Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Game Awards 2016

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 02 December 2016 - 05:41 AM

Anybody watch this last night? I got up early this morning and am watching it now.

You can find it here:

http://thegameawards.com/

Or on youtube.

I'll put my thoughts in a spoiler box in case somebody wants to watch the show with out knowing who won the nominations and what was revealed at the show. Editting as I watch:

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Apt: 02 December 2016 - 11:48 AM

#2 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:47 AM

Is it a decent watch this year?

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:57 AM

I liked it. It had a good balance of awards, speeches, awkward scripted segments, blatant advertisement and reveals.

Here's the full list of nominee's and winners:

(SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS)
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Apt: 02 December 2016 - 10:06 AM

#4 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:17 AM

Andromeda has me worried! Yes, combat looked boring. Your right about the lack of impact. Which is odd, I was expecting it to be the most shooter of all the ME games but it instead looks like a super RPG. Bullets and weapons and even the vanguard charge seemed to have no impact and instead the attacks are just registered and health is removed from the health bar. It also looks worryingly similar to Inquisition. Lots of very open world exploring fighting random monsters! God I hope not. Inquisition was a mess for me. Too big, too aimless. The beauty of ME was always its very structured RPG gameplay.

#5 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:33 AM

I loved Inquisition so that doesn't bother me, but yeah, Mass Effect 3 was a good shooter. Especially the Horde Mode Multiplayer.

In other news, what did people think of the Death Stranding trailer? I think it's crazy. I didn't even realize the guy with the glass tube baby was Guillermo Del Toro:

#6 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:48 AM

I find it a pointless trailer. Is it weird, shocking and memorable absolutely. Does it tell me what the game is no? Is it the real world? Virtual Reality?

#7 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:52 AM

I got a lot of joy out of Inquisition, but combat in that game was fundamentally terrible, and if that's the path they will take with future rpgs too I suspect they'll lose my interest fast.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#8 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 02 December 2016 - 12:13 PM

I only started watching from when they showed the Zelda gameplay last night, so I haven't seen all the reveals. From what I did see:

Zelda still looks wonderful to me despite Nintendo's complete inability to show it off properly.

Agree completely about the impactless look of the fighting in Mass Effect (and the voice acting seemed pretty ropy too). However, I can see that being something they're still working on in development.

I'm very intrigued by the Telltale Guardians of the Galaxy. So now they're doing DC and Marvel games? Talk about hitting the jackpot with their one-track brand of games. My favourite Telltale game has been Tales from the Borderlands, which was seriously overlooked. And I think it helped them that they could basically create a lot of the narrative from scratch. If they can show that humourous touch again, Guardians could be great. On the other hand, I have little interest in another Walking Dead season.

Just watched the Dearh Stranding trailer. Yep, as a game ad, it's entirely pointless, aside from acting as a hype builder. Which is what it is for, so I guess it's done exactly what it's supposed to! Mads and Norman Reedus? If this was a film I'd immediately want to see it. I like the play on Mads always having to have something weird going on with one of his eyes.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#9 User is offline   Loki 

• Knight Commander of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • WWQBDFTW?

Posted 02 December 2016 - 01:39 PM

The music in the trailer for Death Stranding (2:47 onwards) is almost identical to music from the Mass Effect games. :(

Edit: I'm not saying it's exactly the same but they sure sound a like. As though Hulick wrote the score for the trailer or something. If someone played the first few seconds I would have said it was from Mass Effect (I've spent hours in the four digits playing those games and I fall asleep listening to the soundtracks every night). There's a group of cords or whatever (I'm not musical) that get reused throughout the games in the score and the music in the trailer sounds the same (to me).

This is the best examples I could find of what I am referring to.

This post has been edited by Loki: 02 December 2016 - 02:14 PM

Wry, on 29 February 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

And you're not complaining, you're criticizing. It's a side-effect of being better than everyone else, I get it sometimes too.

~TQB~

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users