Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lether Location

#1 User is offline   yuo 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:10 PM

There seems to be a consensus that Lether is relatively close to the west of Jacuruku, with a huge ocean between Lether and Assail. The only evidence supporting this view that I can think of is the landing spot of the Barghasts, assuming they take the shortest route.

But then, why do the Bonehunters land in Lether rather than Kolanse; and how did Iron Bars end up in Lether coming from Assail?

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:01 PM

I can't remember dates or journeys any longer but if it helps, this globe program might help visualize the distances:

https://www.maptoglobe.com/HyhANZP1M#

Keep in mind the map is not entirely to scale but Erikson says it's close.

#3 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 December 2017 - 01:38 PM

View Postyuo, on 18 December 2017 - 06:10 PM, said:

There seems to be a consensus that Lether is relatively close to the west of Jacuruku, with a huge ocean between Lether and Assail. The only evidence supporting this view that I can think of is the landing spot of the Barghasts, assuming they take the shortest route.

But then, why do the Bonehunters land in Lether rather than Kolanse; and how did Iron Bars end up in Lether coming from Assail?

The inconsistencies in the location of Lether are quite striking. But SE insists that eastern Lether is south of western Seven Cities, although that seems far too close for me. We do know the location fits from the book maps though: the White Spires Ocean/Sea is shown east of Kolanse in the Crippled God map, south of Jacuruku in the Blood & Bone map and it's said to be west of Stratem in Return of the Crimson Guard.

In addition we know that it took the Bonehunters a year (give or take) to sail east from Malaz Island in The Bonehunters to land on the west coast of Lether in Reaper's Gale, which tracks with the distance. Deadhouse Gates' maps on the Silanda also show a trail across a "vast" ocean to reach the north-west coast of Lether.

I think SE - who created Lether for the books, it wasn't in his and ICE's original RPG setting - originally had it in mind that Lether was very isolated and remote from the rest of the world and later brought it in closer with the rest of the landmasses. That also tracks with no-one having heard of Lether in the earlier books but in the later ones (ICE and SE both) Letherii merchants and so forth are mentioned and no-one seems very phased by it.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users