• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Twilight Imperium (II) - Chatty Thread

#5821 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 24 January 2019 - 01:27 AM

From the start I had been thinking I would have to go mostly military because I had so many resources and so few influence, but Khell really threw me for a loop on that plan early on, and the struggle to collect CTs was a huge pain in the butt all game long. I don't feel like I capitalized on L1z1x' strengths very well, but I'm also not sure what exactly I would have done differently either. Early on I felt the need to make peace with my side neighbours due to Khell's deathball and IH+Morgoth+Nom looking like they would be too peaceful, maybe that was the wrong call. Using the L1z1x bombardment/take-over-spacedocks abilities is damned hard when everyone is building so many PDSs. I suspect those abilities are more useful when playing with a player count where the Construction strategy isn't guaranteed to be picked every round, but maybe not. Early on I made the decision that Inheritance Systems is a total trap and I would ignore it, but with the resources I had maybe I should've tried to fast-track to mid-game War Suns. I dunno. I definitely feel like I want to play a race with better trading and politics next time around, though.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#5822 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 January 2019 - 01:37 AM

View PostTattersail_, on 23 January 2019 - 01:51 PM, said:

View PostKhellendros, on 23 January 2019 - 01:31 PM, said:

View PostMorgoth, on 23 January 2019 - 01:11 PM, said:

I haven't heard much about you guys' thoughts on the game. What were your plans and strategies? were there things that worked well and things that didn't? Why did you make the choices you made? Come on, I'm curious!

Obviously I played the Saar wrong. I went all in on the vagrancy/mobility aspect - and it was fun to travel the whole galaxy - which meant it was much harder to maintain friendly relations. Plus letting go of all my systems was clearly a bad play. Everything went perfect the first couple of rounds - I completed POs, negotiated successfully with the Mentak for their no-pillage PN, and took Mecatol Rex first. But I should have tried to make my starting systems more secure with my neighbours before trying to move further, and should not have let them go so easily. Never picking up Imperial for extra points while I controlled Mecatol was also probably dumb (though not doing so did allow me to spectacularly invade Tatts' home systems). Having said all that, I finished on 9VP - had I had more luck with secret objectives it could have been 10-12VP, which I think shows that it is possible to be successful with the Saar while only holding the bare minimum of systems.

I recommend the Saar - no one will like you, everyone will want you gone, but they are so different to anything else in a very fun way. The roaming Saar balls of death and the impenetrable asteroid fields are fantastic.

Don't rub it in! I was prevented from scoring objectives in 2 status phases cause of you, and 1 cause of Twelve which was understandable. Lessons learned though.

So what were your overall thoughts on the Hacan? How bout in comparison to whatever race you played in the first game? I feel like you played them better than I did (until you decided to team up with Gnaw to try to take out Twelve), but still didn't get extremely far along in VPs with them either. I dunno, I didn't particularly like them.

I'd like to see someone like Morgoth or Drek play them, I think, just to see how a more experienced player might play them.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#5823 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:16 AM

View PostImperial Historian, on 23 January 2019 - 06:16 PM, said:

I enjoyed playing the ghosts but struggled translating the tactical mobility into points. The ability to play people off against each other buying wormholes was fun, though it definitely didn't make me friends.

That said I enjoyed the ridiculous things you could do as the ghosts, being able to reach practically every hex on the map opens up a tonne of options.

The Ghosts are my favourite. Their flexibility is so much fun. No one are safe, you can go anywhere at any time. Your flagship is awesome with the added fun of having the pds in your home system aid your attack and defence. And your home system is the safest in the game.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#5824 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:19 AM

View PostBlend, on 24 January 2019 - 01:37 AM, said:

I haven't heard much about you guys' thoughts on the game. What were your plans and strategies? were there things that worked well and things that didn't? Why did you make the choices you made? Come on, I'm curious!

Obviously I played the Saar wrong. I went all in on the vagrancy/mobility aspect - and it was fun to travel the whole galaxy - which meant it was much harder to maintain friendly relations. Plus letting go of all my systems was clearly a bad play. Everything went perfect the first couple of rounds - I completed POs, negotiated successfully with the Mentak for their no-pillage PN, and took Mecatol Rex first. But I should have tried to make my starting systems more secure with my neighbours before trying to move further, and should not have let them go so easily. Never picking up Imperial for extra points while I controlled Mecatol was also probably dumb (though not doing so did allow me to spectacularly invade Tatts' home systems). Having said all that, I finished on 9VP - had I had more luck with secret objectives it could have been 10-12VP, which I think shows that it is possible to be successful with the Saar while only holding the bare minimum of systems.

