Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Thoughts on needing to read RotCG?

#1 User is offline   Sypher 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:34 AM

I struggled a long time with whether or not to read RotCG. Tried a few times and ended up putting down the series for a year. Was going to just skip it and move to TtH but I decided to try RotCG again. I'm 3/4 way through the book and I'm liking it, it's pretty good. Along my research a lot of people say it's not a required read-- but with all the stuff going on I'm wondering how it's not needed? Big stuff is happening within the Empire. Is it not talked about or glossed over as unimportant in the later books? Is the crimson guard in the rest of the series (I guess that might be asking for spoilers b/c they could all get wiped out in this book, I'm only 75% through)?

Why do people say it's not required?

Edit: just finished the book. With the death of a very significant character, though haven't read TtH yet, I would say this book is required.

This post has been edited by Sypher: 04 July 2017 - 07:34 PM

#2 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 July 2017 - 02:38 AM

I won't spoil plot specifics, but:

Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:15 AM

View PostSypher, on 04 July 2017 - 12:34 AM, said:

They are cold and dead inside and enjoy not knowing the whole story.

...or what Worry said.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 04 July 2017 - 07:47 PM

I agree with Sorry and Abyss. ROTCG should definitely be read amidst Erikson's books. Naturally that means that so should NoK. Esslemont's other books can IMO be left to be read after TCG.

#5 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 04 July 2017 - 08:31 PM

View PostSypher, on 04 July 2017 - 12:34 AM, said:

I struggled a long time with whether or not to read RotCG. Tried a few times and ended up putting down the series for a year. Was going to just skip it and move to TtH but I decided to try RotCG again. I'm 3/4 way through the book and I'm liking it, it's pretty good. Along my research a lot of people say it's not a required read-- but with all the stuff going on I'm wondering how it's not needed? Big stuff is happening within the Empire. Is it not talked about or glossed over as unimportant in the later books? Is the crimson guard in the rest of the series (I guess that might be asking for spoilers b/c they could all get wiped out in this book, I'm only 75% through)?

Edit: just finished the book. With the death of a very significant character, though haven't read TtH yet, I would say this book is required.

This question, as asked, amounts to requesting spoilers.

Especially since you went ahead and read it anyway.

The simple generic version of the answer would be to say that SE wrote MBOTF so that it could be read as a stand-alone, and thus it can. You know what he wants you to at all points in the story.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#6 User is offline   shovelbum 

• Recruit

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:18 PM

I recently read Night of Knives and am now about 200 pages in to Return of the Crimson Guard.

Both books will be more enjoyable if you read the core Book of the Fallen novels first.

Night of Knives could be read at any time. It's a quick, fun, young-adult quality read. Return of the Crimson Guard requires you to be a fan of the Malazanworld/series first, I think--after page 150 or so, it's like the writer had a language-affecting stroke and the editor was too drunk to notice.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users