Malazan Empire: Budget headphones - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Budget headphones

#1 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 17 July 2018 - 05:21 PM

My long time computer buddy, my old, dirt-cheap Philips set is finally dying.

I want to get a new one, but can't spare a lot of cash. I have some queries
Which brands should I be looking at?
At the moment I am looking at Sony, Panasonic, Philips.

How good is Sennheiser? It seems to be a bit expensive. Same for Audio Technica.

Should I be looking at BoAt, JBL etc?
Also lots of people talk about bass, but I prefer a more balanced output. My musical tastes lean more towards rock, heavy metal, symphonic metal, classical etc. So I need something with more balanced sound.

#2 User is offline   Itwęs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 July 2018 - 06:07 PM

I've had Sennheiser HD 206s for something about 2 years, they're really cheap considering they're Sennheisers and I love them. I've also seen them used in pro music industry a lot so that says something about them as well imo. One of the reasons I bought them is they've got 2m long cable which I kinda needed for my pc setup.
All things fall from kings to rose petals

#3 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:38 AM

View PostItwęs Nom, on 17 July 2018 - 06:07 PM, said:

I've had Sennheiser HD 206s for something about 2 years, they're really cheap considering they're Sennheisers and I love them. I've also seen them used in pro music industry a lot so that says something about them as well imo. One of the reasons I bought them is they've got 2m long cable which I kinda needed for my pc setup.

Yeah that is one headphone I have been looking at. Its more or less in my budget. It gets sold out pretty fast so I suppose its popular

#4 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:42 AM

Sennheisers might seem expensive but they are superb for what you get unlike say Beats by Dre. Yes they are still a lot of money as a one off purchase but generally well worth it.

I think Amazon used to sell Sennheisers at a pretty decent price but it depends on your budget.

I can't comment on other brands except to say Beats by Dre are massively overpriced and overhyped.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#5 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:27 AM

Yesterday on prime day you would have got them cheap. Not helpful now I know.

If you or someone you know does a lot of travelling and can hold off for a short while, airport duty free is your friend for this stuff

#6 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 18 July 2018 - 02:08 PM

Yeah I am coming around to the idea that the Sennheiser 206 Nom mentioned is the one for me. Another online shopping site is giving a very nice discount.
Any comments on build quality? I assume its durable.

#7 User is offline   Itwęs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia

Posted 18 July 2018 - 04:59 PM

View PostAndorion, on 18 July 2018 - 02:08 PM, said:

Yeah I am coming around to the idea that the Sennheiser 206 Nom mentioned is the one for me. Another online shopping site is giving a very nice discount.

Turns out I've got 201s, don't know what the difference is though, they look exactly the same, 206s might just be updated version?

They're pretty obviously made from cheap plastic but mine have held up perfectly well so far, there are no creaking sounds or anything, which is better than I can say about any other headphones I've had in this range. Well the cable started splitting up quite early but I just taped it back together in 2 places and the split stopped its' advance for good. The top of the bridge on them I've got pretty scratched but the shells themselves still look just like new. I find them very lightweight and comfortable to wear while the shells still wrap around the ears and block outer sound nicely. Usually after time my previous headphones seemed considerable quieter than when new but I ain't really noticed this about these yet.

Regarding the brand itself, I've also had 2 pairs of in-ear headphones from them too. First ones were the flat kinda type that doesn't block outside sound at all, which I kinda underrated as at the time I used them mostly for public transport so they didn't suit me very well. They were really cheap though and the sound was fucking beautiful for the price, they only lasted me few months, one of the buds just stopped playing so that was disappointing. Thought I give Sennheiser another shot and now I've got cx300II, which are about twice the price and I've no complaints about them, even dropped them in water recently and they still play. They block sound very well, are comfortable and the sound is right up to their price. Had them since Christmas I think so can't say anything about how fast they wear out.
All things fall from kings to rose petals

#8 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 18 July 2018 - 05:16 PM

I've had a pair of in ear Sennheisers for years only cost me £30-40 and have stunning sound quality. I really want to top of the range ones but money and suchlike...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#9 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 18 July 2018 - 05:19 PM

View PostItwęs Nom, on 18 July 2018 - 04:59 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 18 July 2018 - 02:08 PM, said:

Turns out I've got 201s, don't know what the difference is though, they look exactly the same, 206s might just be updated version?

They're pretty obviously made from cheap plastic but mine have held up perfectly well so far, there are no creaking sounds or anything, which is better than I can say about any other headphones I've had in this range. Well the cable started splitting up quite early but I just taped it back together in 2 places and the split stopped its' advance for good. The top of the bridge on them I've got pretty scratched but the shells themselves still look just like new. I find them very lightweight and comfortable to wear while the shells still wrap around the ears and block outer sound nicely. Usually after time my previous headphones seemed considerable quieter than when new but I ain't really noticed this about these yet.

Regarding the brand itself, I've also had 2 pairs of in-ear headphones from them too. First ones were the flat kinda type that doesn't block outside sound at all, which I kinda underrated as at the time I used them mostly for public transport so they didn't suit me very well. They were really cheap though and the sound was fucking beautiful for the price, they only lasted me few months, one of the buds just stopped playing so that was disappointing. Thought I give Sennheiser another shot and now I've got cx300II, which are about twice the price and I've no complaints about them, even dropped them in water recently and they still play. They block sound very well, are comfortable and the sound is right up to their price. Had them since Christmas I think so can't say anything about how fast they wear out.

I think 206 is the updated 201, so no problem there.

Since I intend mine for indoor use at my desk only, I think these will suffice perfectly.

Thanks for the recommendation!

#10 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:34 AM

You can get a cheap pair of Sennies for £20 that'll last a good while and sound great doing so.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#11 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:58 AM

My Sennheisers just came and they are excellent!!
The slightly heaviers songs sound mind blowingly good. I may be falling love with metal all over again.

#12 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 20 July 2018 - 12:26 PM

View PostAndorion, on 20 July 2018 - 10:58 AM, said:

My Sennheisers just came and they are excellent!!
The slightly heaviers songs sound mind blowingly good. I may be falling love with metal all over again.

🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users