Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mallick and Korbolo

#1 User is offline   fievelgoespostal 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:21 PM

This has been bothering me since I started and finished this book a few weeks ago. And actually longer than that...probably since I read Bonehunters a couple years back.

Can someone explain to me HTF Mallick and Korbolo wormed their way out of a death sentence? The Wikia page gives somewhat of a believable story on this, but these guys stoked and led a rebellion through pure treachery and all of a sudden they are the most powerful people beneath Laseen. IIRC in Bonehunters when Kalam, Tavore and T'amber meet with Laseen, Kalam seems to believe that Laseen is genuinely afraid and he insinuates that she is almost being held hostage. Fast forward to this book and Laseen doesnt seem to think either of these two to be much of a threat to her. It just doesnt seem to jive with what Kalam implied.

I understand Laseen was lenient with Urko, Ullen, etc towards the end of RotCG, but it felt different because these guys werent being treacherous or power hungry. I just have a hard to fathoming Mallick and Korbolo getting handed over to Laseen and then poof! its like nothing ever happened.

This post has been edited by fievelgoespostal: 05 March 2018 - 10:22 PM

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:38 PM

Mallick has control of the Claw.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:40 PM

And popularity with the people (as a man wronged) he captured through a propaganda campaign against the Wickans.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:41 PM

I would not say she doesn't view Mallick as much of a threat. I would say she doesn't take Dom seriously but then neither does really anyone including Mallick. Also remember that the claw were a big part of the threat to her when she talked to Kalam, but there were a lot fewer claw by the end of that book.

How did they live? Who told the story? Most of the armies died, or went with Tavore. Duiker was resurrected but went to Seven Cities, and of the civilians saved it would mainly be the nobles who resented Coltaine the whole way who had something to say. Regardless of what Laseen believed, the people who mattered bought Mallick's version. And once you publicly accept that version you are stuck with it.

One would suppose that normally she'd have the claw dispose of the problem, but not only was the claw part of her problem, but Mallick also by rotcg had allies protecting him from assasins anyway.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#5 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:06 PM

View PostNevyn, on 05 March 2018 - 10:41 PM, said:

How did they live? Who told the story? Most of the armies died, or went with Tavore. Duiker was resurrected but went to Seven Cities, and of the civilians saved it would mainly be the nobles who resented Coltaine the whole way who had something to say. Regardless of what Laseen believed, the people who mattered bought Mallick's version. And once you publicly accept that version you are stuck with it.

I disagree with Nevyn on Laseen's role in this.

Laseen wanted the wickan lands because of the drought/famine or whatever and she decided a hero like Coltaine would be an impediment to this. So she played an active role is disparaging Coltaine and out of necessity ended up making Mallick/Dom into the heroes, since you can't have two villains and no hero in a good propaganda story.

#6 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:28 PM

View Postworry, on 05 March 2018 - 10:38 PM, said:

Sort of.

He used Laseen's Claw in that he set up the other members of the Assembly so the Claw would bust them without them knowing he'd set them up....and he had his OWN parallel Claw who reported only to him Via Taya.

He did not have control of Laseen's Claw forces under Possum.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:49 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 March 2018 - 06:28 PM, said:

Sort of.

He used Laseen's Claw in that he set up the other members of the Assembly so the Claw would bust them without them knowing he'd set them up....and he had his OWN parallel Claw who reported only to him Via Taya.

I think Worry is referring more to the timing of The Bonehunters than ROTCG.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#8 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:51 PM

View PostNevyn, on 06 March 2018 - 06:49 PM, said:

Sort of.

I think Worry is referring more to the timing of The Bonehunters than ROTCG.

That doesn't matter. Mallick doesn't have control of Laseen's Claws ever.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#9 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:44 PM

Sort of.

I don't think Taya was part of the claw. she was just his Ace in the hole, separate from anything to do with Laseen.

#10 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:53 PM

View Postnacht, on 06 March 2018 - 07:44 PM, said:

Sort of.

I don't think Taya was part of the claw. she was just his Ace in the hole, separate from anything to do with Laseen.

She was his link with HIS parallel Claw, not hers.

#11 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:03 PM

Amazing how all this blurs between reads.

Taya wasn't a link to any claw, she was working alone on a side deal with Mallick to get a shot at Laseen.

Coil was an actual claw who reported to Mallick (going around Possum), and in their conversations it sounds like most of the claw have been perverted and are loyal to him, not Laseen. They refer to Possum still being loyal to her, and maybe some others, but it sounds clear those are the exception not the rule.

And in Bonehunters, Laseen offers Kalam clawmaster knowing (and hinting she is down with) he would kill Mallick and Korbolo. But if Mallick had no claw presence at that point, she could have any clawmaster do that. Which would seem to indicate she is already concerned about loyalties within her claw then.

#12 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:21 PM

I mixed up Coil and Taya.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users