New Donaldson trilogy in the works non-Covenant

#1 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 September 2016 - 05:19 PM

http://www.stephenrd...author/news.php

SRD said:

My new fantasy trilogy, THE GREAT GOD'S WAR, has been acquired for publication by Berkley in the US and Gollancz in the UK. The first book, SEVENTH DECIMATE, is scheduled for October 2017. My contracts give me 18 months per book; but I'm hoping to do better than that.

Just in case anyone is thinking otherwise: this trilogy has nothing whatsoever to do with anything I've written before. Except of course it shares my usual approach to storytelling, my usual themes, etc..

Color me interested. I haven't read a series of his that I haven't loved.

Additional book titles (announced in his newsletter):

1. SEVENTH DECIMATE
2. KNOWLEDGE AND EVIL
3. THE LAST REPOSITORY
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#2 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:16 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 10 September 2016 - 05:19 PM, said:

http://www.stephenrd...author/news.php

SRD said:

My new fantasy trilogy, THE GREAT GOD'S WAR, has been acquired for publication by Berkley in the US and Gollancz in the UK. The first book, SEVENTH DECIMATE, is scheduled for October 2017. My contracts give me 18 months per book; but I'm hoping to do better than that.

Just in case anyone is thinking otherwise: this trilogy has nothing whatsoever to do with anything I've written before. Except of course it shares my usual approach to storytelling, my usual themes, etc..

Color me interested. I haven't read a series of his that I haven't loved.

Additional book titles (announced in his newsletter):

1. SEVENTH DECIMATE
2. KNOWLEDGE AND EVIL
3. THE LAST REPOSITORY
Is the Last Chronicles worth checking out? Have heard extremely mixed things about it.
I am the Onyx Wizards

#3 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 12 September 2016 - 03:14 PM

If you have read even the first chronicles of Thomas Covenant, go all the way to the end. The Last Chronicles ups the stakes, ups the action, ups the emotional intensity, and is extremely well written and connected to everything that has gone before.

It's a stunning achievement and has a few of the best "fist pump" moments I've had while reading.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#4 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 12 September 2016 - 03:39 PM

^ Agreed. It's maybe a little drawn-out for what it is, but you couldn't ask for a better, more satisfying conclusion to a series.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"

#5 User is offline   Kruppe of Darujhistan 

• Justly Vilified
  • Cheating Hood since 1955

Posted 02 October 2016 - 05:11 PM

As much as I loved the first and second chronicles, I could not get through the third. I gave up halfway through the second (or was it the third?) book. Don't know if I'm willing to give Donaldson another go.
What is not forbidden is mandatory.

#6 User is online   Khazduk 

• Sergeant
  • Interests:Instant coffee

Posted 06 October 2016 - 07:39 AM

It was a blurb from SRD who lead me to SE in the first place, and I'm still extremely partial to Donaldson. But I can still relate strongly to the mixed reactions to the 3rd chrons. Somehow - and don't ask me how - it is some of the best stuff he's ever written... and still it feels somewhat forced. It's like he lost the sense of wonder for his own creation, something that permeates all his other work (imho).

The newly released novellas (The King's Justice and The Augur's gambit) has him getting back to his best again, even though the plots do have some huge holes in them.

For pure Donaldson pleasure - even better than Covenant - there is first and foremost the Gap series, if you haven't already read it. The best space opera that will ever be written. (Sorry, captain Hadrian...) :p

#7 User is offline   Kruppe of Darujhistan 

• Justly Vilified

Posted 10 October 2016 - 12:50 AM

I have read the Gap series but that wasn't my cup of tea either. :p I did really enjoy the Mirror duology (can't recall the exact name).
No excuse for not trying one or more of the novellas you mention though. It's not like I'm being asked to invest time in reading multiple thousand page novels.

#8 User is offline   Kruppe of Darujhistan 

• Justly Vilified

Posted 01 November 2016 - 12:18 AM

View PostKhazduk, on 06 October 2016 - 07:39 AM, said:

The newly released novellas (The King's Justice and The Augur's gambit) has him getting back to his best again, even though the plots do have some huge holes in them.

The novellas really are good stuff. Glad I took your advice. Lots of savory bits. The kind I like to linger on and just enjoy repeatedly.In the Covenant books it was stuff like, "It is the duty of the living to give meaning to the sacrifices of the dead."

In The King's Justice, this early line was a knockout, with many more to follow:

Spoiler

I'm still near the start of The Auger's Gambit, but have already been rewarded with this gem:

Spoiler

That's savory and delicious word-stringing-together badassery.

