Malazan Empire: Two things I find that are lacking logic in MoI - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Two things I find that are lacking logic in MoI Attack on Coral and power comparison of some races

#21 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:25 PM

One thing I don't get, logic-wise, is that apparently there are characters in this book who take metals from the earth, heat them up and combine them, and then shape them into large, heavy, extremely sharp chunks of metal. And then other characters take these chunks -- knowing how large and sharp they are, mind you -- and thrust them at each other, causing injury, dismemberment, and even death. It's some of the most bizarre behavior I have ever heard of.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#22 User is offline   Haplo 

• Recruit

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:31 AM

View Postworry, on 08 February 2018 - 08:25 PM, said:

One thing I don't get, logic-wise, is that apparently there are characters in this book who take metals from the earth, heat them up and combine them, and then shape them into large, heavy, extremely sharp chunks of metal. And then other characters take these chunks -- knowing how large and sharp they are, mind you -- and thrust them at each other, causing injury, dismemberment, and even death. It's some of the most bizarre behavior I have ever heard of.

I know what you mean. If only this concept had any similarity with real world.

#23 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:09 PM

I think it's called robot wars.

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#24 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 February 2018 - 08:27 PM

It's a hell of a thing.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#25 User is offline   Babblezen 

• Recruit

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:03 PM

View PostItwæs Nom, on 06 February 2018 - 05:51 PM, said:

Regarding Brood's hammer, I think another reason for staying his hand was the attention that it would draw from other ascendants. Particularly from those aligned with the Crippled God and the opportunistic ones. Like we're often reminded in the books, power draws power and the power of Brood's hammer is immense even among ascendants, so using it against CG's allies would warrant response potentially even more powerful and CG would be entitled to it because hey, Brood started it. Then there's all the ascendants who would be drawn there because of the opportunities to gain more power or influence either by helping one side or the other, or even when staying independent of the 2 main sides of the conflict or even by some sort of scavenging. And the more power is drawn the stronger the magnetic field it generates drawing in more and more and what you're left with is a massive convergence with potential to leave Burn helpless AND destroy all life, or leave survivors at the mercy of CG or some other outcome that would be worse for Brood than awakening Burn.

When it comes down to it, Brood's hammer isn't a weapon. The results are cataclysmic when it's unveiled but that doesn't make it a weapon. It's a gambit of compassion by a Goddess to help preserve the world and she entrusted it to Brood for a very specific reason. However, he has been carrying this responsibility for over a thousand years. Each moment that passes by is another breath closer to the death of Burn and the world. Breaking the Crippled God's chains and freeing him from Burn's flesh would see CG and chaos unleashed upon civilization.That's what makes Kruppe's actions in antagonizing Brood so masterful. Brood has been completely alone in carrying the hammer. He's sought a third path the entire time while the clock runs out. Now after years of conflict with an expansionist empire that was doomed to failure only to be followed by Seer's rise to power wielding Chaos and suffering, things are beginning to look bleak. Kruppe backed up his claim that he could protect them from the Crippled God when he deflected Brood's anger. For the first time in a millennia Brood is granted a reprieve when all seems lost. Too, he brought Brood down a notch and woke him from the pressures suffocating him. I think this was a way for K'rul to show Brood that Burn's plight wasn't only carried with him and that allies were gathering. K'rul, if anything, is the Maker of Ways.

I wonder if a chain was loosened or broken, enough so to ease CG's presence on Burn's flesh and allowing him the material agency to fashion his own House/Warren. To me, that seems a victory for K'rul and Kruppe.

This post has been edited by Babblezen: 14 February 2018 - 09:13 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users