Malazan Empire: Star Wars Expanded Universe Thread (ALL) - Malazan Empire

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Star Wars Expanded Universe Thread (ALL) PT, OT, ST, and High Republic Era

#41 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 24 February 2021 - 06:12 PM

I would also say that it's a good yardstick for whether one might like or dislike the new era.

Oh and to answer your question from earlier BK, The writer of main storyline Book 2 is Cavan Scott. Comes out in the Summer.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#42 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 February 2021 - 07:06 PM

View PostBriar King, on 24 February 2021 - 07:01 PM, said:

Wait wait wait what’s this Into the Dark book by Claudia then?

Ain’t she one of the NU authors people fawn over?

It's considered a YA book, so it's not technically considered the main arc books. I know, it's confusing.

There are Comics, YA Books, Children's (middle grade) books, Young Reader books, and the Main arc adult books.

The Claudia Gray ones fit the YA category.

So far LIGHT and the summer Cavan Scott release THE RISING STORM are the only canon main adult series books.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#43 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 February 2021 - 02:07 PM

View PostBriar King, on 25 February 2021 - 02:56 AM, said:

I think I ll try it. I recognize a name from Light in it.

She's a decent author, I don't mind her stuff.

View PostBriar King, on 25 February 2021 - 02:56 AM, said:

I’m really hoping the new show Acolyte goes back further then Light but I ll be good if it doesn’t. I do still find only that short a time a misstep.

So the High Republic has three Phases within its overall timeline of 200 years, LIGHT OF THE JEDI (which we are in), QUEST OF THE JEDI, and finally TRIALS OF THE JEDI (about 50 years before the Prequels)...

ACOLYTE is reportedly taking place in TRIALS era as the HR ends.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 25 February 2021 - 02:08 PM

#44 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 April 2021 - 04:42 PM

So DelRey is doing a 50th Anniversary (of Lucasfilm) re-release of LEGENDS books, with new cover in Trade Paperback form. Some of the art is lovely. I wonder how many they'll do.

They seem to be starting with HEIR, SHATTERPOINT, and BANE...

#45 User is offline   Zeto Demerzel 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 August 2021 - 08:58 AM

Reading my first 'Canon' book in Aftermath. Bought the full trilogy and the first three High Republic books on a whim. Not bad so far.
It's also made me resume The Clone Wars which I'd aborted many years ago halfway through Season 5.

#46 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 August 2021 - 12:22 PM

View PostZeto Demerzel, on 20 August 2021 - 08:58 AM, said:

Reading my first 'Canon' book in Aftermath.

This whole trilogy is terrible, and Wendig was fired for being an utter prick to readers on Twitter.

#47 User is offline   Zeto Demerzel 

• Sergeant

Posted 21 August 2021 - 01:44 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 August 2021 - 12:22 PM, said:

View PostZeto Demerzel, on 20 August 2021 - 08:58 AM, said:

Reading my first 'Canon' book in Aftermath.

This whole trilogy is terrible, and Wendig was fired for being an utter prick to readers on Twitter.

Thanks for the heads-up. On to the High Republic era then.

#48 User is offline   Zeto Demerzel 

• Sergeant

Posted 06 September 2021 - 07:11 AM

Finished 'Light of the Jedi' and thought it was alright. Had some nice bits - the setting, in particular, being a bit of a highpoint for the Republic - and some clunky bits - lots of odd chapter transitions and the somewhat deus-exy nature of the main baddy and his box of goodies.

#49 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 January 2022 - 01:39 PM

I'm back to my New Jedi Order re-read. A few chapters into DARK TIDE: ONSLAUGHT by Michael Stackpole, and I honestly forgot just how good this series is at taking everything that the previous Legends books established and combined them, and started to incorporate the Prequels stuff (as TPM had already come out when this book came out)....so little details like how they describe the Senate Chamber in this when Leia and Borsk Fey'la are petitioning the Senate to be wary of the clear threat the Yuuzhan Vong pose...it's very much described how you see it in TPM.

But yeah, give me Jacen, Jaina, Anakin, Gavin Darklighter, Corran Horn and his two kids, and especially Mara Jade over anyone and anything in the canon Sequels.

Legends is just better to me.

Anyways, I will be probably rolling this up with DARK TIDE II: RUIN right after as they kind of work as one story.

#50 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 23 January 2022 - 07:53 AM

New Jedi Order did really in using stuff from before and changing up the setting in interesting ways. Before Del Rey got cold feet and went back on all the stuff.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#51 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 May 2022 - 12:32 PM

I'm back into the High Republic stuff, (I had books 2 and 3 of the adult canon books on deck to read as I've only read LIGHT)...but the interesting news is that the next Phase of the HR books (QUEST) doesn't progress...it actually goes back another hundred years.

