Malazan Empire: Chapter 23: Dialogue between Paran and Cotillion - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Chapter 23: Dialogue between Paran and Cotillion

#1 User is offline   gugo 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 July 2018 - 02:58 PM

Hello,

I hope you can help me to clarify a dilemma I cannot get rid of.
At the very beginning of Chapter 23 there's a stunning statement by Cotillion:

"You were the one," Paran said, as numbness spread through him, "the one who possessed the girl—"
The man faced the captain. "Yes, I am Cotillion. Shadowthrone regrets leaving you outside Hood's Gates—at the cost of two Hounds. Do you realize that those precious creatures had lived for thousands of years? Do you realize that no man—mortal or Ascendant—has ever before killed a Hound?"
Did I save their souls? Wouldn't telling that story matter? No, too much like begging.

But Anomader Rake killed the Hounds, not Paran.
Why does Cotillion blame their death on Paran?

Thank you for your help :D

This post has been edited by gugo: 05 July 2018 - 03:00 PM

#2 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 05 July 2018 - 04:29 PM

View Postgugo, on 05 July 2018 - 02:58 PM, said:

Hello,

I hope you can help me to clarify a dilemma I cannot get rid of.
At the very beginning of Chapter 23 there's a stunning statement by Cotillion:

"You were the one," Paran said, as numbness spread through him, "the one who possessed the girl—"
The man faced the captain. "Yes, I am Cotillion. Shadowthrone regrets leaving you outside Hood's Gates—at the cost of two Hounds. Do you realize that those precious creatures had lived for thousands of years? Do you realize that no man—mortal or Ascendant—has ever before killed a Hound?"
Did I save their souls? Wouldn't telling that story matter? No, too much like begging.

But Anomader Rake killed the Hounds, not Paran.
Why does Cotillion blame their death on Paran?

Thank you for your help :D

It's more out of frustration than anything else. The Hounds locked onto Paran after destroying Hairlock.

But Rake intervened, probably to prevent Shadow getting hold of Chance which would have given them a hold on Oponn. This caused the Hounds to die.

Thus, Shadow blames Paran for simply being at the wrong place at the wrong time, and it is an unjust accusation, as Paran himself points out. Its even more ironic because the only reason Paran is touched by Oponn at all is because of the assassination attempt, which was what the Hood's Gate reference was about.

#3 User is offline   gugo 

• Recruit

Posted 06 July 2018 - 07:14 AM

Thank you, Andorion.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users