• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Donaldson trilogy in the works non-Covenant

#21 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:27 PM

Yeah, go with Mordant over Covenant as an entry point.

I love Covenant unabashedly. The Gap books, I like, but not as much as SaltmanZ or others here.

The criticisms of Covenant should be taken with many grains of salt because in that world, everything matters, even the bad stuff. Actions have enormous consequences and the meaning of the books is a good one.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#22 User is offline   Khazduk 

• Sergeant
  • Interests:Instant coffee

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:52 PM

I just a notification that my copy of Seventh Decimate has been dispatched... wonder if it'll get here tomorrow. ;)

#23 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:55 PM

So when I looked up Mordant's Need books yesterday, the newer covers (from I think 2003) are pretty garbage photo-collage ones. But on my search I noticed the original 80's covers for them (unsure of the artist) but damn those originals were fine! So I thought to myself, I'll seek out those ones in the used books store perhaps....and I go about the rest of my day.

Fast FWD to last night. I'm helping my wife order stuff off Ebay (she's never used it before), and as such I thought....I'll check to see if those Donaldson books are on here...so I check and lo and behold they are, in original hardcover format with dust jackets, near mint condition, sold both from the same dude.

I paid $10 for both of these sweet gems!

spoilered for size.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 09 November 2017 - 01:58 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#24 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:06 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 November 2017 - 01:55 PM, said:

So when I looked up Mordant's Need books yesterday, the newer covers (from I think 2003) are pretty garbage photo-collage ones. But on my search I noticed the original 80's covers for them (unsure of the artist) but damn those originals were fine! So I thought to myself, I'll seek out those ones in the used books store perhaps....and I go about the rest of my day.

Fast FWD to last night. I'm helping my wife order stuff off Ebay (she's never used it before), and as such I thought....I'll check to see if those Donaldson books are on here...so I check and lo and behold they are, in original hardcover format with dust jackets, near mint condition, sold both from the same dude.

spoilered for size.

Spoiler

Got ISBNs on those?

#25 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:14 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 09 November 2017 - 02:06 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 November 2017 - 01:55 PM, said:

spoilered for size.

Spoiler

Got ISBNs on those?

Not yet, I can post once I receive them, why?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#26 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:43 PM

Nice grab, Scott! I believe those are the ones I've got. The artist is Michael Whelan, and the ISBNs are 0345332989 and 0345332997.

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 09 November 2017 - 02:47 PM

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#27 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:46 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 09 November 2017 - 02:43 PM, said:

I believe those are the ones I've got. The artist is Michael Whelan, and the ISBNs are 0345332989 and 0345332997.

I though it looked familiar. Whelan art is ALWAYS worth purchasing! (But then I have a framed art print of TO GREEN ANGEL TOWER on my wall, so I'm biased).

Anyways, thanks again for the recco Salt-man, looking fwd to diving into this series.

#28 User is offline   Khazduk 

• Sergeant

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:07 AM

I did get Seventh Decimate delivered on Friday... it's only just over 300 pages so I've been rationing myself to 50 pages a day. I wonder what's up in the Repository. ;)

#29 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:49 AM

About 150 pages into Seventh Decimate and it's nothing to write home about thus far. The reviews were pretty bad on Goodreads and now I know why. If his name wasn't on the cover, I'd refuse to believe that this was written by Donaldson. If I wasn't aware of the poor Goodreads ratings, I'd be hoping that the author would turn things around before the end. But I'm not sure it's going to happen. . . :/
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#30 User is offline   Khazduk 

• Sergeant

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:36 AM

He rewrote it six times according to his website, if I remember correctly. I think the style is still unmistakably SRD, but the characterisation isn't really there. Somehow Bifalt as the only POV character makes it too narrow. Unless there is a real turnaround, now or later. (I stopped at p. 225 last night.) The world and setting is there for such an awesome epic story. In comparison the 3rd chrons of TC were so convoluted and 100% character driven... if this just can reach some middle ground, it will be great. ;)

#31 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:54 PM

Based on what everyone is saying on Goodreads and some early reviews, it doesn't look like it's going to happen. . . :thumbsup:

Bummer, as this was one of my most eagerly anticipated SFF titles of 2017.

Unless there's a real turnaround before the end, I'm not even sure I'd read volume 2. :(
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#32 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:58 PM

View Postpat5150, on 15 November 2017 - 03:49 AM, said:

About 150 pages into Seventh Decimate and it's nothing to write home about thus far.

Yeah, but you didn't like THE WITCHWOOD CROWN for some inexplicable reason...soooooo

:thumbsup:

#33 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:33 PM

Nope, I did not.

I wasn't the only one, it appears. The book has not sold well for some reason. This is shocking, as I expected it to be one of the bestselling SFF books of the year.

#34 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:53 PM

View Postpat5150, on 15 November 2017 - 11:33 PM, said:

The book has not sold well for some reason. This is shocking, as I expected it to be one of the bestselling SFF books of the year.

Did the Last Chronicles sell well? I got the impression otherwise, though I couldn't say from where.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#35 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:32 AM

All but the first volume did sell well. You may recall that Donaldson asked his fans to pre-order Fatal Revenant so that it would help the book appear on bestseller lists since all the pre-orders work like day-1 sales. And it worked. The second and third installments were NYT bestsellers if I remember correctly. The first book tanked, though. But it benefited from no marketing or advance praise.

The new Williams trilogy was being pimped more than a year in advance and news even appeared on Buzzfeed and other non-SFF venues because it was judged the next GoT. It should have been this summer's bestselling genre hit. Not sure why it wasn't. . . :/

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users