Malazan Empire: Kellanved's Reach Publisher Summary - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +

Kellanved's Reach Publisher Summary

#1 User is offline   ArchieVist 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 July 2018 - 09:02 PM

Hats off to Werthead for noticing this update.

The incessant war between the bickering city states of Quon Tali rages. So engrossed are the warring lords and princes in their own petty feuds that few notice that an upstart mage from Dal Hon has gained control of the southern seas. But some powers are alarmed.

And in the meantime, as Purge and Tali indulge in what seems like a their never-ending game of war, a mercenary caught up in the fight between the two states suddenly refuses to play along and causes all sorts of chaos. Simultaneously, a pair of escapees from Castle Gris make their way across this ravaged landscape of flame and butchery. Their intention to seek out the legendary Crimson Guard.

And then there's Kellanved who could not care less about any of this petty politicking or strategy or war. Something other and altogether more mysterious has caught his attention and he - together with a reluctant and decidedly sceptical Dancer - traverse continents and journey through the Realms in pursuit . . . But this ancient mystery that has so captivated Kellanved is neither esoteric nor ephemeral. No, it is of an altogether darker and more dangerous hue. It involves the Elder races themselves, and more specifically - certainly more alarmingly - the semi-mythic, and universally dreaded, Army of Dust and Bone.
Surely no one in their right mind would be so foolish as to embark on a journey from which none have returned? Well, no one except Kellanved that is . . .

Returning to the turbulent early history of what would become the Malazan Empire, here is the third awesome chapter in Ian C. Esslemont's new epic fantasy sequence.

#2 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:51 PM

View PostArchieVist, on 25 July 2018 - 09:02 PM, said:

The incessant war between the bickering city states of Quon Tali rages. So engrossed are the warring lords and princes in their own petty feuds that few notice that an upstart mage from Dal Hon has gained control of the southern seas. But some powers are alarmed.

And in the meantime, as Purge and Tali indulge in what seems like a their never-ending game of war, a mercenary caught up in the fight between the two states suddenly refuses to play along and causes all sorts of chaos. Simultaneously, a pair of escapees from Castle Gris make their way across this ravaged landscape of flame and butchery. Their intention to seek out the legendary Crimson Guard.

And then there's Kellanved who could not care less about any of this petty politicking or strategy or war. Something other and altogether more mysterious has caught his attention and he - together with a reluctant and decidedly sceptical Dancer - traverse continents and journey through the Realms in pursuit . . . But this ancient mystery that has so captivated Kellanved is neither esoteric nor ephemeral. No, it is of an altogether darker and more dangerous hue. It involves the Elder races themselves, and more specifically - certainly more alarmingly - the semi-mythic, and universally dreaded, Army of Dust and Bone.
Surely no one in their right mind would be so foolish as to embark on a journey from which none have returned? Well, no one except Kellanved that is . . .

Returning to the turbulent early history of what would become the Malazan Empire, here is the third awesome chapter in Ian C. Esslemont's new epic fantasy sequence.

I wonder who the mercenary and the pair of escapees are? Trying to remember if they mentioned anything in Assail about any of the CG from Gris.
In the language of flowers corn stands for trust.

#3 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 26 July 2018 - 02:30 PM

It's being called a sequence now instead of a trilogy! :crybaby: Always hoped it'd be longer than three books, and it seems to be coming true.

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:07 AM

View PostGintokian, on 26 July 2018 - 12:51 PM, said:

View PostArchieVist, on 25 July 2018 - 09:02 PM, said:

I wonder who the mercenary and the pair of escapees are? Trying to remember if they mentioned anything in Assail about any of the CG from Gris.

The Vow hasnt happened yet so in theory it could be anyone we haven't met yet in the series, ie not Cowl or Shimmer, but otherwise the whole Guard is available. Skinner would be a solid bet I think.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:19 AM

There were a pair of twins being executed at the beginning of ROTCG.... maybe started looking for them but turned into Kellenved's? He has a habit of kind of just converting people.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#6 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 27 July 2018 - 05:47 AM

Escapees from Castle Gris. Malle maybe? Aside from her we don't know many characters from Gris and she is the only one I remember that is already born at that time.

On the other side Malle later joined the empire...

It would be interesting to see Skinner

#7 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:45 PM

Skinner would be a good guess for sure. Do we know anything about Iron Bars' backstory? It would be great to see him again. Or maybe Stoop?

#8 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 27 July 2018 - 02:11 PM

Just checked it. Iron Bars has a great-granddaughter in Gris. So maybe he is from Gris as well Posted Image

Stoop should already be with the Guard. He also was the Siegemaster of the Father of K'azz.

#9 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 27 July 2018 - 02:38 PM

View Post- Coltaine -, on 27 July 2018 - 02:11 PM, said:

Stoop should already be with the Guard. He also was the Siegemaster of the Father of K'azz.

Don't cling too frantically to continuity....
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#10 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:15 PM

I'd like to see more of Skinner too. We've seen Kazz in Dancers Lament and Cowl in Deadhouse Landing.
So the last of the Crimson Guard leaders for the 3rd book would be nice.

#11 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:24 PM

Skinner and Iron Bars together could be interesting. We know he really hates Skinner after his betrayal so it could be really cool to see what they were like before.

#12 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 27 July 2018 - 05:38 PM

View PostGorefest, on 27 July 2018 - 02:38 PM, said:

View Post- Coltaine -, on 27 July 2018 - 02:11 PM, said:

Don't cling too frantically to continuity....

I still have the hope that we won't have to rewrite that much stuff in the wiki. Probably a false hope, but nevertheless :crybaby:

This post has been edited by - Coltaine -: 27 July 2018 - 08:44 PM

#13 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 July 2018 - 06:57 PM

It's Grub and Harllo Jr.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#14 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 27 July 2018 - 09:24 PM

View PostLuv2B_Sassy, on 27 July 2018 - 06:57 PM, said:

It's Grub and Harllo Jr.

Lol.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#15 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:43 PM

View PostLuv2B_Sassy, on 27 July 2018 - 06:57 PM, said:

It's Grub and Harllo Jr.

I laughed waaay to hard at this.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#16 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 03 August 2018 - 03:36 AM

I kinda like how ICE and SE and their publishers basically just them write whatever the hell they want for these back cover blurbs nowadays, uncaring if anyone who picks up the books is enticed. It's not even written that well, really, but that doesn't matter whatsoever to anyone - we just want to get hints to the content within.

As someone who just finished Deadhouse Landing tonight, I am pumped for more. Path to Ascendancy is my favourite stuff since Crippled God.

Also: now I have to go to Dancer's Lament forum and try to remember when Kazz came up.
Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

#17 User is offline   Jussi 

• Sergeant

Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:27 PM

Cover art:
https://images-na.ss...81r0P1ybcJL.jpg

#18 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:13 PM

The Bone Throne!

#19 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 15 August 2018 - 02:14 AM

Nice!
...tho I feel like it’s missing a ship or two...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#20 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 15 August 2018 - 05:49 AM

Well, if Skinner and Iron Bars used to be friends or "allies" before they joined the Guard it would explain the nature of Iron Bars' reaction to Skinner's betrayal, He probably felt it the most. I like the lean of things plot-wise.

He makes more sense in Stonewielder with that in mind...

Seeing the Bone Throne....I hope we get Dassem's first meeting with Onos T'oolan.

That would be interesting.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users