Malazan Empire: Dancer vs magic - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dancer vs magic

#41 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:41 PM

View PostWhiskeyJohn, on 29 December 2017 - 01:44 AM, said:

Deessembrae was Dassem ascended. He did ascend without any warren iirc. Just like Whiskeyjack or even Gaones Paran, perhaps not all ascendants need a warren.

I thought Dassem ascended when he defeated Hood in the caves (possibly becoming Hood's Mortal Sword right then and there). Dessembrae is Dessem's deity aspect (he's being worshiped).

As Traveler, he's like Odin walking amongst the mortals as the Wanderer.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#42 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:46 PM

View Postacesn8s, on 26 January 2018 - 08:41 PM, said:

Deessembrae was Dassem ascended. He did ascend without any warren iirc. Just like Whiskeyjack or even Gaones Paran, perhaps not all ascendants need a warren.

I thought Dassem ascended when he defeated Hood in the caves (possibly becoming Hood's Mortal Sword right then and there). Dessembrae is Dessem's deity aspect (he's being worshiped).

Being Mortal Sword doesn't mean you ascended.

I believe the implication based on Tool's recollections was that Dassem ascended when the Logros TI recognized his title of first sword.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#43 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:57 PM

View PostNevyn, on 26 January 2018 - 08:46 PM, said:

View Postacesn8s, on 26 January 2018 - 08:41 PM, said:

Being Mortal Sword doesn't mean you ascended.

I believe the implication based on Tool's recollections was that Dassem ascended when the Logros TI recognized his title of first sword.

I can accept that.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#44 User is offline   Yastru 

• Recruit

Posted 24 September 2018 - 11:59 AM

View PostNevyn, on 01 December 2017 - 02:24 PM, said:

View PostWhiskeyJohn, on 01 December 2017 - 02:15 PM, said:

Dancer is.the most interesting character of the lot imo.

How did he fight equal to Cowl? Cowl is a mage who can Access Meanas. Dancer though has excellent training and talented...was not a mage. He doesn't even have the Otataral knives like Kalam.

And is he the only ascendant who is not a mage and has no Warren or hold Access? He gets access to Shadow after Ascension, but till then he was just a human who achieved Ascension.

You may have to change your thread title.

Anyway, they sort of answer why Cowl doesn't use warrens in the book. He finds out Dancer has a partner who is a mage. There is a line somewhere where he finds that out where he basically decides he'll just have to settle without magic. He also has a massive ego and in the fight in question has the upper hand for a good part of it. So he would never feel like he had to.

As for ascendants that are not mages, not really the only one, but the main one. Also, once he ascends he has some powers associated with the warren (his rope, moving in and out of Shadow without ST there, possessing Apsalar). But other non mages ascend. The bridgeburners ascend. First Heroes like Trake ascend and while they were Soletaken there is no mention of them using warren magic.

He didnt just ascended. He ascended to godhood

#45 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 26 September 2018 - 07:32 AM

So did Itkovian.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users