• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Star Wars Expanded Universe Thread (ALL) PT, OT, ST, and High Republic Era

#21 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:01 PM

Huh, I'm about 75 pages into JEDI SEARCH and I'm really enjoying it (not sure why I avoided it so long). Anderson has the character voices down without feeling the need to use prior "phrases" from the OT. This is one of my minor issues with Zahn in his early SW books, the need to have Han say stuff like "fly casual" or whatever. So it's a bit refreshing to read a SW EU book this old (meaning before the Prequels broadened the world building ten fold in 1999) and have it be decent.

It's less dense and complex compared to the Thrawn trilogy, but I find that's refreshing. A simple, straightforward story so far.

A couple of things ring falsely in a post-Prequel world (The weird prism windows above the senate floor on Coruscant, the emperor had tech that could find force users by scanning them), but those are easy to adjust to prequel standards (I imagine the Senate exactly as it is in the prequels instead, for example).

But others ring truer than the new Canon explanations. Call me crazy, but Han's 'Kessel Run' in SOLO (though I liked the film) is overwrought with portents, reason, and people...(escaping with Lando, L3, Qi'ra, Beckett) after fostering a rebellion on the surface, and then taking a weird nav-chart route past a giant monster beside the Maw chased by one Star Destroyer....

...but here it's explained so clean and SO very Han Solo. He and Chewie were drug running from Kessel for Jabba, and dumped their load when the Star Destroyers showed up, and in their escape skated too close to the Maw which catapulted them faster through the corridor of space where the glitterstim spice lanes are. Simple.

I like my pre-ANH Han to be a no good smuggler who was all about himself. Making han be somewhat of a hero already in SOLO means I have to reimagine that he's always been a bit of a hero, just a mildly dusty one. It's less interesting, and diminishes his ANH journey.

Anyways, solid book so far. And I found the other two volumes in the trilogy on the weekend (DARK APPRENTICE, and CHAMPIONS OF THE FORCE), so I'll probably just read all three one after the other and bang out the trilogy in one go.

Also, I just learned that DARK EMPIRE (where Luke goes bad for a while and serves a resurrected Emperor) WASN'T an Alt-reality comic? It's EU main canon? Luke talks about it in JEDI SEARCH. I think I need to find that now and read it. I'll wait for the next Comixology sale on SW stuff.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 11 June 2018 - 01:07 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#22 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 June 2018 - 05:51 PM

View PostI am the Bachelorette, on 11 June 2018 - 04:28 PM, said:

The Palps lives again stuff was bonkers to take in when I read this book. I’ve still never read the comics. Palps clones are mentioned a handful of times throughout the EU.

Interesting.

Sidebar: I also grabbed A.C. Crispin's Han Solo series to read, which I hear is phenomenal.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#23 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:54 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 11 June 2018 - 05:51 PM, said:

View PostI am the Bachelorette, on 11 June 2018 - 04:28 PM, said:

The Palps lives again stuff was bonkers to take in when I read this book. I’ve still never read the comics. Palps clones are mentioned a handful of times throughout the EU.

Interesting.

Sidebar: I also grabbed A.C. Crispin's Han Solo series to read, which I hear is phenomenal.

Again I was young when I read these, but these were my favorite Star Wars books. Though IIRC Han was rather heroic in them which may not be what you want.

#24 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:05 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 11 June 2018 - 05:51 PM, said:

I also grabbed A.C. Crispin's Han Solo series to read, which I hear is phenomenal.

You might as well pick up Brian Daley's Han Solo Adventures (usually found in omnibus form, nowadays) since I believe it falls between books 2-3 of Crispin's trilogy, and gets a throwaway line about his "adventures in the Corporate Sector" or whatever.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#25 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 June 2018 - 03:23 PM

Finished JEDI SEARCH. Solid read. It's nothing overwhelmingly complex, but it takes three or four decent storylines and weaves them together well. I'd never read the introduction of Kyp Durron before, so that was cool. Jazzed to read the next one, but I've decided to take a quick break to plow through Butcher's BRIEF CASES and then I'll get back to it.

#26 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 January 2021 - 03:42 PM

So as noted in the other thread, I'm reading the very first High Republic Era book in the Disney Canon SW expanded universe, STAR WARS - THE HIGH REPUBLIC: THE LIGHT OF THE JEDI by Charles Soule.

It's REALLY REALLY good. I mean, I liked Soule as an author already, as his comics in the SW universe have been the best thing Disney has put out since the purchase by a long stretch, but I'm glad to see in prose books he's just as good if not better!

