D i think the mbotf movie should be cgi

#37 User is offline   Roland 

• High Fist

Posted 06 October 2005 - 05:26 AM

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA (*evil laughter*)

#38 User is offline   Trotts 

Posted 06 October 2005 - 05:55 AM

that fight was superb!!!

and at the very beginning, when you first see cloud, and its just a shot of the wolf, it looked so damn real

#39 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 06 October 2005 - 01:49 PM

I would definitely like to see a LOTR - style film version of MBOTF... though I think with these things, there is always a chance that it could be spoiled by a film. Or just Hollywoodised...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#40 User is offline   Trotts 

Posted 06 October 2005 - 03:52 PM

trust me, you want it cgi ala advent children

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +