Malazan Empire: Read Through of Janny Wurts' Wars of Light and Shadow - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Read Through of Janny Wurts' Wars of Light and Shadow SPOILERS REVEALED

#41 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:33 AM

Damn, you are speeding through these last few books.

I had a similar reaction over the last few books that seems rather similar to what you seem to be having. I stopped caring so much about about Arithon's drama around Peril's Gate and Lysaer's circle became the more compelling story. That being said, Arithon gives us Davien, and he is by far my favorite of the sorcerers.

#42 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:14 AM

View PostJPK, on 05 June 2017 - 02:33 AM, said:

Damn, you are speeding through these last few books.

I had a similar reaction over the last few books that seems rather similar to what you seem to be having. I stopped caring so much about about Arithon's drama around Peril's Gate and Lysaer's circle became the more compelling story. That being said, Arithon gives us Davien, and he is by far my favorite of the sorcerers.

I basically want to finish all the books as fast as possible. I have an ever growing TBR, and I want to clear pending series from it. The penultimate book is coming out in October and I will tackle that right away. I need to deal with my TBR and its only through summary actions like this that I will get control of my backlog.

Also once you stop worrying about Arithon and look at Lysaer, Evend and Davien the books improve exponentially.

And yeah Davien is awesome. All the other mages react, Davien acts. Frankly Sethvir's weakness and Asandir's being totally busy is getting old. I think the author figured she had two OP characters who could overturn the story and basically kicked them into a niche for half the books.

#43 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:14 PM

Wait, this series is not yet done? I have the first book on my TRP near the top, but will shuffle it down lower and wait on it another year or two, if it's unfinished atm.

#44 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:29 PM

The penultimate book comes out this October and the last book is supposed to release next year I think.

#45 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:59 PM

Going to start the first book of this series after I finish with the Powder Mage trilo.

Good to hear it's a solid read.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#46 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:09 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 05 June 2017 - 01:59 PM, said:

Going to start the first book of this series after I finish with the Powder Mage trilo.

Note this QT that the author has a very verbose and florid style given to iveruse of adjectives and melodramatic dialogue. But once you get used to this, the worldbuilding and plotting is top-notch.

About 40 % into Stormed Fortress. I have a very bad feeling about this.

#47 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:44 PM

View PostAndorion, on 05 June 2017 - 05:09 PM, said:

Note this QT that the author has a very verbose and florid style given to iveruse of adjectives and melodramatic dialogue. But once you get used to this, the worldbuilding and plotting is top-notch.

Noted. I'd heard that before, and I'm cool with it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#48 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:40 PM

the author has a very verbose and florid style given to overuse of adjectives and melodramatic dialogue.

If anything, that's an understatement. It's the main reason I hit "Pause" on the series. Love the plot, most characters and worldbuilding, couldn't handle the italics. :D

Still buying the books as they come out though. :D

I'll get back into it one day. I think I stopped roughly where you are at the moment Ando.

And yes, Davien is cool. :D

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 05 June 2017 - 06:44 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#49 User is offline   JPK 

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:56 PM

Oh god, that was a real belly-laugh moment for me. Thank you for that Ando. Have you figured out what Davien is up to yet?

#50 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:51 PM

View PostJPK, on 05 June 2017 - 09:56 PM, said:

Oh god, that was a real belly-laugh moment for me. Thank you for that Ando. Have you figured out what Davien is up to yet?

Nope Davien is keeping me guessing. He seems to be rather helpful which is at odds with the alarm he is viewed with by the Fellowship.

Also Fionn Areth has become the single most irritating character in the book. Immediately followed by Jeynsa. I have found that if there is one character trope I can't stand its the "teenage, idealistic, thinks they are in the right and everyone else is wrong" one.

#51 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:17 AM

Shit, Davien unleashed a dragon!

And Feylind died... did not see that coming.

#52 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 07 June 2017 - 03:43 AM

Finished Stormed Fortress.

That was an unusually satisying ending.

Clearly when the Fellowship actually wants to do something, they are pretty effective.

I am not sure how I feel about the baby. Hope Elaira and Arithon get some time together.

Given how malevolent the Koriathin have been, I would have appreciated the Fellowship being a bit more severe with them.

Wonder how Lysaer is going to move on from here, given what happened to Avenor.

With the end of the arc I suppose its a timeskip. I will miss Sufin Evend.

#53 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:29 PM

Tried starting Initiate's Trial, not feeling it.

In fact I am feeling quite frustrated. Just as things had gotten settled, there is a 200 year time jump, Arithon is a memoryless prisoner, his daughter who is super old died trying to save him, the Koriani are on top again... its like Wurts wants Arithon too suffer.

The Fellowship really is useless.

I think I might pick this up in October when the sequel comes out.

#54 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 09 June 2017 - 04:57 AM

So I kind of decided to stick with it.

So far it really reads like earlier books. Arithon on the run, clan people under pressure, Koriani plotting, etc.

So far the only interesting part has been Sufin Evends daughter

#55 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:17 AM

I am now openly cheering for Lysaer. Arithon continues to be the fugitive martyr. 😒

#56 User is offline   JPK 

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:48 PM

Yeah, Initiate's Tidal was a trial for me at first as well. I the end, I really enjoyed the book because of the developments involving Lysaer's new circle, as well as the deployments involving Davien and co.

Spoiler

I'm eagerly awaiting your thoughts now that you've finished the latest book.

#57 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 11 June 2017 - 12:59 AM

Finished Initiate's Trial

Major takeaways:

Fellowship is way too restrained by promises and stuff to be even halfway effective. That invasion should have been stopped.

I fail to understand with all the laws that the Koriathin have broken how they continue to exist. The Prime and the Senior Council should have been nuked. Someone tell the dragon.

This is why I love Malazan. If a council like this had been interfering with the Empire Claws would have been in their chapterhouses and high mages would have nullified their magic.

I kind of feel sorry for the King of Havish. The definition of a pawn.

Arithon really did not do much in this book. Everyone else almost died trying to save him.

I love Daliana. Dedicated, intelligent and does not dither about morals. The books need more people like that.

Lysaer's character is awesome. He knows how badly he is messed up. He tries so hard to fight it. But all his hangups just drag him down.

I am a bit confused about Talith though. It seems Lysaer still thinks she betrayed him. I wonder how he is going to react when he figures it out.

Dakar has matured. That is good.

I wonder what are the long term implication for the regeneration of life in the other continent.

#58 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist
  • Interests:History, Archaeology, Photogrpahy, Writing, Opera, Traveling, Riding, Languages

Posted 11 June 2017 - 03:50 PM

Hm, I should give this another try. I have the first books on my shelves but stopped reading Mistwraith halfway through. Can't even say why; it was not the - often citicised - language, that much I know. Maybe I simply wasn't in the mood.

#59 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:41 PM

View PostGabriele, on 11 June 2017 - 03:50 PM, said:

Hm, I should give this another try. I have the first books on my shelves but stopped reading Mistwraith halfway through. Can't even say why; it was not the - often citicised - language, that much I know. Maybe I simply wasn't in the mood.

I gave up on Mistwraith twice as I just couldn't get past the insanely verbose writing style. The world and the plot got me interested enough to try it for a third time however, and I just now finished the ninth book so it's not like I would be regretting that decision. Even with the annoying writing style the series has become one of my favorites (Reading the books is still a pain in the ass occasionally, but thinking back on all the stuff that's happened, when you can filter out all the needless complexity of the text, the series suddenly becomes truly epic).

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users