Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Conversation in prologue

#1 User is offline   book_fanatic 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:08 AM

In prologue, when two bridge-burners are conversing. It is said that sorcerer's are panicking and losing control "down there". It is also said that "They are all new, untested. This could scar some of them for ever". Still it is said that "Hardly the need for a whole cadre of mages, just to sniff out a few wax-witches". Isn't first two sentences contradictory to the third one? Moreover, as is mentioned bridge-burners are elite. Wouldn't it make more sense that bridge-burners have properly trained personnel?

Attached File  Screenshot (590).png (81.11K)
Number of downloads: 0

#2 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:23 AM

Not really.

It could be a whole new cadre down there.

Also with regards to your last point, it doesn't mention that it is a cadre of Bridgeburner mages.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#3 User is offline   book_fanatic 

• Recruit

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:31 AM

View Postchamp, on 21 March 2018 - 09:23 AM, said:

Not really.

It could be a whole new cadre down there.

Also with regards to your last point, it doesn't mention that it is a cadre of Bridgeburner mages.

Attached File  Screenshot (591).png (78.96K)
Number of downloads: 0

But according to this conversation, I think the cadre belonged to Bridge-burners.

#4 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:46 AM

He is a Commander.

He commands many Divisions/Units other than the Bridgeburners.

Try not to get too caught up in it.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#5 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 March 2018 - 12:42 PM

Also remember, the timeline is not important.

And these events will be clarified in later books and you can retrofit the events then to make more sense of who and what is going on

#6 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 26 March 2018 - 02:13 PM

The commander in question is the commander of the 2nd army. He came up through the bridgeburners, who were an elite division within it, but he also commanded other divisions, including the mage cadre.

As for the statements being contradictory, not really. Imagine you had a bunch of untested soldiers with access to heavy artillery being assigned to sweep an area of light resistance. And in the first sign of resistance they overreact and basically flatten the whole neighbourhood. It is like that. The allegation is not that the mage cadre are unable to deal with the threat, it is they are panicking and overusing their powers to deal with a relatively small threat.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#7 User is offline   book_fanatic 

• Recruit

Posted 29 March 2018 - 06:03 AM

View Postchamp, on 21 March 2018 - 10:46 AM, said:

He is a Commander.

He commands many Divisions/Units other than the Bridgeburners.

Try not to get too caught up in it.

View PostMacros, on 26 March 2018 - 12:42 PM, said:

Also remember, the timeline is not important.

And these events will be clarified in later books and you can retrofit the events then to make more sense of who and what is going on

View PostNevyn, on 26 March 2018 - 02:13 PM, said:

The commander in question is the commander of the 2nd army. He came up through the bridgeburners, who were an elite division within it, but he also commanded other divisions, including the mage cadre.

As for the statements being contradictory, not really. Imagine you had a bunch of untested soldiers with access to heavy artillery being assigned to sweep an area of light resistance. And in the first sign of resistance they overreact and basically flatten the whole neighbourhood. It is like that. The allegation is not that the mage cadre are unable to deal with the threat, it is they are panicking and overusing their powers to deal with a relatively small threat.

Thanks. Looked like a silly question...

#8 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 29 March 2018 - 08:21 AM

View Postbook_fanatic, on 29 March 2018 - 06:03 AM, said:

Thanks. Looked like a silly question...

Nah, it's just that there is a lot of subtext and deliberate withholding of information, which means that it will be nigh on impossible to distill any real conclusions from the prologue upon a first read. The event is just meant to set the scene, to plant some seeds. It mainly tries to convey to you as a first-time reader that you are dropped in a military setting, in an empire where a shift in momentum and power is under way, and that there is sorcery in this world which is accepted and widespread although apparently the current rulers are trying to control it, or repress it where they cannot. No need at this point to try and second-guess things or figure out all the intricacies, just absorb the general vibe and you'll be fine.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users