• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Regarding Silchas' Group And how long it's been together

#1 User is offline   Aventinus 

• Dassem's First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:18 PM

I'm only in the second chapter but I have a question regarding Silchas' group.

If I remember correctly the events of MT happened ~3-5 years before the events of Reaper Gale, correct? This seems like a veeery long time for this group to roam around Letheras. Psychologically, they seem like they've been together for only a few weeks. Also, the distance they've covered is not long at all (for 3-5 years).

Can you give me some context, please? Maybe I miss something.
"Show me a god that does not demand mortal suffering. Show me a god that celebrates diversity, a celebration that embraces even non-believers, and is not threatened by them. Show me a god that understands the meaning of peace. In life, not in death."

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:44 PM

The timeline is not important, The timeline is not important, The timeline is not important...

#3 User is offline   Aventinus 

• Dassem's First Sword

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:57 PM

View PostSeduce Goose, on 20 May 2017 - 05:44 PM, said:

The timeline is not important, The timeline is not important, The timeline is not important...

I've been following the TOR reread since I started reading GotM. I remember many comments regarding timeline inconsistencies and every time I thought that these people were nitpicking. But this is kind of big. I mean, it doesn't make sense, you know what I mean? I can think of some explanations. Maybe Silchas' story is not in the present-present but somewhere in between. This is why I asked for context.

"Show me a god that does not demand mortal suffering. Show me a god that celebrates diversity, a celebration that embraces even non-believers, and is not threatened by them. Show me a god that understands the meaning of peace. In life, not in death."

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:06 PM

It's been too long since I read it, but there are a few explanations. For one they wandered in the mountains for quite some time avoiding the letherii. I also suspect there were some warren related time dilation.

But mostly the timeline is fucked.

This post has been edited by Seduce Goose: 20 May 2017 - 06:06 PM

#5 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:07 PM

Yah. I tend to excuse it with Midnight Tides wasn't actually that long ago. But that exacerbates the other glaring timeline issue you haven't come to yet. Neither one is particularly important though, like once you're past the "that doesn't make sense timeline-wise" part, it doesn't actually have any kind of disastrous domino effect.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:17 AM

Warrens.It's all about warrens not important the timeline is not important the timeline is not....
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:00 AM

Well, the Finnest is really well hidden and they are all really determined to find it and/or have the other person not find it. There is supposedly an unfound chocoloate Easter egg in my parents' garden from four Easters ago that my nephew is still searching for whenever he is at their place (though I suspect my dad lied to him about that just for a laugh).
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#8 User is offline   Aventinus 

• Dassem's First Sword

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:41 AM

View PostGorefest, on 21 May 2017 - 08:00 AM, said:

Well, the Finnest is really well hidden and they are all really determined to find it and/or have the other person not find it. There is supposedly an unfound chocoloate Easter egg in my parents' garden from four Easters ago that my nephew is still searching for whenever he is at their place (though I suspect my dad lied to him about that just for a laugh).

???

#9 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:07 PM

View PostAventinus, on 20 May 2017 - 05:18 PM, said:

I'm only in the second chapter but I have a question regarding Silchas' group.

If I remember correctly the events of MT happened ~3-5 years before the events of Reaper Gale, correct? This seems like a veeery long time for this group to roam around Letheras. Psychologically, they seem like they've been together for only a few weeks. Also, the distance they've covered is not long at all (for 3-5 years).

Can you give me some context, please? Maybe I miss something.

Depends. I can't remember how the 3-5 years estimate came about, but 3 years is easily doable between MT and RG if you assume that it's between the beginning of MT and the beginning of RG. Though it doesn't seem like it while reading, the Tiste Edur invasion of Lether took well over a year. In Chapter 1 of RG, Seren mentions how Silchas' group has been together and travelling for "months and months", which to me sounds like at least the better part of a year. That may seem like a very long time to reach the mountains, but in the same thought Seren also mentions that they had to travel a huge hook; rather than going straight east they had to travel north then basically return, on foot, while hiding from hunters sent out immediately after Fear's and Udinaas' disappearance was noticed, meaning they likely had to stay put and hide, sometimes for weeks.

