Malazan Empire: E3 - Electronic Entertainment Expo 2017 - Malazan Empire

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

E3 - Electronic Entertainment Expo 2017 Scorpio vs Switch? Mario vs Red Dead? Star Wars vs WW2?

#21 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:55 AM

Farcry 3 was at times a great game with some truly wonderful moments, until you killed Vaz.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#22 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:20 PM

Posted Image

#23 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:34 PM

Not sure if that color coding is helping or just making me more confused.

As usual the conferences are placed at weird intervals for Copenhagen/Berlin time.

I'm confused about the PC show. Is that the same show as the "Devolver conference" Devolver teased earlier this week?

#24 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:53 PM

From Kotaku (EA has to start earlier, because yeah, EA Posted Image)

Electronic Arts - Saturday, June 10, 12pm Pacific Time
EA has decided to hold their presser on Saturday this year, setting a new record.(By 2022, E3 will start in April.) It's not clear just what this press conference will look like, but here's what EA says: "With our event opening on Saturday, June 10th, we will be kicking off the weekend with our all-new live broadcast experience starting at 12pm PST, where we'll be celebrating our players and our biggest games of the year ahead."

It's safe to expect a whole lot of sports, a whole lot of Star Wars Battlefront 2, and maybe even BioWare's new IP.

Microsoft - Sunday, June 11, 2pm Pacific Time
Team Xbox is also starting early this year, vacating their traditional Monday morning presser slot and snagging Sunday afternoon instead. It's safe to expect the official reveal (complete with price and release date) of Microsoft's next console, Scorpio, as well as more info on Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves, and other shooty games that may or may not involve Master Chief.

Bethesda - Sunday, June 11, 7pm Pacific Time
For the third year, Bethesda will hold a presser to talk about its games, and we'd expect to see a new Wolfenstein, a new Evil Within, and maybe some other good surprises. Feels like a good time for Doom and Dishonored 2 DLC, doesn't it?

Ubisoft - Monday, June 12, 1pm Pacific Time
The folks at Ooobisoft should have lots to show this year. In addition to new Assassin's Creed and Far Cry games, we should see a lot of South Park: The Fractured But Whole and some other nice surprises.

Sony - Monday, June 12, 6pm Pacific Time
Sony likes sticking to tradition, and the PlayStation showcase is the only E3 press conference that hasn't moved or changed drastically over the past few years. On Monday night we'll likely see a lot of new info on games that Sony announced last year: Spider-Man, Days Gone, Uncharted: Lost Legacy, and so on. As always, we can't wait for the 45-minute block dedicated solely to Vita games.

Nintendo - Tuesday, June 13, 9am Pacific Time
The big N says it will only be talking about 2017 games at this year's recorded presser—the "Nintendo Spotlight"—but we wouldn't be surprised to see some teases for 2018 as well. The main course will be Super Mario Odyssey, but we'd expect to see other big Switch games this fall as well. Nintendo also still says that Xenoblade 2 is coming out this year, so maybe E3 is when we'll hear about the delay.

Note: We'll update this post as more info is revealed.

#25 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:20 PM

Not sure which conferences I am looking forward to the most this year.

Ubisoft and Bethesda have become my favorite Publishers over the past years. Both of them have some great libraries. But I think EA might be the most curious this year. They have a new open world action game they have been working on + that Story driven Star Wars project. Question is if they're ready to show something yet.

Microsoft I wonder about. Have they been amassing some games to reveal during E3? Or is their line-up as lacking as it seems? Surely they have something prepared to help sell the Scorpio. Something more than Crackdown 3.

My money is on a re-launched Master Chief collection, all Halo games packaged in up to 5, with remasters of both Halo 2 and 3 included. It would be an extravagant and expensive bundle to "give away" but I think they need something big.

#26 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:31 PM

I mentioned this before, but m$oft have the absolutely easiest way of attracting attention. All they need to do is make more of old exclusives Win 10 compatible. Or remake some games in the Microsoft Games catalogue.

Bethesda has Arcane working for them now, so they are generally the most interesting conference to watch, because Arcane are the dev that reliably makes interesting games that don't fit the straight-up FPS or open-world collectathon genres.

Unless EA makes a new proper C&C game, I don't think there's any franchises they hold hostage that are that dear to me (since they made a new Mirror's Edge already).

Ubisoft could I suppose amaze us all by actually announcing a new BGE game is finally happening.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#27 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:23 AM

What are the odds that Microsoft announce Scorpio-exclusive games, or games with Scorpio-exclusive content? I know they've said that won't be the case, but...

Speaking of BGE, whatever happened to Michel Ancel's other game, Wild, where you went around as a bear, eagle, etc.?
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#28 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:34 AM

They won't. And they don't have to either. Think about the marketing. Every game you will see during E3 will probably be shown as "Running at 4K on a Scorpio with HDR" or something like that. The visuals will sell the console, rather than the game itself. Graphics have always sold consoles.

But I still think they need some X-box exclusives to convince people to buy their console.

I still don't understand Microsofts decision to port their console exclusives to PC. It's cool for us console PC owners but it's handicapping their console.

This post has been edited by Seduce Goose: 19 May 2017 - 08:01 AM

#29 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:59 AM

View PostSeduce Goose, on 19 May 2017 - 07:34 AM, said:

They won't. And they don't have to either. Think about the marketing. Every game you will see during E3 will probably be shown as "Running at 4K on a Scorpio with HDR" or something like that. The visuals will sell the console, rather than the game itself. Graphics have always sold consoles.

But I still think they need some X-box exclusives to convince people to buy their console.

I still don't understand Microsofts decision to port their console exclusives to PC. It's cool for us console owners but it's handicapping their console.

