Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Knight of High House Death

#1 User is offline   Entropic_existence 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 August 2005 - 04:02 AM

The new Knight of Hood we see in Capustan, the Malazan...is it perhaps Baudin? On my second read through this was the first thought that came to mind. Baudin is malazan, he died, he went through the warren of fire, and he was trying to save a "child" in Felisin. Maybe this was discussed to death on the other boards as it seems fairly obvious but figured I would throw it out for posterity's sake.

#2 User is offline   Hume 

• Banned Like a Mushroom
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 18 August 2005 - 05:29 AM

*Spoiler, but also directly answers your question only*

Yeh mate it is Baudin got take a look in the HoC glossary it actually has him listed there as the knight of Hood.

Thats sorta of a spoiler, but you have figured it out, so i dont feel im giving anything away, as well the fact that its fairly easy to pick that identity.

You'll actually learn a little about the situation in HoC on why Baudin (ascended? to) become Knight of Hood.

#3 User is offline   Entropic_existence 

• Corporal

Posted 18 August 2005 - 07:34 AM

And I've read HoC and MT, just posted it in this forum since it was more relevant, guess I missed seeing his name as the Knight in the glossary when I did my first read through (currently on a re-read)

#4 Guest_Klipper_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 19 August 2005 - 03:01 AM

Yes It does say that in the back. Did He acended? Gress we'll find out in later books. Must have made a deal with hood. Eh?

#5 User is offline   Tenaka Khan 

• High Fist

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:05 PM

D I don't think he made a deal with Hood, since he cannot remember clearly who or what he was and what really happened to him. I guess Hood was impressed by Baudin's strentgh of will and his loyalty to the 'child' he had to guard, even though all she was doing was spitting in his face, so he 'recruited' him. I dunno if he actually ascended, but it is to be expected. Didn't someone once mention something about many paths to ascendancy and that most of them lead through hardship and suffering. Weel, the first part was mentioned by Baruk, could be that I just imagined the second one.

Just my two cents :)

#6 User is offline   Entropic_existence 

• Corporal

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:35 PM

Remember that Pearl and Lostara Yil come across Baudin's "corpse" which was a mere shell, when Hood himself came and personally collected the soul of his soon to be new Knight of HHD. This to me implies Ascension, or something like it. He did in truth die after all, and death is a path to Ascension.

Posted 24 February 2006 - 09:18 AM

What I really have a problem with here is the Gidrath soldier that Itkovian sees in the hall in Capustan..mmpb p.692

ok.. so he was a Gidrath sworn to Hood... :)

how come Baudin ends up wearing his armour, and carrying his swords?

#8 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 24 February 2006 - 11:42 AM

There's two options here:

1. Baudin was put in capustan by hood, and disguised as a gidrath.
2. A sworn soldier of hood was in capustan, the horror of the actiosn tehre took his mind, hood had mercy on him and killed him, but saw the perfect oppurtunity to put Baudin to use, so "replaced" the mysterious gidrath with Baudin.

Which of these it actually was depends when Baudn actually died in relation to when we meet the gidrath... if before we meet the gidrath... number 1, if after number 2.

#9 Guest_Merkur_*

Posted 24 February 2006 - 12:05 PM

A new body was needed, Hood had plenty to choose from in Capustan, so he took a soldier...

Posted 24 February 2006 - 01:16 PM

Imperial Historian said:

There's two options here:

1. Baudin was put in capustan by hood, and disguised as a gidrath.
2. A sworn soldier of hood was in capustan, the horror of the actiosn tehre took his mind, hood had mercy on him and killed him, but saw the perfect oppurtunity to put Baudin to use, so "replaced" the mysterious gidrath with Baudin.

Which of these it actually was depends when Baudn actually died in relation to when we meet the gidrath... if before we meet the gidrath... number 1, if after number 2.

Good point... Itkovian is thinking something along these lines..'A bull of a man, who had knelt before R'ath Hood, seemed no longer able to sleep. In the four days and nights since re-taking the Great Hall, he had but paced during his rest period...'

#11 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 24 February 2006 - 01:17 PM

Baudin still had his old appearance though, right? that's what I assumed (didn't he still have his Thyrllan-burns?).

if he was stuck in some Gidrath's body (a la Toc -> Anaster) then he wouldn't have those...that's if I'm correct with the whole burns thing.

I thought Hood just worked him into the Gidrath company somehow, it's certainly him from the first appearance as one of the two surviving Gidrath, because Gruntle notes he is not all there (mentally) and that he can't put down his swords. I don't buy the soul transference thing.

Posted 24 February 2006 - 01:51 PM

No he doesn't.. he's wearing Gidrath armour now and carrying two swords.. one of them bent.. MoI p. 692 (for the Gidrath and kneeling bit) and MoI p.989 mmpb

#13 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 24 February 2006 - 05:55 PM

Bent how? Like, oh, say, a scythe? Or maybe a sickle?
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

Posted 24 February 2006 - 06:01 PM

nope.. bent out of shape.. like... er crooked...:)

#15 Guest_glaz_*

Posted 25 February 2006 - 05:32 AM

right before the part when they said he was malazan, i thought that the knight was Brukhalian...

... but then Murillio or Coll said he was Malazan by the looks of it...

it could've been interesting if it was Brukhalian, though. getting chosen by two gods...

#16 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 25 February 2006 - 03:31 PM

yeh but brukhalian annoyed hood so i feel as tho hood would like to do him in. He bends his sword from a wild swing at a pillar. On a side note surely the knight for HHD would be a great warrior. Im sure baudins fairly handy but hes more of an assasin surely being a talon. I just dont see how he could compete with the knights from the other houses such as rake or karsa

#17 Guest_Garm_*

Posted 25 February 2006 - 04:01 PM

tiam said:

yeh but brukhalian annoyed hood so i feel as tho hood would like to do him in. He bends his sword from a wild swing at a pillar. On a side note surely the knight for HHD would be a great warrior. Im sure baudins fairly handy but hes more of an assasin surely being a talon. I just dont see how he could compete with the knights from the other houses such as rake or karsa

The Prologue of DHG shows his "talent" at being a murderously efficient killer. I would not underestimate him so much as to say he couldn't compete.
He recently ascended, if that is not a clue to the extent of his abilities what is?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users