#9 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:41 PM

^ Sounds wonderful.

#10 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:33 PM

Can't wait!

http://www.barnesand...en-r-donaldson/

Cover:
Spoiler

Synopsis:

Fire. Wind. Pestilence. Earthquake. Drought. Lightning.

These are the six Decimates, wielded by sorcerers for both good and evil.

But a seventh Decimate exists—the most devastating one of all…

For centuries, the realms of Belleger and Amika have been at war, with sorcerers from both sides brandishing the Decimates to rain blood and pain upon their enemy. But somehow, in some way, the Amikans have discovered and invoked a seventh Decimate, one that strips all lesser sorcery of its power. And now the Bellegerins stand defenseless.

Prince Bifalt, eldest son of the Bellegerin King, would like to see the world wiped free of sorcerers. But it is he who is charged with finding the repository of all of their knowledge, to find the book of the seventh Decimate—and reverse the fate of his land.

All hope rests with Bifalt. But the legendary library, which may or may not exist, lies beyond an unforgiving desert and treacherous mountains—and beyond the borders of his own experience. Wracked by hunger and fatigue, sacrificing loyal men along the way, Bifalt will discover that there is a game being played by those far more powerful than he could ever imagine. And that he is nothing but a pawn…

#11 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:27 AM

I'm in. Preordering even though I think there should be ten decimates.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#12 User is online   Khazduk 

• Sergeant
  • Interests:Instant coffee

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:45 AM

What makes you think there aren't? :p

#13 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:07 PM

I have two copies of Seventh Decimate up for grabs on the Hotlist! ;)

Patrick
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#14 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:11 PM

I haven't read any Donaldson since the second Covenant trilo a decade or two ago, but this is tempting. Tho definitely on my 'wait til its finished' list'.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#15 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:24 PM

View PostAbyss, on 08 November 2017 - 05:11 PM, said:

I haven't read any Donaldson since the second Covenant trilo a decade or two ago, but this is tempting. Tho definitely on my 'wait til its finished' list'.

You've read his other series(s), I hope? Also, Last Chronicles is really good, but probs best if the first two trilos are still fresh.

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 08 November 2017 - 05:34 PM

#16 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:41 PM

I've never read ANY Donaldson on the back of constantly hearing how extremely unlikable the protagonist is...I don't do well with those sorts of books.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#17 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:00 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 November 2017 - 05:41 PM, said:

I've never read ANY Donaldson on the back of constantly hearing how extremely unlikable the protagonist is...I don't do well with those sorts of books.

Well, that's just Thomas Covenant, and he's only really the protag for the first 3 of 10 books. ;) The comparison's often made between him and Karsa, on account of how much the initially-unlikable character grows throughout the series. The entire arc of the first trilogy is Covenant's growth as a person, really: In the first book he doubts The Land's reality, and is dragged along grudgingly for everything. By the end, (40-year-old spoilers ahead)
Spoiler

#18 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:25 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 08 November 2017 - 06:00 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 November 2017 - 05:41 PM, said:

Well, that's just Thomas Covenant, and he's only really the protag for the first 3 of 10 books. ;) The comparison's often made between him and Karsa, on account of how much the initially-unlikable character grows throughout the series. The entire arc of the first trilogy is Covenant's growth as a person, really: In the first book he doubts The Land's reality, and is dragged along grudgingly for everything. By the end, (40-year-old spoilers ahead)
Spoiler

Okay, good to know. I might check the first one at least out (they always have copies at the used bookstore for a few bucks).
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#19 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:49 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 November 2017 - 06:25 PM, said:

Okay, good to know. I might check the first one at least out (they always have copies at the used bookstore for a few bucks).

Also might be worth checking out his Mordant's Need duology for a first taste, as it's only a 2-book commitment, is a bit lighter in tone (mostly) than his other stuff, and kind of straddles the line between his two other major series, Covenant (portal fantasy) and the Gap Cycle (which has similar plot machinations).

#20 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:02 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 08 November 2017 - 06:49 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 November 2017 - 06:25 PM, said:

Also might be worth checking out his Mordant's Need duology for a first taste, as it's only a 2-book commitment, is a bit lighter in tone (mostly) than his other stuff, and kind of straddles the line between his two other major series, Covenant (portal fantasy) and the Gap Cycle (which has similar plot machinations).

Looked it up. Sounds very interesting to me. Thanks again.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users