Malazan Empire: Classics Group Read June 2017 - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Classics Group Read June 2017

Poll: Classics Nominations (8 member(s) have cast votes)

Pick one

1. Don Quixote (1 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. Master and Margarita (7 votes [87.50%])

Percentage of vote: 87.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 31 May 2017 - 04:48 PM

The June selection was The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov.

Week 2 covers chapters 7-12, and will run from Monday June 12th through Sunday June 18th.

Week 1 covered chapters 1-6 and ran Monday June 6th through Sunday June 11th. As usual, please continue to use spoiler blocks to discuss events in these chapters until Monday June 19th in case anyone falls behind schedule.

This post has been edited by JPK: 11 June 2017 - 06:06 PM

#2 User is offline   JPK 

Posted 31 May 2017 - 05:28 PM

It would also be nice if you just made a post to confirm involvement so I know how many people are in.

#3 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:22 PM

Since I'm the one that suggested it, obviously my vote is for M&M
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#4 User is offline   JPK 

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:02 PM

I hadn't even heard of M&M until you suggested it. I'm really happy that you did because it sounds super compelling.

#5 User is offline   JPK 

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:15 PM

So I was looking on the kobo marketplace and they have 2 different versions. An older publication with what appears to be a ventriloquist's dummy and a woman on the cover while the newer one has a demonic snake-cat. The older shows its around 50 pages while the newer shows 400ish. I'm assuming the demon-cat is the actual work?

Edit: there are seriously like 6 versions of this. Halp!?

Kobo marketplace

This post has been edited by JPK: 31 May 2017 - 08:19 PM

#6 User is offline   Thirteen 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:30 PM

The ventriloquist dummy one seems to be some kind of adaption. Other versions should to be legit though.

I will join, since I have already started on M&M.

#7 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 31 May 2017 - 09:35 PM

The ventriloquist one is the theatre adaptation, you want snake cat or the 50th anniversary edition or any other you can find in that page count ball park.

Sadly, I had to cut my first try at this book club read thing short because work came flooding in and I'm not going to try for this one, mainly because I've already read the book.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#8 User is offline   Itwæs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia

Posted 31 May 2017 - 09:46 PM

How long is it?

I was gonna read the books that I will need for exams next year, but this sounds interesting. I would also read it in Czech so that'd up my reading speed quite a bit
All things fall from kings to rose petals

#9 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:35 AM

Its the demon cat one, right? Because that's the cover Penguin Classics uses. The pagecount seems to vary from 405 to 470

#10 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:54 AM

I don't know why you guys are looking to buy the book.

It's in the public domain and you can easily find great translations of it online (and its legal). Buying it is just letting publishers profit for no reason off dead people's work.

I've read the first few pages of the book and it seems to be pretty good, so I'll be participating.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#11 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:23 AM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 01 June 2017 - 12:54 AM, said:

It's in the public domain and you can easily find great translations of it online (and its legal). Buying it is just letting publishers profit for no reason off dead people's work.

I've read the first few pages of the book and it seems to be pretty good, so I'll be participating.

I will probably be getting it from the library.

#12 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:51 AM

My edition is about 370pgs, (it's part of a Bulgakov compilation volume) It's a 1988 reprirnt of a 1973 edition.

I suspect it might be somewhat censored, so it'd be interesting to get your guys' impressions on a more modern edition.

#13 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:57 AM

When I saw "Classics Group Read" I got excited for a moment because I assumed it meant "classical Latin or ancient Greek"---ah well.

My grandparents were really into Russian novels (in Russian, which they were fluent in), but iirc I've never really read one in full. My grandfather was once forced to type all of War and Peace during his physics PhD in a failed attempt to get him to learn to spell correctly (barbarous times).

View PostEmperorMagus, on 01 June 2017 - 12:54 AM, said:

Is it? "An extreme example is Mikhail Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita: the work was first published posthumously in 1966. At that time, the Soviet copyright term of then 15 years p.m.a. had already expired as Bulgakov had died in 1940. The new Russian copyright law from 1993 placed this work under copyright again, because the 50-year term was calculated from 1966 on. [...] On August 8, 2004, the copyright law of Russia was amended by federal law no. 72-FL, by which the general copyright term was extended from 50 to 70 years. This term extension applied only to works that were still copyrighted in Russia in 2004."

https://en.wikipedia...sian_Federation

That's not even factoring in the copyright on translations into English.