Non-spoiler thoughts. WHO KNEW that an almost completely unrelated to existing stories Star Wars would be THIS refreshing? I mean, the only connective tissue aside from the broad strokes of Jedi, Lightsabers, Coruscant, ect. is Yoda (200 years younger than he was in the Prequels and not the leader of the Jedi)...everything else is new, including ships, outfits, and everything else. You know, I love the old EU, and I tolerate some of the ST EU...but this...this is something special. This is the MCU plan for Star Wars under Disney. This is what they should have done all along. There is nothing to tread on that exists, nothing that feels like diminishing returns and nothing that is leading to anything we KNOW about soon in any way. Yes, we know eventually the Republic falls to the Sith...but that's centuries away at this point.

The ships are fucking COOL AS SHIT:

The Jedi Vector
Attached File  HR-JediVector.jpg (130.88K)
Number of downloads: 0

The Republic Longbeam
Attached File  HR-RepublicLongbeam.jpg (62.85K)

The Legacy Run (this is a ship that starts the events in the disaster in Part 1) It's a passenger ship mostly.
Attached File  HR-LegacyRun.jpg (111.45K)

The Nihil Tempest Runner
Attached File  HR-NihilTempestRunner.jpg (198.26K)

The Nihil Stormship
Attached File  HR-NihilStormship.jpg (143.74K)

The Starlight Beacon (another part of the kickoff events, its a Jedi/Republic outpost station meant to help unite the Outer and Mid Rim worlds with the Core.
Attached File  HR-StarlightBeacon.jpg (324.34K)

The villains, The Nihil, are marauding space vikings. I THINK I heard that the Sith are around during this period, but in deep hiding because they know they are nowhere near powerful enough to take on the Republic or the Jedi.

Basically the character are all super cool and even in the first part have their own personalities, and the Jedi especially have a level of force use we don't even see in the prequels...like the leader Avar Kriss, she uses a sort of force music, plucking at universal force strings to manage incredible feats.

It's still Padawan, Knight, Master, but the structure seems looser and less strict than the latter incarnation.

Mostly what I've noticed so far is that the book is WELL written. It's compelling, and paced at an insane level and I'm itching to read it when I'm not reading it.

Again, I'm only just through about 25% of it, but I'm LOVING it. This is easily (EASILY) the best book Disney has commissioned in their new canon, and the High Republic is EXACTLY what they needed to make this their own IP and succeed like the MCU.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 06 January 2021 - 03:45 PM

#27 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 06 January 2021 - 06:03 PM

The Longbeam and the Legacy Run both look AWESOME!

The rest are kinda "meh" while the Vector looks a bit dumb, and flimsy.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#28 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 January 2021 - 07:08 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 06 January 2021 - 06:03 PM, said:

The Longbeam and the Legacy Run both look AWESOME!

The rest are kinda "meh" while the Vector looks a bit dumb, and flimsy.

So the Vector is explained in the text as a light, almost glider-like craft with no weapons or extra accoutrement because the Jedi are the Jedi and don't need weapons. I think it's also meant to indicate the peace across the galaxy and the reverence for the Jedi is total and as such, why would the Jedi need weapons in space.

#29 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 January 2021 - 03:19 PM

I think one of the things I'm MOST impressed with as far as the High Republic rollout is the attention to art and representation. In the old EU and even in the ST EU a LOT of things were described but you could not find official art of them (people, places, ships ect)....but Disney has gone ALL IN with the High Republic and have had artists draw SO much. It provides an unbelievable touchstone for visualizing the world, which I feel is invaluable. A lot of time with the old EU, you'd be stuck with fan art which might be good, or might be terrible.

So I though I'd list/show some of the characters in this book and era and give a little blurb about them for people. Cause I LURVE them so far!

Avar Kriss (she's one of the main character Jedi's, a Knight, and has a mastery over the force at an insane level and sees it like notes and music; she's bright, by the book, and noble)
Attached File  avar-kriss.jpg (405.11K)

Loden Greatstorm (cool ass name...he's a Twi'lek, and a really genial and warm master Jedi, and he's also a badass)
Attached File  loden-greatstorm.jpg (120.88K)

Stellan Gios (I've only heard him mentioned so far, but he's a compatriot with Avar from her class when she first joined the Order. Not sure what his current role is)
Attached File  StellanGios.jpg (116.79K)

Bell Zettifar & Ember (Bell is awesome. SUPER relatable, and earnest. He's Loden Greatstorm's Padawan and that is his pet Charhound Ember from the Jedi Outpost they are on; so far he's my favourite character; he's trying to get to the trials to be a Knight)
Attached File  BellZettifar.png (1.26MB)

Reath Silas (I know next to nothing about this dude as he's not been properly introduced beyond having flown a Vector in the rescue the Jedi enact in the first part of the book)
Attached File  ReathSilas.jpeg (96.83K)