The problem being, 4K is great - but useless at TV gaming distances. And HDR? Doesn't actually work without a compatible TV. Of which there are....none. (Well, almost none.)

So, sure, people will buy the console on graphics - but it shouldn't actually be noticeably better on the E3 streams *anyway*, and people who do go and buy it will also need to have a 4K TV to benefit, or shell out the untold thousands for one of the few 4K HDR TVs on the market currently. Fuck. That. Hell, I've got a 4K TV (only because there was negligible price difference between the HD and 4K), and I don't even want a Scorpio - I don't sit close enough to really notice the difference.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#30 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:05 AM

Your arguments aren't wrong but they are subjective.

Other people will buy a console they deem to be the best, just because it's the best. There's also the aspect future profing your console purchase. When I look up TV's now, here in Denmark they're almost all 4K TV's and most of them have some kind of HDR compatible sticker on them.

In reality the Scorpio is a premium product for people who are willing to pay extra for the visuals. If you're buying a Scorpio day 1 you're probably either already 4K ready or you're prepared to upgrade.

This post has been edited by Seduce Goose: 19 May 2017 - 08:05 AM

#31 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:25 AM

View PostSeduce Goose, on 19 May 2017 - 08:05 AM, said:

Your arguments aren't wrong but they are subjective.

Other people will buy a console they deem to be the best, just because it's the best. There's also the aspect future profing your console purchase. When I look up TV's now, here in Denmark they're almost all 4K TV's and most of them have some kind of HDR compatible sticker on them.

In reality the Scorpio is a premium product for people who are willing to pay extra for the visuals. If you're buying a Scorpio day 1 you're probably either already 4K ready or you're prepared to upgrade.

I would contend that my arguments are actually objective, it's whether people choose to ignore them or not that is subjective. :D
We *know* that the eye cannot discern between 4K and 1080p at a certain distance, after all. That's fact. In the same way that you cannot hear the difference between FLAC and MP3, no matter what audiophiles claim. There's no "future proofing" required if you are physically unable to see a benefit.

Now, talk to me about the game running a higher FPS with less lag? Fine. I'll swallow that. Rendering distances increased? Brilliant. But those are very different arguments to "it's prettier". But that is a lot of money to throw down for minor benefits on some games (as devs may simply not bother to allow their game to run at higher FPS on the Scorpio, for example). People want to do that, it's up to them. Hell, if they've held off jumping into the current gen, more power to them, the Scorpio is hands down the better hardware. But as an upgrade? Screw that. (And yes, that is *definitely* subjective XD)

Side note: most TVs that have "HDR" on them are simply able to display HDR content. That's not the same thing as having HDR technology in them. This is the same kind of BS that flooded the market when "HD" was first around - and to an extent still does with 4K labels (there's a big difference between 4K, QHD, UHD, etc, but depending on your country's marketing laws, they can all be marketed as 4K, even though that's not the same thing as a true 4K resolution). So it's very much "buyer beware" on that front, afaik, under current circumstances.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#32 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:51 PM

View PostSeduce Goose, on 19 May 2017 - 07:34 AM, said:

I still don't understand Microsofts decision to port their console exclusives to PC. It's cool for us console PC owners but it's handicapping their console.

My view on this is subjective (because I hate the tablet-like new Win OSs, while Obdi a while ago told me that Corp sector's lapping up the Win 10), but I would presume they needed to entice PC gamers to adopt Win 10, and they made the cross-compatibility a selling feature (eventually I'm guessing DX 12 will become the reason to upgrade, but too few games are taking advantage of that yet for it to be "mainstream").

But like I said, I have no data to back it up, only my subjective opinion that Win7 is teh best, and it'd take something extraordinary to make me upgrade (I have a licensed win 7 install disk, and a license key from my laptop, so when my laptop finally kicks it and I have to get a new one with a win 10, I'll just end up re-installing 7 on it, probably)
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#33 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:28 AM

2019 earliest I'd Wager.

#34 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:15 PM

Game reveal on Friday the 26th. Looks like it's modern day to me and not Old Western.

#35 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:44 PM

Try a different browser.

EDIT: Oh it's actually 5 seperate teasers.

Here's the rest:

This post has been edited by Seduce Goose: 22 May 2017 - 04:50 PM

#36 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:51 PM

#37 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:27 PM

At the end of the video, it says there is going to be a worldwide reveal this Friday, but yeah, looks modern day.

There's a lot of fertile ground that could be examined in a modern Farcry game where the setting is Montana. Montana has an independent streak, it seems to have a reputation for headquartering white nationalist groups, so called "patriots" who hate the government have had it out with federal agencies there and Ted Kaczynski (the unabomer) pounded out his manifesto on a mechanical typewriter in a cabin there.

Also, as Farcry titles are big on the resource gathering to craft items, there should be a lot of interesting game to hunt in a Montana setting (grizzly bears, wolves, beaver, moose, elk, martin, and possibly the mythical big foot?)

#38 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:56 PM

Red Dead delayed to spring 2018, and Take Two has announced they won't be showing anything at E3 - not that RDR2 was ever going to be there anyway :wallbash:
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#39 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:39 PM

Yep, it looks like it's in the ballpark of where I figured they could go with a Montana setting. I guess more will be revealed soon.
Posted Image

#40 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:52 PM

Aye, very reminiscent of the Farcry 4 cover.

The one interesting thing about this picture that I saw one person comment on, is the airplanes in the background. Now, they might just be there to fill space, but they could imply that the game is graduating to actual airplanes, not just the small copter.

Which in turn might hint at just how big this map will be. Kyrat was already a huge map. I wonder if this one might not be even bigger.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users