According to this convincing-looking legal blog, the original and all translations and adaptations are *not* public domain in the US.oA:

"Unlike the United Kingdom, the United States does not follow the rule of the shorter term. The Master and Margarita entered the U.S. public domain when it was originally published in Russia and France in the late 1960s because the U.S. had no copyright relations with the Soviet Union. However, its U.S. copyright was automatically restored on Jan. 1, 1996 under the Uruguay Round Agreement Act and it is entitled to a full term of U.S. copyright protection. This term is 95 years from the year of first publication. So if it was first published in 1966, the novel will remain under copyright in the U.S. through the end of 2061. You'll need to get permission from Bulgakov's heirs to use it in an opera. Be sure to do so, they are litigious bunch. They recently filed an unsuccessful suit against a U.S. publisher that published an e-book version of an English translation of the novel. See Peter Mayer Publishers, Inc. v. Shilovskaya, 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 45887 (SDNY Marc 31, 2014)."

http://dearrichblog....arita-into.html

Granted, the suit was unsuccessful---but the publisher had probably already acquired the rights to publish a physical book, just not an ebook.

But I don't think Bulgakov's heirs---litigious as they may be---will sue you over using the links to free translations (and Russian texts---I like the one with English on the left and Russian on the right, between Google Translate and the dictionary it's probably not that hard to read).

However, if you live in the EU, it apparently became public domain in 2011 (at least it did in (nonclassical) Italy): "Brunella Schisa explains that right after the 1st January 2011 deadline -- also known as Public Domain Day -- several Italian publishers will launch new translations of such masterpieces as "The Master and Margarita" by Mikhail Bulgakov [...] Why? Simple: according to Italian law, authors' copyright expires 70 years after their death (1940), so everybody is free to re-use their works in any fashion and format. And, guess what?, both the public and the market are craving for new versions of such classics of the world literature."

https://communia-pro...-margarita.html

Who is the heir of Bulgakov? Apparently, "the grandson of Bulgakov's third wife Elena Sergeevna Shilovskaya claims, as a self-assigned heir, the rights on Bulgakov's literary inheritance" and he has successfully sued to prevent adaptations of Master and Margarita in Russia and USo.A, at least as recently as 2015:

"I am a Russian composer and without this opera being performed in Russia my happiness can never be complete, though unfortunately due to the demands of Bulgakov's heir, Mr Shilovsky, the chances of this opera being staged in Russia are zero. For the same reasons, a performance of the opera at the Metropolitan Opera planned for 2015 has been cancelled.

Interestingly, Bulgakov himself dreamed that one day someone would write an opera based on the novel's plot. The archives of the Bolshoi Theatre, where he earned some extra money reworking libretti, hold a letter in which he wrote openly of this. At present the famous Parisian lawyer André Schmidt is working with Shilovsky and me. This work is progressing extremely slowly, though I believe that in the end it will all work out. As I said to the lawyer, A Dog's Heart was once "arrested" on ideological grounds; the second time the reasons are economic. They can't be allowed to laugh at us in the West – they say that Russians can't even agree among themselves.
The idiocy of copyright law today is such that you can't take some lines without the permission of the writers' relatives who are, at times, very remote from literature and music and are interested only in money."

https://www.mariinsk...rom_raskatovym/

So Bulgakov's heir seems to be a tyrannical, money-grubbing plutocrat. And, according to a 2015 article in Foreign Policy, the other heirs are Putin and his cronies ("The Rise of Bulgakov Diplomacy"):

"Belatedly, it appears, Russia has perceived the value of soft diplomacy to shore up the nation’s reputation overseas and is buttressing this underused resource. [...] that this projected series, conceived to inform and enlighten Western readers, may also serve to buttress Putin’s aims makes some people wary — including some supporters of the Russian Library. One of the participating scholars, speaking on condition of anonymity, explained, 'The problem here is that, despite the very noble nature of the project, which is long overdue and timely and necessary, the Russian authorities are using it to make a good face. And that’s why I am split. I don’t want to add my two pennies to the Kremlin bank.'"

http://foreignpolicy...in-read-russia/

Putin apparently uses Master and Margarita as pro-Christian (and post-truth) propaganda:

'"It's a very complicated novel, and people get what they want out of it," Haber says. "One thing that [Russian President Vladimir] Putin and the people of present-day Russia support is the Christianity that was attacked during the communist period. Those people who are very pro-church pick that out, whereas most readers look at the anti-authoritarianism of it."'

http://www.npr.org/s...in-stalins-time

That could explain why Bulgakov's heir hasn't sued Wikipedia to take down the external links to free full texts of Master and Margarita, which are illegal in the U.S.oA and Russia: the Kremlin thinks Ма́стер и Маргари́та may be a полезные дураки.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 01 June 2017 - 05:02 AM

#14 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:50 AM

Thankfully I don't have to talk about the stupid US laws, and neither does Ando.

