Malazan Empire: Can Gardens of the Moon hit the big screen like Game of Thrones - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Can Gardens of the Moon hit the big screen like Game of Thrones

#1 User is offline   Mera II 

• The Crimson Guard
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Gardens of The Moon
  • I'm here because I belong here

Posted 05 July 2018 - 03:45 AM

I looking forward and googling whether producers and film makers ever thought of making a series out of this book.it ain't going call Malazan book of the fallen or empire I think Gardens of the Moon is okay like Game of Thrones pick from songs of ice and fire year I guess
TV SERIES Gardens of the Moon

#2 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 05 July 2018 - 04:37 AM

Not yet ...too big of budget..

..and Hollywood would mess it up
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 05 July 2018 - 04:38 AM

I think Gardens of the moon is a bad brand. Sounds too floofy. You'll never get the bros on board.

You need something more evocative, like Dragons over Darujistan, Empire of Potsherds, Elements in Opposition, Hood's hairy balls, etc.

#4 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:15 AM

SE has hinted in the past that there were talks. Nothing solid so far though. I think SE's idea was 13 full length films instead of a tv series, but I cannot see anyone committing to a project like that.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#5 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:53 PM

I don't see a problem with calling a TV-series Malazan Book of the Fallen. In the case of Game of Thrones they chose the name because it is a good description of the series and Song of Ice and Fire might have been to vague. I think the same would be the case for Gardens of the Moon as the title of the whole series.

A film or TV adaptation would be cool, but also very difficult to do properly.

This post has been edited by - Coltaine -: 05 July 2018 - 01:53 PM

#6 User is offline   Not Noto 

• Corporal

Posted 05 July 2018 - 02:22 PM

I hope not. I think it would be very bad. Like sword of truth. After watching a few episodes I lost all interest of the books. Did not even finish it because all I could think of was how bad they made the TV series.
So, please leave this masterpiece alone.

#7 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 05 July 2018 - 02:51 PM

I think the difference is that Sword of Truth is is a ball of used toilet paper. You can't really remove the smell of shit.

Thinking about it Book of the Fallen could work as an abbreviated title.

#8 User is offline   nicetrout 

• Sergeant

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:56 PM

Book of the Fallen is a fine title. I just always think that really an adaption would just be unimaginable.

#9 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:18 PM

I agree, I think the world is just too big and complex for a television show or film series to do it justice. They would have to have a crazy special effects and makeup budget as well, which I doubt it would get.
In the language of flowers corn stands for trust.

#10 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:22 PM

No.

Forget budget. Forget too complex.

The world is unfamiliar in the extreme. It is also horribly set up for exposition due to a style that minimizes exposition even in the books. Which means you would have a show where the audience has no clue what is going on.

GoT is in a more stock fantasy world based off of medieval Europe, and is naturally set up through character interactions to provide exposition as to who characters are and how they relate. Its magic is WYSIWYG, more or less
And while it is a big hit, people still joke/complain about not being able to remember all the characters and keep track of it all.

So much in MBotF is driven through POV inner monologue. Exposition, seeing what one character knows or thinks they know about the world or other characters or history. All that has to become conversation.

And how do you handle warrens? Not just animating them and explaining a bit of what's going on, but then explaining which warrens are being used and when. Warrens for travel can just look like wormholes, but there really isn't a visual cue to accessing a warren for power. They simply have other magic users able to sense it. You'd need to replace those with animations like some little colour flash or something, color coded for weapons, and then you'd need some sort of exposition dump to explain it to the audience.

There really aren't many fantasy books out there that would be harder to adapt into series or films.

This post has been edited by Nevyn: 05 July 2018 - 08:41 PM

Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#11 User is offline   Mera II 

• The Crimson Guard
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Gardens of The Moon
  • I'm here because I belong here

Posted 08 July 2018 - 01:09 PM

Oh guys don't give up now on the GoTM of being made into a TV series, and been difficult doesn't make it impossible .I read Game of Thrones several times since 10 years and I'm still expecting the last of the series before HBO put it on the screen. Game of Thrones ain't a movie script at first and never also easy to put those complex world of battles and places into motion, may be it is easy for now but have you ever ask for their challenges. They all got their ups and downs like Game of Thrones many battle scenes were ignore, many characters and places too, but it just seem too much and a lot more for GoTM to shape, ignore, change and also to add, but trust the movie makers its all for the betterness of the series. It is not necessarily the whole book unaltered should be put into onto the screen, no and not even for a series base on true stories or histories, it just has to be the TV version of the series out from the book version of the series. Besides i read Terry Goodskind Sword of Truth and there is a lot more difference of the two, the book and the TV series, but the fact that they differ never made it wield TV series and they all serve the same purpose to entertain or whatsoever. And the hobbit was just one book but it turn to be three movies of about 3 hours duration clearly a lot more was added and it worth everything and we love it too. We must know that whatever difficulties and problems we have detected means we are good book readers and also trust good film makers too .
I was having a problem on the vague issues about these Warren things and Great Raven Crone talking and also Hairlock puppet body and all these strange creatures, races and human species and battle scenes are going to make a such a series "if there would be" nothing but animation or roughly katoon like but i think we leave them to the movie makers and our technological world which is ever evolving and also a matter of time will tell.
IF YOU STILL DISAGREE THEN I THINK WE LEAVE IT THIS WAY LIKE A TREASURE WE THE READERS HAVE FOUND AND NOT ALL FANTASY NEED TO HIT THE BIG SCREEN AND MAYBE THE TALE OF THE MALAZAN BOOK OF THE FALLEN IS NO EXCEPTION. AND I'M JUST DESPERATE TO SEE SOMETHING LIKE TV SERIES "GARDENS OF THE MOON SEASON 1 EPISODE 1" AND THE NEXT AND WHAT MY BELOVED CHARACTERS REALLY LOOK LIKE. IM DONE JUST CURIOUS AND DESPERATE NOTHING MORE.

I was trying to take your doubts and make a
conviction of them that, very difficult
doesn't make it impossible.
MERA II

This post has been edited by Mera II: 08 July 2018 - 01:11 PM

#12 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 08 July 2018 - 01:30 PM

OKAY.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users