Malazan Empire: The Southern Reach Trilogy/Area X - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Southern Reach Trilogy/Area X The Books the Annihilation movie is based upon

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:47 PM

A trailer hit for a new film called Annihilation. It looks like this:

Looks cool and creepy and weird. Like The Arrival and Heart of Darkness went on a sex vacation on the Island of Dr. Moreau.

So, based on the reference in the trailer, I looked up the book.

Turns out it's a part of a trilogy of books called The Southern Reach Trilogy. First book Annihilation, then Authority, then Acceptance.

I found a blurb for the first book that looks like this:

Annihilation is the first volume in Jeff VanderMeer's Southern Reach trilogy, Authority is the second, and Acceptance is the third.

Area X-a remote and lush terrain-has been cut off from the rest of the continent for decades. Nature has reclaimed the last vestiges of human civilization. The first expedition returned with reports of a pristine, Edenic landscape; all the members of the second expedition committed suicide; the third expedition died in a hail of gunfire as its members turned on one another; the members of the eleventh expedition returned as shadows of their former selves, and within months of their return, all had died of aggressive cancer.

This is the twelfth expedition.

Their group is made up of four women: an anthropologist; a surveyor; a psychologist, the de facto leader; and our narrator, a biologist. Their mission is to map the terrain and collect specimens; to record all their observations, scientific and otherwise, of their surroundings and of one another; and, above all, to avoid being contaminated by Area X itself.

They arrive expecting the unexpected, and Area X delivers-they discover a massive topographic anomaly and life forms that surpass understanding-but it's the surprises that came across the border with them, and the secrets the expedition members are keeping from one another, that change everything.

Anybody read any of these? Are they worth looking into? Gotta say I love me some reality distorting timey wimey existential hard sci-fi horror.

The fact that it's a finished series makes it doubly interesting.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 27 September 2017 - 06:07 PM

#2 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:09 PM

Well, just going by the trailer, the film and book have little in common beside the basic premise of four women going on a mission into Area X. The area looks nothing like what it's described as in the book, they umped up the sci-fi elements, made the Asian main character white, made the half Native American character white, shoved in a love story where there is explicitly none in the book (the trilogy goes out of its way to explain why there is no love story to be found), I highly suspect that they changed the personality of the biologist (the main character in book 1) to be easier palatable to a general audience, and from what it looks an important element of her story has been scrapped.

I'm not saying the film shouldn't be changing anything, that'd be silly, but basically, it looks like a different story with a similar premise riding on the same name. It makes sense for a visual medium to have all the weirdness be presented visually, where the books manage to make you feel the weird stuff without much of it being explicitly as present as in the trailer (say, that huge tentacle-y thing growing from the tower in the trailer). I should mention I've been following the film development since reading the books, which are really good and worth reading, though personally I was left wanting by the revelations in book 3.

I'm looking forward to the film, though mostly just so I can rage about how different it is and how annoyed I am about whitewashing the main cast. I mean, sure, they have the two characters of uncertain ethnicity in book be played by non-white actresses, but guess who dies in the book first?
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#3 User is online   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:12 PM

A few of us have read them. It's Jeff VanderMeer so that's always a plus. And it is very, very weird. I don't think the film is even going to be capable of getting across the full strangeness- not that it won't be good, but parts of the books work off a style of description and narrative choices that simply aren't translatable to screen. So it's defo worth reading the books before this hits.

They're not long either, so not a huge time commitment.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:18 PM

I like what you're saying. I did notice that there is an Area X compilation book, which is only around 600 pages in hard back. Assuming the made the font extra small, I guess the three books can't be more than 300 pages each. Something I've come to appreciate recently.

The fact that the books are actually deeper, more nuanced and weirder than the trailer/film sounds like a big plus to me. I've gone ahead and made a reservation at my library. I guess it should arrive some time in 2018 going by the amount of reservations on the first book.

#5 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:18 PM

I read them, they're weird. Mostly good weird.

I don't see them doing "authority" right without over-doing it. There's that one scene in it that almost made me put the book down with how creepy it was with just words.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#6 User is online   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:20 PM

@ Puck, where are you seeing a love story that isn't in the book? And what story element are you suspecting has been excised?

In spoilers pls obviously. ;)

#7 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:33 PM

It should also be noted that Garland keeps claiming that this can and is a standalone film and that any sequels will be incidental based off the receipts and box office of this one...which baffles me. I don't know how you do ANNIHILATION and then not the rest of the Area X trilogy. I mean hell, the "answers" don't come till the end of the 3rd book, and even then they are contained in a single "blink and you miss it" paragraph and are vague-ish.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 27 September 2017 - 06:34 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#8 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:39 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 27 September 2017 - 06:20 PM, said:

@ Puck, where are you seeing a love story that isn't in the book? And what story element are you suspecting has been excised?

In spoilers pls obviously. ;)

Spoiler

Again, might just be what it looks like because of the trailer.

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 September 2017 - 06:33 PM, said:

It should also be noted that Garland keeps claiming that this can and is a standalone film and that any sequels will be incidental based off the receipts and box office of this one...which baffles me. I don't know how you do ANNIHILATION and then not the rest of the Area X trilogy. I mean hell, the "answers" don't come till the end of the 3rd book, and even then they are contained in a single "blink and you miss it" paragraph and are vague-ish.

This, pretty much. So either he's made up his own answers or there aren't any. As I've already said in the spoiler tag I looks like there's a crucial story element missing, meaning no continuation would work as written in the books. Which is a pity, I thought it was great.

This post has been edited by Puck: 27 September 2017 - 06:42 PM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]

#9 User is online   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:56 PM

Spoiler

#10 User is offline   Baco Xtath 

• Wait. What?
  • Interests:Reading, writing, building, fly fishing, anime, MMA, and being a father.

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:10 PM

Oh, hell yeah. While the Southern Reach isn't my favorite of Vandermeer's works, it's great nonetheless and there's no way they could do the Ambergris books. Love that he's getting a movie.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett, Jingo"Just erotic. Nothing kinky. It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken." - Terry Pratchett, Eric
"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of a lack of wisdom." - Terry Pratchett

#11 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:54 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 27 September 2017 - 06:56 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

#12 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:58 PM

Where are the rabbits?
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#13 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:03 PM

View Postamphibian, on 28 September 2017 - 09:58 PM, said:

Where are the rabbits?

That is, indeed, the important question.

#14 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:28 PM

The gators better not have et them all.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users