NHL 2020-2021 Season HE SHOOTS HE SCOOOOOORES

#81 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 May 2018 - 11:52 PM

View PostGintokian, on 04 May 2018 - 07:28 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 04 May 2018 - 07:08 PM, said:

View PostGintokian, on 04 May 2018 - 07:04 PM, said:

He hit Morgan Reilly in the face with a 130km/hr slapper in game 7, he started bleeding all over. I'm amazed he was able to come back the next period, face looked brutal though, sewn/glued up but still bleeding. Man, hockey players can really play through the pain.
Other players have played entire series with broken toes, fingers, torn ACLs, it's pretty crazy.

Yeah man. I would say as far as team sports go, hockey has the toughest/grittiest athletes. Rugby gets a close second. Everyone thinks that NFL is tough, but they have way too many pads and the game today with all the rules is barely one step above flag football, tbh.

I agree. People think the NFL is so tough because of all the concussion controversy, but that's just because they're always running into each other with their heads. In terms of full on toughness I for sure agree hockey is the toughest because unless your bones are snapped and you can't stand, or you have a full concussion, you're coming out to play. How many other sports allow you to full on fist fight repeatedly punching each other in the face until one of you falls down?

Thing is, didn't the league at one point attempt to diminish the fighting? I think it coincided with when Fox Sports bought the rights to air games and implemented that cheesy puck highlight streak technology (boy was that a failure). Anyway, the steadfast and long time fans complained about the reduced fighting. Fox Sports eventually gave up on the NHL and fighting was allowed back in all its glory. That's kind of how I remember it anyway.

About fighting, it really is a strategic option teams can pull from their tactics bag. The uninformed viewer is all "whoo hoo a fight!!", not knowing that the timing and situation the fights pop off is well thought out in advance. It really can swing the advantage to a team if done correctly.

#82 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 05 May 2018 - 06:13 AM

They have moved away from fighting a bit and are trying to tone it down a bit to prevent concussions mostly.
The way hockey's evolving is just going to naturally move away from fighting anyways it seems. Back in the 80s and 90s it was all about having a not, tough team that battles in the corners and hits a lot, thats how they won games and there weren't as many goals. Now it's moving towards more skilled players and is all about speed. Most teams don't have the traditional "goons" as much anymore, just big guys that can hit (and sometimes fight) but can also play good hockey. You do need a guy like that to protect your stars though otherwise other teams will go at them hard.

We don't usually watch on fox here so we never had to deal with the dumb puck shadow,apparently they put it in because a lot of Americans said they could never see the puck when hockey was first getting big there. Glad to hear they got rid of it though.

View PostBriar King, on 05 May 2018 - 03:34 AM, said:

Was that Kathleen Turner dressed up as Elvis???!!!

GK 3-0!

Oh nice! I'm at my friends place and the internets been down for hours now for the waterdown/dundas area, powers out in a lot of places too, so i haven't been able to watch any at all but it lools like Vegas won 5-3.
In the language of flowers corn stands for trust.

#83 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 06 May 2018 - 05:49 PM

NHL tells Brad Marchand to stop licking opponents

Uhhh, is he like a horse or something? Using people like a salt lick because of low sodium in his diet? I don't get it. I guess maybe it's intimidating? Dunno, really. *shrugs

#84 User is offline   Itwæs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 May 2018 - 06:52 PM

Anyone watching the World Championship too?
All things fall from kings to rose petals

#85 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 06 May 2018 - 08:52 PM

View PostItwæs Nom, on 06 May 2018 - 06:52 PM, said:

Anyone watching the World Championship too?

I've seen some highlights (Denmark and someone) but haven't been plugged into what is going on or who has been winning/advancing.

#86 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:33 AM

Ah Shucky Ducky! The New Kinds on the Block (NKotB) keep it going and advance to the Western Conference finals!

Come on my heroes in shining, golden armor! I hope they play the WinnyPig Pets, thus eliminating the last Canadian team and sending those cafucks back to Canada to cry into their slop of maple syrup drenched poutine. JK Canadian friends, don't attack me! peace, kay?Posted Image

And as always, have fun and smile, kay?Posted Image

#87 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:05 AM

View PostBriar King, on 07 May 2018 - 01:35 AM, said:

I like Lightning’s blue home uniforms.

Maybe it ll come down to them v GK in the end?

It's quite possible it would come down to that. It'd be fitting as Tampa was 1st in the league most of the season until near the end.
But they'll have to beat washington or pittsburg first and Vegas will have to beat winnipeg or Nashville. It could still go a couple ways.

Also fuck boston I'm so glad they're out and marchand got a shit talking from the league.

#88 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 07 May 2018 - 01:45 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 07 May 2018 - 05:33 AM, said:

Ah Shucky Ducky! The New Kinds on the Block (NKotB) keep it going and advance to the Western Conference finals!

Come on my heroes in shining, golden armor! I hope they play the WinnyPig Pets, thus eliminating the last Canadian team and sending those cafucks back to Canada to cry into their slop of maple syrup drenched poutine. JK Canadian friends, don't attack me! peace, kay?

And as always, have fun and smile, kay?

Posted Image
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#89 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 08 May 2018 - 12:32 PM

Awww, my historical favs ousted by Washington Capitals. Well, maybe the career long overrated Ovechkin will touch the cup? I doubt it, but still in the chase to get there.

Come on Knights of the golden hue!

