• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Kingdom Come Deliverance Ye olde rpg

#21 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:56 AM

I think it's more than a little disingenuous to claim it's being ripped apart for small details.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#22 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:29 PM

Warhorse have a publishing deal with Deep Silver all (who were apparently just bought out by THQ Nordic, huh), so they aren't "pure indie" anymore.

Oddly enough, I don't have my copy on Steam yet. I'm suspecting this might be cuz I (probably) at some point made a preference choice for a GOG version, and those don't come out till the 27th.

If I don't get it by then, I'll have to investigate with their support.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#23 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:34 PM

About quests or missions, is there one where you come upon good King Wenceslas looking out on the Feast of Stephen? When the snow lay round about, deep, and crisp, and even? Where the moon is shining brightly at night, though the frost was cruel, when a poor man comes in site gathering winter fuel?

#24 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:00 PM

Wrong Webceslas (Waclaw). This is the IVth one, I think- the weak dumb one who ended up dying from a stroke after the first Defenestration of Prague started the Hussite Wars

#25 User is offline   Hocknose 

• High Fist

Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:13 AM

Played the first few hours and got to the proper begining of the game...got to say its grown on me quite a bit. At first I though it was very fiddly and I wasn't prepared for the amount of actual simulation in the game (eating, sleeping etc...) but now I actually quite like it...I guess its about mindset.

I dont find the combat all that difficuly actually, I've managed to take out 4 bandits (1v1) without too much difficulty.

Performance has been fine but I do have a very high end PC (1080ti, 7700k CPU. 16gb RAM). I play at 1440p and at the highest setting I'm averaging about 70fps even in towns, there are the occasional dips to aboout 45-50 but thats fine, I can live with that.

The main character is actually quite endearing...but it is early days.

So far pretty pleased with it

#26 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 15 February 2018 - 12:48 PM

I've learned how to lockpick - fiddly at first but makes sense... left stick rotates lock, while right holds pick in
place.

So I've robbed some boxes, got a bow and arrows, and left the castle on my horse disguised as one of the guards. Got to find someone to buy the heavier weapons I've pinched, and get a bath.

I quite like Henry so far, and the conversation choices and script flow well. I've not found them boring devices for quests, either - a late visit from the Lady in the castle lead to a swapping of tales which gave a bit of history to the characters.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#27 User is offline   Hocknose 

• High Fist

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:58 AM

little bit of advice...do as much training as you can with Captain Banard in Rattay. He teaches you some really important combat techniques that make the combat so much better. The riposte move is very good...

#28 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:53 PM

Posted Image

#29 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:56 PM

View PostThe Swampfather, on 16 February 2018 - 05:31 PM, said:

What’s the GB? :killingme:

I’m thinking about it but Monster Hunter is still getting my attention for the moment. Not sure how long that will last

For the PC version, Steam sez 40 gigs

#30 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 17 February 2018 - 08:41 AM

View PostHocknose, on 16 February 2018 - 09:58 AM, said:

little bit of advice...do as much training as you can with Captain Banard in Rattay. He teaches you some really important combat techniques that make the combat so much better. The riposte move is very good...

Thanks, I've got that option available, but at the moment I'm running stealth missions for the millars to up my stealth skills.
Even the first lockpicking perk makes locks way easier. Although it looks like the next patch will make it easier still as some people have whined about it being too hard. I quite like the fact that there is a noticeable improvement with practice and the perk. So far I've made a bit of money to pay off debt, learned to pickpocket, got a chestful of stolen goods and a fence to take it off my hands.

BK I haven't had any trouble with the ps4 version, although the xbone one is apparently having problems getting patches approved by Microsoft, however that works.

So much in this game already, and I'm only in Ratay. (The perks/skill list is awesome) Got a mission to steal from the guardhouse now; and I think I'll have a night mission into town to see what else I can get before progressing to the next main quest.

Not having quicksave is actually a good thing in this game, as it makes you more careful, and makes you plan your day/night activities in advance. Eating at the right times has become a natural part of the game, as is the occasional wash as you pass a tub outside certain buildings.
Been to the baths once to clean clothes once they were really mucky - and while I was there I robbed a couple of chests, as I had the key I'd pickpocketed the night before from the owner.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 17 February 2018 - 08:46 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#31 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:13 PM

So, 27th has come and gone, and I still don't have a game code, which is somewhat disappointing.

My guess is this weekend I'll need to go on Kickstarter and try to deal with Warhorse's customer support.

I had one unfortunate experience like that before where a game came out and I didn't get my copy (Lords of Xulima), but yeah. I'll néed to investigate this.

-EDIT: I did end up getting a shiny Deluxe edition of Lords of Xulima on GOG, but the code got lost in my gmail inbox.

Still no word from warhorse though.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 05 March 2018 - 11:58 PM

#32 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:16 PM

Has the developer provided any communications about fixing any of the bugs/gliches in this game? Most of the reviews I have read about this game were positive relative ambition of the game and the story but the intolerable bugginess had the final scoring of the title drop down such that I am uncomfortable paying $60 USD. If they were to patch a lot of the issues, I would be more inclined to pull the trigger and purchase this, as it seems like it is a very engrossing game.

#33 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:24 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 05 March 2018 - 11:16 PM, said:

Has the developer provided any communications about fixing any of the bugs/gliches in this game? Most of the reviews I have read about this game were positive relative ambition of the game and the story but the intolerable bugginess had the final scoring of the title drop down such that I am uncomfortable paying $60 USD. If they were to patch a lot of the issues, I would be more inclined to pull the trigger and purchase this, as it seems like it is a very engrossing game.

Thats one of the reasons i'm waiting. Besides not wanting to drop 60, i'm patient enough to wait until all the kinks are worked out and i wont get pissed and throw my controller.

My patience is a finicky thing.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#34 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:16 AM

View PostSlow Ben, on 05 March 2018 - 11:24 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 05 March 2018 - 11:16 PM, said:

Thats one of the reasons i'm waiting. Besides not wanting to drop 60, i'm patient enough to wait until all the kinks are worked out and i wont get pissed and throw my controller.

My patience is a finicky thing.

Yeah, I mean, I can deal with minor bugs but this one is supposed to have some doozies. One of the major complaints has been saving progress and how the bugs in conjunction with that have lead to major headaches in trying to enjoy the game. Hopefully they get that patched.

#35 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:47 AM

View PostMentalist, on 13 February 2018 - 06:16 PM, said:

We are talking about an area that's what? 10 (edit: actually, four) square clicks in rural Bohemia. Emphasis on "rural"-there's no big cosmopolitan cities as far as I recall.

So yeah, I'd say it's entirely possible for a person not to think there'd be any " colored" people living in that area (basically a middle of nowhere). And when they are told this is their "failing", I can imagine a ridiculous response to answer that " accusation". Because majority of people in Eastern Europe wouldn't be thinking in terms of "we have to demonstrate inclusivity in everything we do" .

Anyway, I think we should wait for someone here to play it before criticizing further, :(

I got the game day 1 but have not played it yet (finishing Horizon first), as I was pretty intrigued to see how it would depict the 15th century.

From what I have read since, the problematic identity politics of the game may lie less in the (lack of) diversity argument, and more in its depiction of nationality/ethnicity, with anyone who is non-Czech basically being evil, particularly when it comes to the Cumans, but also Germans and Hungarians. Now, while it might be true to say that in this period there was certainly a lot more division and hate based on 'national' lines rather than racial ones, there is a difference between perceiving someone as terrible because of your different backgrounds and because you've been raised to believe that, and them actually in reality all being terrible. Warhorse seem to have leaned toward the latter (i.e. all Czechs good, all non-Czechs ranging from immoral to evil), rather than exploring the far more nuanced former. In this, they appear to have depicted the 15th century through a heavily-nationalistic lens, which is problematic both as an exploration of history and as a reflection of modern-day political use of that history.

That's what I've read, anyway. As I said, need to play the game still to find out for myself.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#36 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:58 AM

View PostKhellendros, on 07 March 2018 - 09:47 AM, said:

View PostMentalist, on 13 February 2018 - 06:16 PM, said:

We are talking about an area that's what? 10 (edit: actually, four) square clicks in rural Bohemia. Emphasis on "rural"-there's no big cosmopolitan cities as far as I recall.

So yeah, I'd say it's entirely possible for a person not to think there'd be any " colored" people living in that area (basically a middle of nowhere). And when they are told this is their "failing", I can imagine a ridiculous response to answer that " accusation". Because majority of people in Eastern Europe wouldn't be thinking in terms of "we have to demonstrate inclusivity in everything we do" .

Anyway, I think we should wait for someone here to play it before criticizing further, :(

I got the game day 1 but have not played it yet (finishing Horizon first), as I was pretty intrigued to see how it would depict the 15th century.

From what I have read since, the problematic identity politics of the game may lie less in the (lack of) diversity argument, and more in its depiction of nationality/ethnicity, with anyone who is non-Czech basically being evil, particularly when it comes to the Cumans, but also Germans and Hungarians. Now, while it might be true to say that in this period there was certainly a lot more division and hate based on 'national' lines rather than racial ones, there is a difference between perceiving someone as terrible because of your different backgrounds and because you've been raised to believe that, and them actually in reality all being terrible. Warhorse seem to have leaned toward the latter (i.e. all Czechs good, all non-Czechs ranging from immoral to evil), rather than exploring the far more nuanced former. In this, they appear to have depicted the 15th century through a heavily-nationalistic lens, which is problematic both as an exploration of history and as a reflection of modern-day political use of that history.

That's what I've read, anyway. As I said, need to play the game still to find out for myself.

This is an interesting point. Not being invested or informed on the rest of the debate, I think it's probably worth reiterating that there is a huge difference, even in a period piece, between portraying a character (even the main character) as having certain opinions and prejudices, and your narrative having those opinions and prejudices. It is the difference between having a game that is racist, and game having characters that are racist. And it can be difficult to write the latter with any sort of emotional impact, especially if your protagonist is the one invested in a certain worldview, without sliding into the former - but it's something that modern works should really be aspiring to, and it can be as simple as having other characters who contradict the protagonist's narrative, or who are forced to play into the protagonist's narrative by what are clearly outside forces (e.g. to take a fantasy example, learning that the "invading murderous Orcs" are actually just fleeing in panic from a bigger threat and were assaulted on their first entrance to the human kingdom). Ultimately it leads to a more realistic-feeling world.

Of course, there's a difference between not thinking about things in those terms, and getting called out for it without blowing things out of proportion, and getting dragged through the mud for an honest mistake. But that's why reactions are important. It's the difference between Ubisoft claiming that making female playable characters would have taken "twice the effort", and getting rightfully ridiculed for it, even years later(AC: Unity), as opposed to them going "oh, we didn't think of that/it was our mistake" and them getting some temporary upset that is nowhere near as severe and doesn't last at all.
From the sounds of things, these devs chose the less reassuring option of doubling-down on their position, which is unfortunate.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#37 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:53 AM

In fairness, Germans are pretty evil. Chancellor D'rek, anyone? Might as well be Tanya Deguracheff.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#38 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:12 AM

Went into town to sell all the stuff I'd collected, stolen or found during the last few days. Realised I still couldn't read, so planned a trip north to see a scribe in Uzhitz. Before I went I took the Millers daughter for a walk down the river - she said we should meet again in two days.

So I head north, reach Uzhitz, then after visiting the scribe and learning to read basic text (all writing is illegible otherwise) I end up spending the evening getting drunk with the local priest and some girls from the tavern, getting thrown out, having a fight in the street, and getting to see the priest vomit off the top of the church tower. Then, as he's still drunk, I ended up taking mass for him for the village while still reeling about with a hangover.

Then I remember the date with the Miller's daughter - so I fast travel back (its not that fast - you still get encounters, and the map shows your progress) and get back just in time. And she wants to go out to the local tavern! So off we go, and I end up in yet another fight, this time to show off a bit. Henry at this point is muddy from riding, hungover, and slightly battered. I go back to the mill, eat, clean up, then sit on the bed reading a new skill book I bought at the scribes, while it rains heavily just outside the window.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 09 March 2018 - 08:14 AM

#39 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:16 PM

Support staff was helpful. Problem was, I switched my KS e-mail, and I used the wrong one on the backer site.

They fixed the issue, so the game is now sitting in my Steam library

#40 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 12 March 2018 - 01:32 PM

I really love the skill progression in this game.

You get better at various skills the more you use them, sounds obvious, but unlike other games, rather than just increasing the level by upping the relevant stats, you actually learn how to do things better.

Like, archery is difficult to begin. Theres no aiming reticule, so you line up your shot as you really would. You can also only wield a low level bow to start with, depending on strength, and until you reach level 5, you don't even hold the bow properly. You can't gain exp from randomly shooting trees or something, you have to hunt or fight to gain levels.
I started hunting hares, and I'm now just good enough to enter contests and win - but rather than having clicked something that made me better, I've had to learn how to do it, and the game rewards you incrementally with perks you have to really earn, so it feels like a natural process. Also you spend so long being crap that when you draw your bow and nail a hare from a distance with one shot, it feels like you've actually achieved something.

The fighting is the same - in a training session I can do well, but if I get jumped by 3 or more bandits, I get bashed. Im getting a few combos learned though, and each practice builds a bit more strength, as well as teaching more moves.

I've learned to read now too - any books or texts you look ar otherwise are incoherent. Learning to read lets you gain skills from books; you have to spend some time actually sitting and reading in a decent place though - you don't just use it and gain a point. It means you work it into the day naturally - I had to wait an hour for someone during a quest, so instead of waiting or returning later, I found a bench and read for an hour.

The environment is very convincing. I was riding back to town at night (which in itself is risky if you dont stick to roads) and as well as owls, dogs barking in the distance, and the sound of the horse clopping along, I went past a field of sheep. Couldn't see them, but heard their bells and occasional baa. Really atmospheric.
The forests are equally detailed - birdsong, streams, wildlife, and they're also as easy to get lost in as the real thing.

I'm going to learn alchemy next, so I can make some health potions, but before that I'm planning a nighttime trip into town to steal some books from the scribe - he gets drunk in the evening, and I already have keys from the last time I paid them a night visit.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 12 March 2018 - 05:44 PM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users