Malazan Empire: Nicholas Cage: Good or Bad? - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Nicholas Cage: Good or Bad? "I can eat a peach for hours"

Poll: For research purposes (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Nicholas Cage: Good or Bad?

1. Good (10 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Bad (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Ugly (1 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

4. Fucked if I know! (9 votes [45.00%])

Percentage of vote: 45.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:47 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 14 September 2017 - 03:04 PM, said:

I've always enjoyed Nicolas Cage. Even when he stars in a crap film, he's fun to watch. Much like Tom Cruise, most of the time it just feels like you're watching Nicolas Cage being Nicolas Cage, but the great thing is that you never know if you're going to get sombre Cage or loud Cage.

I think he should transition from those terrible leading roles he's getting too old for, to better supporting roles. I think that Cage could do wonders for a film if you didn't make his name have to carry the straight to DVD trash they're producing. I also suspect he'd do amazingly if somebody like HBO made a show for him. He has the charisma to carry as a front runner.

As for favorite film, I loved him in Kiss of Death where he plays some coked up body builder who's connected to the mob and beats some guy to a pulp with his bare hands. That was a crazy film.

Couldn't agree with you more actually, Alternative. I would be very interested in a HBO made show with him as a major role - assuming the premise works -, and I agree that if he transitioned more to supporting roles - and perhaps became a tad more discerning with the roles he takes, see Nevyn's video above lol - he could certainly help a movie reach another level. Like I said above, he never sleeps through a movie, even in awful films you know you're going to get Cage, but like you said you're just not sure which side of him you'll get, which still keeps you guessing. He's somewhat unique in the acting world, which is after all a great selling point to have.

Never seen Kiss of Death, but he does seem to enjoy playing coke fiends/druggies/mentally insane roles for sure. That was a crazy film, will probably be Nicholas Cage's epithet tbh!

Lady Bliss, love Gone in 60 Seconds, seen it soooo many times, still enjoy it. It's just good fun. Still get a chuckle out of Vinnie Jones' monologue at the end lol

Honey Cups, I think I've seen City of Angels before, but it was also in a youtube video for a song I used to listen to alot when I was younger - song cut to random scenes ya know the sort of thing - so I'm actually not sure.

This post has been edited by WinterPhoenix: 15 September 2017 - 01:49 PM

"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust." T.S Eliot - The Wasteland

#22 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:09 PM

You have to watch Kiss of Death. It was supposed to be the film that launched David Caruso's film career (along with the sexy crime thriller Jade) after Caruso became a star on... was it Law and Order? NYPD Blue or something? Both of the films underperformed and that was pretty much it for his film career. Then of course CSI: Miami happened.

But Kiss of Death besides having Nic Cage and Caruso in it also stars Samuel L Jackson, Stanley Tucci, Helen Hunt and Ving Rames as well. It's a great small budget 90s crime drama.

Here's a trailer from back before trailer spoiled everything.

I also found a full version of the thing lying on YouTube:

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 15 September 2017 - 04:10 PM

#23 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:22 PM

That actually does sound a like a decennt flick for what it is, can't turn down anything with Nic Cage and Samuel L Jackson - though seriously, how many films has that man done? lol.

Not sure what song it was, definitely wasn't Goo Goo Dolls though, only songs I've ever heard by them are Iris and the cover they did of the Supertramp song Give a Little Bit. I've got a feeling it might have been Joshua Radin's version of Only You (originally by the Flying Pickets, and more recently apparently covered by Selena Gomez, which sounds terrible) I used to listen to Radin quite a bit back when Scrubs was still like half way through, he was Zach Braff's roommate in college so his songs show up on the program quite often. Been a long time now though.

This post has been edited by WinterPhoenix: 15 September 2017 - 04:23 PM

#24 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:05 PM

I will argue til death and beyond that THE ROCK and FACE/OFF are two of the greatest action movies Hollywood has ever barfed out of its slobber-throbbing tentacular maws.

Now, to be fair, both of those movies play Cage off other stars - Connery and Travolta - at solid points in their careers, but even so, Cage is the lead and he sells it.

8mm was never made. Neither was SNAKE EYES. There were no GHOST RIDER movies ever.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#25 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:32 PM

View PostAbyss, on 15 September 2017 - 06:05 PM, said:

I will argue til death and beyond that THE ROCK and FACE/OFF are two of the greatest action movies Hollywood has ever barfed out of its slobber-throbbing tentacular maws.

Now, to be fair, both of those movies play Cage off other stars - Connery and Travolta - at solid points in their careers, but even so, Cage is the lead and he sells it.

8mm was never made. Neither was SNAKE EYES. There were no GHOST RIDER movies ever.

8mm is an awful movie, Snake Eyes is naff but I wouldn't say 'never made' territory necessarily, never saw Ghost Rider or the sequel.

The Rock is my favourite Cage film, used to have it on VHS so I've seen it like a million times, will still watch it whenever it's on, or even invent reasons to see it again - cannot believe my girlfriend has never seen it! :D

I love Face/Off as well, which frankly I find even more remarkable because I really don't like Travolta at all usually, this is one of his rare films where I actually do. I like Con Air too, not quite as good as the other 2 but still a enjoyable action movie. I always found it weird that he wins an oscar for Leaving Las Vegas and then his next 3 movies are The Rock, Con Air and then Face/Off such an odd transition.

Anyone seen Lord of War? Him and Jared Leto as Russian (or Ukrainian, can't remember) gun runners, decent flick in that actiony type vein.

#26 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:55 PM

I think Lord of War was made for Cage's personality. I have no idea if he did the real life person justice but he was great for the role.

#27 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:01 PM

Absolutely forgot that it's based on real life persons, and I've seen the film twice, not exactly the best advert for it I guess, or just proof that my brain has sieve-like qualities I suppose.

But yeah I think he fitted the role perfectly. Also Jared Leto is a better actor than he is a musician, just saying.

#28 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:03 PM

The Rock is fun, but I would not call it a good movie.

Face Off is peak Cage. An over the top performance in a role that actually called for it.

On the start of his slide into direct to video land, I actually didn't mind the critically panned Next. Needed a better title, a hard R, and a better resolution. But it was a fairly cool concept, and an understated by Cage standards performance.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#29 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:49 PM

View PostWinterPhoenix, on 15 September 2017 - 07:01 PM, said:

Absolutely forgot that it's based on real life persons, and I've seen the film twice, not exactly the best advert for it I guess, or just proof that my brain has sieve-like qualities I suppose.

But yeah I think he fitted the role perfectly. Also Jared Leto is a better actor than he is a musician, just saying.

Jared Leto is a better fire hydrant than he is a musician.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#30 User is offline   King Lear 

• Une belle quelquesomething sans merci
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:28 PM

You forgot the option 'so bad he's good' in the poll.

I'm a vampire! I'm a vampire! I'm a vampire!
*Men's Frights Activist*

#31 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 16 September 2017 - 10:18 AM

My favourite thing about Face/Off was how the surgeons were so good they transferred Travolta's gut to Cage and then back again.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users