I recommend the Saar - no one will like you, everyone will want you gone, but they are so different to anything else in a very fun way. The roaming Saar balls of death and the impenetrable asteroid fields are fantastic.

Don't rub it in! I was prevented from scoring objectives in 2 status phases cause of you, and 1 cause of Twelve which was understandable. Lessons learned though.

So what were your overall thoughts on the Hacan? How bout in comparison to whatever race you played in the first game? I feel like you played them better than I did (until you decided to team up with Gnaw to try to take out Twelve), but still didn't get extremely far along in VPs with them either. I dunno, I didn't particularly like them.

I'd like to see someone like Morgoth or Drek play them, I think, just to see how a more experienced player might play them.

I haven't had as much fun with the Hacan, though they certainly felt strong the time I tried them. I am not good at being passive though, which is kind of the whole Hacan stick. Just sit tight and and trade yourself to victory.

#5825 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:36 AM

View PostBlend, on 24 January 2019 - 01:37 AM, said:

Honestly that whole fiasco with Twelve hampered my game big style. If I had let him get to the centre and be everyone else's problem I may have even been able to take out his home system mid game without as much trouble. Without Khell breaking promises I may have scored a few VP's higher but I cannot complain. I enjoyed the Hacan, not as much as the Ghosts because being able to move like them is a massive boon. Get a fleet on one of your wormhole's then move another wormhole to a system or near a system you really want to take. Arinam/Meer is such a good system and so is Mallice if anyone can take and hold them then that extra CT can go a long way.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#5826 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:39 AM

Hacan though, lots of trading options, Keep your PN those commodities you have are your life force. I had a lot of ships built which I didn't need at all really.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#5827 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:59 AM

View PostD, on 24 January 2019 - 01:27 AM, said:

From the start I had been thinking I would have to go mostly military because I had so many resources and so few influence, but Khell really threw me for a loop on that plan early on, and the struggle to collect CTs was a huge pain in the butt all game long. I don't feel like I capitalized on L1z1x' strengths very well, but I'm also not sure what exactly I would have done differently either. Early on I felt the need to make peace with my side neighbours due to Khell's deathball and IH+Morgoth+Nom looking like they would be too peaceful, maybe that was the wrong call. Using the L1z1x bombardment/take-over-spacedocks abilities is damned hard when everyone is building so many PDSs. I suspect those abilities are more useful when playing with a player count where the Construction strategy isn't guaranteed to be picked every round, but maybe not. Early on I made the decision that Inheritance Systems is a total trap and I would ignore it, but with the resources I had maybe I should've tried to fast-track to mid-game War Suns. I dunno. I definitely feel like I want to play a race with better trading and politics next time around, though.

I thought you got a lot out of your race and their destructive potential. Especially in how you basically threatened tatts into some ridiculous concessions. And you were very close to the victory.

I struggled with CTS too in this game, it is a serious pain, and was a real change from the Nekro last game. They get more than they know what to do with.

#5828 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 24 January 2019 - 01:24 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 24 January 2019 - 08:39 AM, said:

Hacan though, lots of trading options, Keep your PN those commodities you have are your life force. I had a lot of ships built which I didn't need at all really.

Yeah, if the last two games taught me anything, it is "don't spend CT just to spend resources".
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#5829 User is offline   Itwęs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia

Posted 27 January 2019 - 02:49 PM

Didn't have any long-time strategy, somtimes made a short-term one for myself but often I'd just play my turns with very little foresight waiting for some opportunity or an opening. Obviously I had a great starting position (and SOs but I also discarded a few of those), especially with Khell vacating all his former planets and despite my initial discomfort with how Mentak are strustured and my inability to make use of the pillage ability I ended up really liking the race. Obviously I really favoured the cruiser IIs mobility (and capacity) both in general and especially with such a terriotory so the ambush ability came in handy with that. I was learning as I went as I didn't really pay much attention to details and specifics of all the rules and mechanics when paired with Gnaw and still managed to miss some essentials until nearly the eod. Made quite a number of fuckups but the worst by far was leaving Corneeq/Resculon to Morghy there in the end, but I'm aware I had done a very similar thing much earlier in the game noticing it too late as well with Morghy choosing not to take the step so I guess it all came back in the end. Either way I appreciate how you all were nice to me in the beginning and despite trying to look like I know what I'm doing I pondered all the advices I got on thread too. I'm kinda content with how I managed to finish but I definitely could have done better, which could have ended up with worse results actually as this way I managed to stay under everyone's radars in the late game so who knows, kinda content with how I played but not too much, pretty content with how I managed to finish. Most importantly I enjoyed the game and my race and the learning process too, just never got to any real fight.
All things fall from kings to rose petals

Share this topic:

• 292 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users