Canadian law protects a work for fifty years after the author's death, which means in Canada M&M became public domain around the year 1990.

You can see the relevant statutes here(s. 6): http://laws-lois.jus...page-3.html#h-6

Wikipedia tells me India has a life+60 years protection, which means M&M is public domain for Ando as well.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#15 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:36 PM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 01 June 2017 - 05:50 AM, said:

Thankfully I don't have to talk about the stupid US laws, and neither does Ando.

Canadian law protects a work for fifty years after the author's death, which means in Canada M&M became public domain around the year 1990.

You can see the relevant statutes here(s. 6): http://laws-lois.jus...page-3.html#h-6

Wikipedia tells me India has a life+60 years protection, which means M&M is public domain for Ando as well.

Stupid? You make US.oAn/Russian law sound more well-intended than it is; it's intelligent plutocracy and repression. But is it stupid democracy, stupid utopian market capitalism? M&M's epigraph seems relevant:

<<…Так кто ж ты, наконец?
– Я – часть той силы
что вечно хочет
зла и вечно совершает благо.>>

"'... who are you, then?'
'I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.'"

So that each working in their own self-interest magically results in the best of all possible goods for all? Yet, in the Soviet context, didn't the greatest number of deaths, the greatest amount of misery, come about by willing good (modernization, industrialization, all the positive, logical, and unselfish aspects of Communism) yet doing evil (starvation, paranoid gulags, etc.)?

It's curious that Canada offers the shortest period of copyright protection---decades shorter than almost everywhere else. Of course, the big scandal in Canadian art and literature for the last few months has been the appropriation of First Nations stories and artwork... and First Nations people have a very strong traditional notion of something like sacred copyright.... probably just a coincidence.

Is the "free" internet translation a Kremlin-approved appropriation of the Russian? The site is studyenglishwords.com, which implies that Russian speakers might use this novel to learn English. Yet perhaps the converse is also partly true---English readers (a large part of the world) may become inspired to learn a little Russian, especially if the translation is unusually simple, literal, and close to the Russian. Or the presence of facing Russian text may assure that this is in fact a rigorously accurate translation, glossing over key slants or even elisions. I've already noticed one glaring, obvious omission in the epigraph: the Russian is clearly presented as four lines of verse, possibly metrical, while the English is two lines of prose dialogue. (The original German is completely omitted.)

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 01 June 2017 - 04:14 PM

#16 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:46 PM

the whole concept of copyright was originally introduced in both England and France by book-sellers in order to maintain a printing and selling monopoly. It's never really been about "creator's rights" .

In the Soviet context, especially with music, it was actually quite the opposite. In a set-up where artists where on government payroll, the highest possible tier of recognition (beyond all the state-sponsored awards, etc), was to have your songs achieve status of "народная" (literally: "the people's" or "folk" ), where everyone would know the lyrics, and play/sing them at any festive occasion.

I'm pretty sure this is at least partially responsible for the incredibly lackadaisical acceptance of piracy in FSU- because people are so used to the idea that "music belongs to the people".

But I think I'm veering off topic. JPK, are we starting next week?

#17 User is offline   JPK 

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:10 PM

Yes, I was planning Monday-Sunday weeks again.

Since it seems a couple of you have previous experience with the work, does a 4 week split sound reasonable, or would 5 weeks be better?

Also, anyone want to volunteer to put up some background about the work akin to what I did going into tCoMC?

#18 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:40 PM

I'd be a bad judge here, since I'm likely to read the whole thing in 2 sittings (I love most things Bulgakov wrote).

I can probably give some background on the weekend.

#19 User is offline   Khetienn 

• Recruit

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:11 PM

Hi, I'm new (obviously....)

Looking forward to ACTUAL book discussion, since apparently I mostly hang out with a bunch of losers who don't read.... lol

#20 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:26 PM

Hey, welcome to the group!

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users