• Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:27 AM

Tv series
Movies

#2 User is offline   Danielson13 

• Recruit

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:30 AM

These books are so much better then others making the big screen! I've never re red books as often as this series. Erickson and esslemont have by far become my favourite authors and i know this has the potential to become best in show for sure!

#3 User is offline   RandallFlagg 

• Recruit

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:28 AM

View PostDanielson13, on 21 July 2017 - 07:30 AM, said:

These books are so much better then others making the big screen! I've never re red books as often as this series. Erickson and esslemont have by far become my favourite authors and i know this has the potential to become best in show for sure!

After sitting through the 3 Hobbit movies I always thought that if these books could get anywhere near that budget they would be much better films. My only concern is I don't know how popular these books are compared to other fantasies like lord of the rings and game of thrones, and whether any studios would take that big of a risk. Because it would be a huge investment movie wise, and even for a tv series it would require a massive budget even compared to the likes of GOT, since these books have magic and different species so crucial to the story there would me a lot more special effects required where GOT is a lot more grounded. Either they spend a fortune to do it right or they streamline it too much and ruin the story...

But we can always hope, I've never read a better fantasy series and wished it was popular with a wider audience

#4 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:49 PM

SE keeps hinting that they are in talks with producers, so who knows. I think SE's ideal scenario was three films per book instead of a TV series, but frankly I cannot imagine any studio or producer signing up for 30+ films... Practically I don't see it happening, the series is just too big and intense in scope. It would either cost a fortune and a never before seen commitment from a production company, or it would inevitably be a massively dressed-down and utterly disappointing flick.

It might work in a sort of Star Wars setup: choose one book and make that into a film, then when it proves successful use the resulting profits and the audience buy-in to fund the next one. A tricky path to take though. Alternatively, hope that CGI costs come down far enough in the near future that you can do epic on a budget.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 21 July 2017 - 01:49 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#5 User is offline   nicetrout 

• Sergeant

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:24 AM

I mean like I guess it could be done but it feels like something that would be somewhat impossible to film. I mean they are about a hundred or so named characters to keep track of a story that is wildly disjointed in terms of location. I love the books but I think honestly the story is probably too sprawling to be easily adapted into a television show. TV audiences are not accustom to having whole casts of characters disappearing entirely for multiple years at a time.

People always mention animation and like yeah maybe that's the way. I like them as books, it feels like that's what they're meant to be.

#6 User is offline   DanielR 

• Recruit

Posted 22 September 2018 - 10:34 AM

View Postnicetrout, on 24 July 2017 - 04:24 AM, said:

I sleep better with SnoreRX like I guess it could be done but it feels like something that would be somewhat impossible to film. I mean they are about a hundred or so named characters to keep track of a story that is wildly disjointed in terms of location. I love the books but I think honestly the story is probably too sprawling to be easily adapted into a television show. TV audiences are not accustom to having whole casts of characters disappearing entirely for multiple years at a time.

People always mention animation and like yeah maybe that's the way. I like them as books, it feels like that's what they're meant to be.

Honestly, it would have to be a production on par or even better than Game of Thrones for this to work as a TV series. There's so much content in these books... I hope it happens someday though.

This post has been edited by DanielR: 09 September 2022 - 11:53 AM

#7 User is offline   Wu ammanas 

• Recruit

Posted 20 August 2019 - 02:00 AM

I think making this book into a series will be the ultimate. It will easily surpass game of thrones if the plot lines stick with the novel and the director is good.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users