My assumption is that events 100 years before the "height" of the High Republic LIGHT era, there are events and characters that inform what will be the final Phase (TRIALS)....why do I have this assumption? There released a character poster. It's a woman and her name is Marda Ro...we can only assume she's related to the villain of Phase 1 Marchion Ro.

EXCITING STUFF!

#52 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 30 May 2022 - 12:45 PM

So I was about to jump into Cavan Scott's THE RISING STORM (adult book 2 in the High Republic), but I realized that the order of timeline is Adult book, YA book, Adult Book, YA book for each wave of the Phase. Note: I'm skipping the 9-12 age novels.

So it goes

Phase 1, Wave 1

LIGHT OF THE JEDI (Adult)
INTO THE DARK (YA)

Phase 1, Wave 2

THE RISING STORM (Adult)
OUT OF THE SHADOWS (YA)

Phase 1, Wave 3

THE FALLEN STAR (Adult)
MIDNIGHT HORIZONS (YA)

So I picked up the three YA books on the weekend (that's all the High Republic canon books out so far [minus the children's ones] in hardcover....so I guess I'm all in on this era of Star Wars and collecting)

So of that list I'm on INTO THE DARK by Claudia Gray, and it's WONDERFUL. It's much more laser focused on characters than LIGHT was (though I understand Soule had the unenviable task of setting a whole era going with a disaster book, a tall order) and as such I'm getting much more interplay at an emotional level with the leads in this one.

Plus there is a sentient rock co-pilot named Geode that the Matthew McConaghey-like pilot of the transport ship they are on (when the hyperdrive lanes close) that the Jedi on board all think is just a rock and the pilot is crazy...so that's intensely fun.

I think I've said this further upthread, but The High Republic is 100% the BEST thing Disney has done with the IP since buying Lucasfilm, and it's easily the best thing I've enjoyed in Star Wars canon in about 2 decades. I still feel like the best route forward for Lucasfilm in films is to go all in on adapting the High Republic stuff for screen and make their own MCU with multiple connected HR-era films or TV...I know there are two shows already coming...one being ACOLYTE...so they are definitely not squandering it....but a trilogy of films with LIGHT as the launching point would do so well!

Anyways, as I noted above at Celebration they announced Phase 2 of the High Republic era jumps back another 150 years prior to the timeline of the current HR books...and here is the first cover...a Pantoran Jedi? Cool! - plus note the title panel colour change from the Gold that it currently is, to blue....I expect Phase 3 to be red, but I could be wrong. Anyways check it out!

Attached File  PoD.jpg (298.15K)
Number of downloads: 0

#53 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 30 May 2022 - 05:42 PM

Rising Storm was the only good book for me. I never caught Into the Dark and now I never will after the shitfest that was Fallen Star. I’m completely unimpressed with Claudia Gray. Out of the Shadows has to be one of the worst SW books I’ve ever read with the for sure worst character for me. I only got a few chapters in Horizon before I put it down even though the little I read was so much better than Star but Star burned me down so much I realized I wasn’t in the right mood to do another SW. Will go back I’m sure.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#54 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 30 May 2022 - 06:15 PM

I’m not the biggest fan of the layout of HR either. I could tell by Fallen Star that I was missing things even though they say you can just read the adult novels and be ok. Nope. There are some chips. I sure ain’t reading the comics or the kiddy books though.

#55 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 31 May 2022 - 01:06 PM

INTO THE DARK by Claudia Gray halfway point and...

Spoiler

Great book, only getting better. I really like Gray's work. She very much gets characters and humanity.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 31 May 2022 - 01:13 PM

#56 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 31 May 2022 - 05:23 PM

Does she ()bomb her other books? I had high hopes for this author and then they were dashed against a wall with Fallen Star.

#57 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 31 May 2022 - 07:15 PM

View PostDown the shitter in the great flush, on 31 May 2022 - 05:23 PM, said:

Does she ()bomb her other books?

I don't know what ()bomb means....

#58 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 31 May 2022 - 07:28 PM

Parentheses bomb

#59 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 31 May 2022 - 07:57 PM

View PostDown the shitter in the great flush, on 31 May 2022 - 07:28 PM, said:

Parentheses bomb

Oh, she likes to use them, but they don’t bother me at all. And I don’t see them happening that often.

#60 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 01 June 2022 - 03:52 AM

Hmm I ll look forward to your report on Fallen Star.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users