Lula Talisola (again, I have not been introduced to her yet)
Attached File  LulaTalisola.jpg (134.26K)

Burryaga (obviously he's a Wookie, and he's a young Padawan to another Jedi in the opening section, and his connection to the force allows him a HIGH sensitivity to emotions and he's the one who makes a big discovery in that opening disaster...but I have not seen him since)
Attached File  burryaga2.jpg (93.96K)

Kreeve Trennis (So haven't been introduced to her yet, BUT I THINK she ends up as Padawan to Avar later on? I like her double-bladed green saber)
Attached File  KreeveTrennis.jpg (95.24K)

Sskeer (A Trandoshan Jedi. I mean, holy hell 'nuff said right? This guy has only shown up twice so far in the book but he's a certified badass)
Attached File  sskeer.jpg (127.39K)

Vernestra "Vern" Rwoh (a Padawan that I've not been introduced to yet, but I know she's a big character later on)
Attached File  VernestraRwoh.jpg (103.71K)

Yoda (this is what Yoda looked like 200 years before TPM, gold/white robes and everything; I've not seen Yoda yet, but he is mentioned as mentoring young Jedi somewhere and not at the Temple on Coruscant, but is already a Master and already considered "wise" by the other Jedi)
Attached File  Yoda.jpg (98.8K)

Other things I've noticed so far:

The darker, hooded robes that became ubiquitous in the Prequel era? Not really a thing in the High Republic and when they are seen it's noted that it's an old style that the Jedi no longer use. Seems like the Prequel Jedi went back to an ancient outfit with them. This isn't to say that the HR Jedi don't use robes, they do, but they are usually white, or cream with gold trims. It's more "regal" than "monk"...if that makes sense.

Oh, and the Council does exist, but I'm not sure who's on it entirely yet.

And the "Jedi do not form attachments" thing is already a thing at this point, but it's MUCH laxer it would seem. Like any fo the rules I've seen mentioned are not REMOTELY the dogmatic rules of the Prequels. More like Guidelines.

there are also images of the Nihil (vilains), but I'll save that for another post once I know more about them (I've just been introduced to them, but only just).

Oh, and two other bits of info. I'll spoiler this if people don't want to know particulars; but it's just about lightsabers:

Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 08 January 2021 - 04:04 PM

#30 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 08 January 2021 - 11:17 PM

Ate these graphic novels? Where's all the artwork from?
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#31 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 January 2021 - 12:20 AM

View PostTraveller, on 08 January 2021 - 11:17 PM, said:

Ate these graphic novels? Where's all the artwork from?

Disney released a tonne of this art to go along with the whole rollout, there are novels (adult and YA) and comics so far. It’s an attempt to make sure everything is visualized up front. They’ve been releasing this concept art stuff for a while now.

#32 User is offline   Zeto Demerzel 

• Sergeant

Posted 09 January 2021 - 08:41 AM

I've read a fair bit from different eras of the original EU (or Legends or whatever it is called now). I don't really know if any of that is canon and don't have a clue about anything that's come out since the Disney takeover. I stopped reading SW books once I finished the NJO. Didn't dislike it but just needed a break.
I'm happy to take recos but, equally so, could someone list or point me to some info about how or where different series/books sit please?

#33 User is offline   Tavvar 

• Sergeant

Posted 12 January 2021 - 08:42 PM

I'm about halfway through Light of the Jedi on Audible and am enjoying it so far. I think 200 years before TPM is a good place to start. It is far enough away to be different, but close enough for some similarities. So of the old EU Timeline was kinda bizarre for the technological stagnation for millennia. Disney seems to be leaving lots of room to explore changes in the Galaxy (such as maybe not having the Republic be Galaxy spanning basically forever in the old EU).

#34 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 01 February 2021 - 06:48 PM

Has anyone read Thrawn Ascendancy book 1 yet? I'm considering grabbing it on audible, but I'm curious what the timeline is here.

#35 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 01 February 2021 - 10:07 PM

I've read it. It's during the Clone Wars. if you've read the other Thrawn books, remember the one were in flashback he meets Anakin? During that time. There are also references to Outbound Flight.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#36 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 02 February 2021 - 04:34 PM

Thank you Garak. I think I'll give it a shot. It's not quite the timeline I was hoping for, but one I'm still excited for.

#37 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 23 February 2021 - 11:15 PM

View PostBriar King, on 23 February 2021 - 04:58 PM, said:

Ok part 1 was absolutely stellar. This author nailed the Jedi. That’s about the only nice thing I’m going to say him. The book fell apart in parts 2&3. Horrendous pacing issues. Down right silly fucking villains. RIDE THAT STORM..ugh. Was this an adult book cause it sure didn’t seem like one....felt like it was written for grade schoolers. I was throughly unimpressed when all was said and done. 2.5 out of 5.