As to why they don't seem like that.. Well, my assumption is that they don't want to be where they are and Seren in particular seems very proficient at denial.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#10 User is offline   Itwæs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:35 AM

I think the estimation of time passed comes from the 14th's time spent at sea before arriving to Letheras. I remember it as about the said 3 years, plus (since MT ends more or less parallely with MoI) there was the time when events of HoC and BH happened.
All things fall from kings to rose petals

#11 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:51 AM

But then you also need to factor in Trulls chaining in the Nascent realm.

#12 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:38 AM

View PostItwæs Nom, on 22 May 2017 - 05:35 AM, said:

I think the estimation of time passed comes from the 14th's time spent at sea before arriving to Letheras. I remember it as about the said 3 years, plus (since MT ends more or less parallely with MoI) there was the time when events of HoC and BH happened.

Actually MT should end way before MoI, because the inhabitants of Callous were killed by the Tiste Edur fleet. But than there is the dead Edur, who probably not drifted several years in the ocean, and Karsa's journey through the already flooted Nascent, maybe around the time when the Siege of Pale ended or, according to the date mentioned in the book alreday 1159 BS. Posted Image

Okay, my guess for the timeline

1159 BS - Wrong date. Nothing happend there

1162 BS (?) - MT, Nacent flooded, Tiste Edur fleets send out, Trull chained
1163 BS - Karsa kills Binadas in the Nascent
1164 BS - Callous, MoI, Trull freed
1165 BS - tBH, Fleets start returning home, Bonehunters outlawed
1166 BS - RG (Invasion of Letheras was still before the Battle of the Plains due to what Hood said about Toc the Elder), I think it is also mentioned, that the journey of the Bonehunters takes at least a year.
Also ignore the date for the Landing of the Barghast in Letheras. Yes, according to the book they landed there before MoI happend.

So it should be at least roughly four years for Silchas and gang to walk around. Maybe they travelled through a Warren with some strange effects on time. My best guess to save the situation. Always blame the warrens.

This post has been edited by - Coltaine -: 22 May 2017 - 01:36 PM

#13 User is offline   Aventinus 

• Dassem's First Sword

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:22 PM

View Post- Coltaine -, on 22 May 2017 - 06:38 AM, said:

So it should be at least roughly four years for Silchas and gang to walk around. Maybe they travelled through a Warren with some strange effects on time. My best guess to save the situation. Always blame the warrens.

But they never entered any warrens... Did they? :P

#14 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:27 PM

The blue rose mountains were semi-shrouded by Kurald Galain or something like that, weren't they? Plus Ruin is powerful enough that they could all have been travelling around in a pocket warren the entire time.

#15 User is offline   Aventinus 

• Dassem's First Sword

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:28 PM

View PostSeduce Goose, on 22 May 2017 - 06:27 PM, said:

Plus Ruin is powerful enough that they could all have been travelling around in a pocket warren the entire time.

Uber-speculative :p

This post has been edited by Aventinus: 22 May 2017 - 06:29 PM

#16 User is offline   Aventinus 

• Dassem's First Sword

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:30 PM

Ultimately, I don't mind, really. Malazan is an awesome series and yes, timeline does not matter. I just wanted to learn if there is an explanation about it.

#17 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:49 PM

Unfortunately, there is no explanation. As you say, it doesn't make the books not-awesome!

The other big one in RG you might have already run into but I'll put in spoilers just in case:

Spoiler

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#18 User is offline   Aventinus 

• Dassem's First Sword

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:49 PM

View PostD, on 23 May 2017 - 07:49 PM, said:

Unfortunately, there is no explanation. As you say, it doesn't make the books not-awesome!

The other big one in RG you might have already run into but I'll put in spoilers just in case:

Spoiler

Ah, I see. Yes you are right. Thank you for your input.

#19 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:36 PM

View PostAventinus, on 22 May 2017 - 06:22 PM, said:

But they never entered any warrens... Did they? :wallbash:

They were travelling together for a chunk of time we don't see. Anything could have happened... at a minimum something made Silchas send the wyval away.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#20 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:52 AM

View PostAbyss, on 23 May 2017 - 10:36 PM, said:

View PostAventinus, on 22 May 2017 - 06:22 PM, said:

But they never entered any warrens... Did they? :wallbash:

They were travelling together for a chunk of time we don't see. Anything could have happened... at a minimum something made Silchas send the wyval away.

Seren, Udinaas and Kettle (IIRC) also got kidnapped at some point, too. But nevertheless they themselves think back on it as not seeming to have been years of time spent travelling.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users