#90 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:47 AM

So. Winnipeg at Nashville tonight. Winner advances to face Vegas. What do you hockey pucks think? Who advances? Seems as Nashville as a leg up with playing on their home ice. Home advantage doesn't seem to be as significant in hockey as it does in other sports. But I dunno man, Nashville fans are pretty fervent fans. I'm going with Nashville to advance.

#91 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:37 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 10 May 2018 - 07:47 AM, said:

So. Winnipeg at Nashville tonight. Winner advances to face Vegas. What do you hockey pucks think? Who advances? Seems as Nashville as a leg up with playing on their home ice. Home advantage doesn't seem to be as significant in hockey as it does in other sports. But I dunno man, Nashville fans are pretty fervent fans. I'm going with Nashville to advance.

Playing at home still does give an advantage, not necessarily guaranteeing you win but it does help, being able to sleep at home and get a better practice time. It's a really close series, both teams are pretty evenly matched. I'm rooting for Winnipeg but I wouldn't be too upset if Nashville won, they were so bad for so many years it's nice to see them doing well.

#92 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:34 PM

View PostGintokian, on 10 May 2018 - 11:37 AM, said:

Playing at home still does give an advantage, not necessarily guaranteeing you win but it does help, being able to sleep at home and get a better practice time. It's a really close series, both teams are pretty evenly matched. I'm rooting for Winnipeg but I wouldn't be too upset if Nashville won, they were so bad for so many years it's nice to see them doing well.

LOL. I had to find Winnipeg on Google Maps. Had no idea where it was. Damn, it's above North Dakota. The winters must suck there.

#93 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:43 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 10 May 2018 - 04:34 PM, said:

LOL. I had to find Winnipeg on Google Maps. Had no idea where it was. Damn, it's above North Dakota. The winters must suck there.

That's nothing. You should see the mosquitoes.

...right before they close in and leave you nothing but a dry bloodless husk....
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#94 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 10 May 2018 - 05:06 PM

View PostAbyss, on 10 May 2018 - 04:43 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 10 May 2018 - 04:34 PM, said:

That's nothing. You should see the mosquitoes.

...right before they close in and leave you nothing but a dry bloodless husk....

#95 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 10 May 2018 - 05:35 PM

I really enjoyed that. It hit me in the feels and melancholy and a little bit of introspection washed over me.

I did some searching on the Jets. Did you guys know that the Arizona Coyotes used to be in Winnipeg? Wow, from Winnipeg to Phoenix must have been a huge climate adjustment for the team. Also, I never could nail down why they are called the Jets. There's not a major airline hub there or anything, right?

#96 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 10 May 2018 - 05:52 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 10 May 2018 - 05:35 PM, said:

I really enjoyed that. It hit me in the feels and melancholy and a little bit of introspection washed over me.

I did some searching on the Jets. Did you guys know that the Arizona Coyotes used to be in Winnipeg? Wow, from Winnipeg to Phoenix must have been a huge climate adjustment for the team. Also, I never could nail down why they are called the Jets. There's not a major airline hub there or anything, right?

I googled it and found this.

The name was simply carried forward from the Western Canada Hockey League's Winnipeg Jets, a junior team, and also owned by Jets founder Ben Hatskin. Hatskin had been an admirer of the New York Jets, so he decided to use their moniker for his hockey teams.

No idea if this is true or not just some random guys website dedicated to the Jets so who knows. Not very original if true.

This post has been edited by Gintokian: 10 May 2018 - 05:52 PM

#97 User is offline   Itwæs Nom 

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:53 PM

World Championship talk:

Czech just beat Russians in the overtime, only a group match yet, but this came unexpected

Their score after 4 or so matches and before today's one had been 20-0

Our team hadn't been playing very well so far, Swiss almost beat us yesterday (they played better than us imo, also there were atleast like 6 penalties for high sticking in that match in addition to another atleast 10 different ones)

Russians scored their first goal about 1 minute into the match.

But their further play seemed to match our play so far, so in the end we still didn't play very well but neither did the 20-0 team

Our overtime winning goal was scored from aside the net behind the level of goal line by bouncing from a Russians skate, I loved that

#98 User is offline   Itwæs Nom 

Posted 11 May 2018 - 07:44 AM

View PostBriar King, on 11 May 2018 - 02:38 AM, said:

What’s the deal with empty net thing? Is it some kind of penalty? Seen it a few times but I don’t think they ever say why.

What do you mean?

#99 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 11 May 2018 - 10:42 AM

View PostBriar King, on 11 May 2018 - 02:38 AM, said:

What’s the deal with empty net thing? Is it some kind of penalty? Seen it a few times but I don’t think they ever say why.

If you're talking about near the end of the game what happens is the team is allowed 6 players on the ice, usually 3 forwards, 2 defenceman, and 1 goalie. If a team is losing near the end they can pull the goalie and get an extra forwards so they have 6 attackers instead of 5 to try and score. It gives a pretty good advantage but theres always the risk the other team will get an open net goal if they can get the puck out of their own zone.

Oh also when the opposing team gets a penalty the play isn't whistled down until they touch the puck so if you still have possession you can pull your goalie and have another player come on since there is no chance the other team will score since when they touch the puck play stops.

This post has been edited by Gintokian: 11 May 2018 - 10:48 AM

#100 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 11 May 2018 - 10:44 AM

Also the Jets absolutely spanked Nashville last night and are moving on! Nice to see at least one Canadian team surviving.

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users