Which book?

#38 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 24 February 2021 - 06:55 AM

When it comes to the books that came out since Disney took over this is what I've read and enjoyed. These also just happen to fit into the old EU with little to no problem. I've been running on my own headcannon for years. Btw what exactly happens in Light of the Jedi that falls flat for you BK? What does everyone else here who read it think? I'm very on the fence about this book (mostly because my to-read pile is huge and I want to know if I should add it or not).

A New Dawn— a prequel to the Rebels TV series showing how series protagonists Kanan Jarrus and Hera Syndulla met.

Tarkin - follows Tarkin and Vader, battling a rebel cell, five years after the rise of the Empire.These ain't Rebel Alliance rebels, just one of the dozens or more groups that crop up as the Empire does it's thing.

Lords of the Sith - takes place between Revenge of the Sith and Rebels, detailing how Darth Vader and Darth Sidious take action when a rebels on Ryloth think they can kill the Emperor as he's just an old man. It's mostly Vader and Palpatine curb stomping stuff.

Aftermath trilogy (Aftermath, Life Debt, Empire's End) - deals with the situation after Endor. The prose is a bit weird (it's written in present tense instead of past tense) and the story is so-so. Has it's good bits however and the interlude chapters give us a nice look at what else is going on.

Battlefront Twilight Company - despite the tie-in to the Battlefront game, this is good. It's like Star Wars meets Gaunt's Ghosts (more or less) so I loved it.

Catalyst - a prequel tie-in to Rogue One centered around the Erso family, Orson Krennic and the early days of the Death Star project before the reign of the Empire and follows along right up to the point were they run away.

Thrawn - the origin story of Grand Admiral Thrawn and his early career with the Empire. Zahn managed to include his old short story of how Thrawn met the Imperials as the first chapter.

Rebel Rising - a young adult prequel tie-in to Rogue One centered around Jyn Erso during her days as a Partisan.

Inferno Squad - taking place after Rogue One, from the perspective of an Imperial infiltration squad sent to eliminate the remaining Partisans (Saw's extremists basically) from the Galaxy. It was ok, nothing ground breaking but I appreciated the Imperial perspective.

Thrawn Alliances - A sequel to Thrawn, where the Grand Admiral teams up with Darth Vader.

Alphabet Squadron trilogy (Alphabet Squadron, Shadow Fall, Victory's Price) - Set after Endor it follows a ragtag Intelligence unit (flying different ships, thus mockingly called Alphabet Squadron by the regular pilots) trying to hunt down an elite Imperial fighter unit. A slow burner but I enjoyed it, the squadron members are all mentally or emotionally broken people and they do not get along.

Thrawn Treason - the third novel focusing on Thrawn. Thrawn comes to odds with Director Krennic and is forced to make an impossible choice between his loyalty to the Empire, or to his homeworld. Probably has the most OP moment I've ever seen from Thrawn.

Thrawn Ascendancy Chaos Rising - the first installment of a new Ascendancy trilogy providing Thrawn's origin. Also makes it clear that while he's brilliant, when it comes to politics and political BS he's hopeless.

This post has been edited by Garak: 24 February 2021 - 07:01 AM

#39 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 February 2021 - 02:11 PM

View PostGarak, on 24 February 2021 - 06:55 AM, said:

Light of the Jedi ....What does everyone else here who read it think? I'm very on the fence about this book (mostly because my to-read pile is huge and I want to know if I should add it or not).

I loved it. The various Jedi were excellent and each seemed to really have their own personalities and weren't just cardboard cutouts...they seem to be in a much more glory days time than the Prequels...less monkish, more Knights of the Round Table-ish. They do things that I've never seen before, but make INIFNITE sense with regards to how to use and work within the force to accomplish feats. Are the bad guys a bit pedestrian? Space Vikings...sure....but they are mysteriously tied to some people that make me wonder where it's going...and they have a way to make problems that would be difficult to deal with even for Jedi.

It feels like a brand new era where there are many aspects we simply don't know about.

It's also really well written. Charles Soule wrote probably the best comics of the post-Disney era in the VADER series, and he's no slouch in the prose department either.

Just MHO. YMMV.

#40 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor

Posted 24 February 2021 - 04:30 PM

Kueller and Nyax are why I run my own headcannon. So I can ignore them (granted Nyax insists on making a cameo during the NJO but at least it's not much).

I like the idea of the Jedi being a bit different and doing well. With this placement, it basically has the galaxy heal and do well after Darth Bane and that entire period of war and regression. I'll probably give it a read.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users