• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Apsalar

#1 User is offline   moey112 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:24 AM

First of all hi everyone,
i just finished Deadhouse Gates yesterday and am afraid that some things went over my head. one major (or minor) thing that keeps bugging me is the part where fiddler and mappo assume that pust wants apsalar to go and become shaik reborn. apsalar then leaves after her father and i at least was left with the impression to take on the role. but then they stumbled upon tremolor. was that her or her fathers intention all along? or was is just to mislead the reader? i guess i was left a bit confused because the becoming shaik part was not mentioned again after that.
but maybe i just missed something.

This post has been edited by moey112: 22 March 2017 - 08:26 AM

#2 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:53 AM

Pust and Shadowthrone never intended to make her the new Sha'ik. Pust send Rellock out to complete the fake Path of Hands, that would lead the Soultaken and D'ivers to Tremorlor and Rellock obeyed because he had the feeling that he owed Shadowthrone something, for his new arm and sparing his life and the life of his daugther. Apsalar found him and helped him complete the path, to prevent that the Soultaken and D'ivers would find the real gate to ascension in Tesem.

Fiddlers and Mappos speculations made sense at that point, and Pust supported them because he is Pust and likes to mess with people. :p

#3 User is offline   moey112 

• Recruit

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:01 AM

ah, of course! now that makes a lot of sense :p thanks!!

#4 User is offline   moey112 

• Recruit

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:22 AM

no, wait! but they already planned on going on and finding tremorlor, weren't they? so, they didn't really need the extra motivation to save apsalar from becoming sha'ik reborn.
hmm, or i just need to re-read that part again

#5 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:59 AM

Slightly different take...
Shadowthrone made four plays. He sent Rellock out to set the false trail to Tremolor because that would lead the converging shapeshifters away from the Throne in Pust's temple to an Azath that would take some/most of the strongest and most insane of them out of play.

He also put Apsalar in a position where if she chose to take the Shaik role, she could, which would have given the Whirlwind to Shadow.

Fiddler and co rushing to save Apsalar would draw Icarium along and potentially allow the Azath to take Iccy out of play, and make the Azath happy.

And finally, Shadowthrone put Fiddler in a position to help Kalam resolve some issues or/and mess with Laseen. Win-win-win.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6 User is offline   moey112 

• Recruit

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:34 PM

makes me wonder what would happen if a soletaken/d'ivers ascends..
isn't rake a soletaken and an ascendant?!
i know that's most certainly rafo at this point, just wondering out loud :p started MoI btw, 4 chapters in and i can't put it away, but had to (damn you work!!!)

#7 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:16 PM

View Postmoey112, on 23 March 2017 - 12:34 PM, said:

i know that's most certainly rafo at this point, just wondering out loud :p started MoI btw, 4 chapters in and i can't put it away, but had to (damn you work!!!)

Yeah Rake is an ascendant. Not really a spoiler, that one.

#8 User is offline   moey112 

• Recruit

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:29 PM

View PostAndorion, on 23 March 2017 - 01:16 PM, said:

yeah, i know. i meant the soletaken or d'ivers becoming ascendants part. was wondering what would've happened if one of those shapeshifters seeking the path of hands ascended and then i remembered that rake is also one. and that things like ascension and so on will probably be picked up later on

#9 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 23 March 2017 - 02:16 PM

Eleint soletaken are a bit different than others. You'll find that out by reading more.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#10 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 March 2017 - 02:37 PM

View Postmoey112, on 23 March 2017 - 01:29 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 23 March 2017 - 01:16 PM, said:

yeah, i know. i meant the soletaken or d'ivers becoming ascendants part. was wondering what would've happened if one of those shapeshifters seeking the path of hands ascended and then i remembered that rake is also one. and that things like ascension and so on will probably be picked up later on

MoI.

Is going.

To blow.

Your mind.

A LOT.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic