Malazan Empire: Minor Question: Mappo's Weapon - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Minor Question: Mappo's Weapon (might contain spoilers for future books in the comments)

#1 User is offline   Jarod 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:51 AM

I just finished DG and was really curious about the bone-mace kind of weapon of Mappo.

There is a description of the collection of the bones it is made from, but it's not made explicit what kind of creature they belonged to, though it is implied that it was very powerful as it already had inherent properties. I was thinking of either a perished soletaken/d'ivers or maybe even a sort of an "ascendent" weapon such as Paran's sword Chance from book one.

Does this get revealed later? I would google/wikia it but I'm afraid of other unrelated spoilers.

#2 User is offline   Itwęs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:42 AM

Here's the description of the weapon from DG

Firstly it sounds like the bone only had physical properties, not really magical in itself. It sounds like it just supported the sorcerous investment of the witches and made it possible for it to grow to it's full extent but I think that's all. Certainly don't think it's an ascendant weapon.

I don't recall it ever being revelealed what specific beast it was and google doesn't yield any results on that front, but even considering some info that we learn later soletaken is a good guess and it could explain the bone's support of sorcerous investment.

"The thigh bone - which he now held in his hands - had the shape of a bird's, yet impossibly huge and twice as thick as the hollow shaft it surrounded. Ridges appeared here and there along the shaft, where what must have been massive muscles were attached..."

This makes me think it could be an enkar'ala soletaken, or even wild enkara'ala that is not soletaken (MT SPOILER:

Spoiler

). Something else also comes to my mind but it's a MOI SPOILER:

Spoiler

All things fall from kings to rose petals

#3 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:09 PM

Yeah, enkar'ala was my first thought too given the bird-like quality, but on the other hand wouldn't enkar'ala be recognizable to the Trell?

Could be from a Soletaken that transforms into a larger-than-usual version of a creature that wouldn't ordinarily leave such a large long-bone behind. There's also some large demon races it could have come from, such as perhaps an Aptorian (which are nine feet tall).

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:05 PM

Funnily enough, my go to was a T-Rex.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   Kruppe of Darujhistan 

• Justly Vilified
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Cheating Hood since 1955

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:47 PM

Abyss, on 23 May 2017 - 07:05 PM, said:

Funnily enough, my go to was a T-Rex.

That would be a sizable thigh bone even Mappo might find unweildy.
My guess is a LATER BOOK SPOILER MODGODDED OUT BUT TOTALLY SOLID THEORY.

This post has been edited by Abyss: 06 June 2017 - 03:10 AM

What is not forbidden is mandatory.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users