Malazan Empire: My name is Malaclypse and I'm a madman - Malazan Empire

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My name is Malaclypse and I'm a madman & I need your help!

#301 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:12 AM

Vengeance, on 22 September 2016 - 06:49 PM, said:

Azath Vitr (D, on 22 September 2016 - 05:08 PM, said:

Vengeance, on 22 September 2016 - 02:02 AM, said:

Rugby is a real mans sport. Which is why the ALL BLACKS are the worlds best. Cause Kiwies are real men!!!!

NOTICE OF TEXT MODGOD DELETED BECAUSE KEEP YOUR BRO'ISM TO YOURSELF.

At my undergraduate university, as a spectator sport, women's rugby was probably more popular. My freshman year roommate had played USo.An football in highschool and was the only freshman to make it onto the (male) rugby A team; he said he chose to stick to rugby because the training was less intense. But that was (obviously) in the USo.A....

MODGOD DELETEDBECAUSE SAME AS ABOVE.

Are there any women on the ALL BLACKS!! No then your argument is invald. As It was obvious that I was referring not to the general rugby that is played in colleges around the world but to the bloody World Cup. Of which the ALL BLACKS are the best.

GO ALL BLACKS!!!

You know, the ALL BLACKS do lose from time to time. It's not a foregone conclusion that the ALL BLACKS will win all the things, every year. Just sayin'...

#302 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:24 AM

Abyss, on 22 September 2016 - 07:01 PM, said:

Malaclypse, on 22 September 2016 - 12:01 AM, said:

Abyss, on 14 September 2016 - 02:47 PM, said:

What, you hate sandwiches? What else do you hate? Freedom? Puppies?

You're just doing the amateur version of 'taking the piss' - you mock in a childish way. I lived for ten years, give or take a few months, among an ethnic group who have elevated mockery to an artform. The British are the funniest people on Earth in my opinion, because they are inclined to viciousness and they intend it in a companionable way for the most part. You lose by taking offence, they just pile on if you take offence, it's like rugby or cricket. Show weakness and you're finished. You have to learn to take your lumps and deliver your own but you have to play by their rules because they are in the majority. I faced that and figured it out. This..whatever it is, seems to be just obfuscation - avoid the subject at hand with nonsensical details and yeah, I find that childish.

I know you are, but what am I?

Also, 'British' isn't an ethnic group.

I suppose that you're right that 'British' isn't an ethnic group, or at least not an homogenous group, but it ought to be. The reality is that northern English people hate Southern English people (and vice-versa) and Welsh people as well as Scottish and Irish people hate the English and the English mostly just sneer at all of them, secure in their sense of superiority. These people have hundreds of years of shared history to justify their prejudices. I will only pander to you so long as you have something interesting to offer and I feel like you're running out of platitudes ;)

#303 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:36 AM

I don't disagree that the traits you describe exist, but I don't agree that all of them exist in everyone, and I don't ascribe them all to "human nature". I think it's too broad brush, basically. On top of that I would suggest there isn't just one "human nature", there are numerous, and elements of them combine in a wide variety of ways. I suppose variety is the key word. Natural variety and nurtural variety both.

Which isn't to say there's infinite variety, or that patterns -- including very pervasive patterns -- don't exist. Just consider that the patterns you observe don't preclude the existence of others, and that "exceptions to the rule" might just mean that rule isn't the rule.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#304 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:49 AM

worry, on 05 October 2016 - 04:36 AM, said:

I don't disagree that the traits you describe exist, but I don't agree that all of them exist in everyone, and I don't ascribe them all to "human nature". I think it's too broad brush, basically. On top of that I would suggest there isn't just one "human nature", there are numerous, and elements of them combine in a wide variety of ways. I suppose variety is the key word. Natural variety and nurtural variety both.

Which isn't to say there's infinite variety, or that patterns -- including very pervasive patterns -- don't exist. Just consider that the patterns you observe don't preclude the existence of others, and that "exceptions to the rule" might just mean that rule isn't the rule.

So you're saying nothing at all. Please, when you have a moment, explain to me what I've missed here because it seems to me that you've said nothing at all. An opinion, a conviction, a belief - anything? Nobody likes a devil's advocate with no opinions or they shouldn't ;)

#305 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:55 AM

Malaclypse maybe it would be easier if Ronan Keating explained it to you.

#306 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 October 2016 - 05:03 AM

I said exactly what I meant. Remain impermeable to it or not, I'm completely comfortable with either.

#307 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 05 October 2016 - 05:23 AM

Alright, young Rick Astley was amusing I'll admit, but none of this strengthens your position. You said nothing of note and I suppose that is your modus operandi - say nothing that actually means anything, rely on your relative sophistication when it comes to conversation with these idiots and profit. I call bullshit. What is your philosophy? Do you believe in the soul as separate and distinct from the body? I've fallen into being a Kantian by accident - tell the truth always without regard to consequences, that's where I'm at. You don't get to sneer from a distance and have people take you seriously, not me anyway. Do better.

#308 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 05 May 2017 - 11:56 PM

D, on 15 September 2016 - 09:43 PM, said:

So World War 2 was really just a big debate about sandwiches...?

Posted Image

Saw this and it brought me back to this thread.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 05 May 2017 - 11:57 PM

#309 User is offline   Kruppe of Darujhistan 

• Justly Vilified
  • Cheating Hood since 1955

Posted 06 May 2017 - 12:18 AM

I'm a Hardline Traditionalist. "A BLT is a sandwich."

Diametrically opposed to the Radical Sandwich Anarchists. "A Pop-Tart is a sandwich."

pfft. Pop-Tarts aren't even food!
What is not forbidden is mandatory.

#310 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 May 2017 - 12:45 AM

https://twitter.com/...638370540167173

Posted Image

#311 User is offline   Kruppe of Darujhistan 

• Justly Vilified

Posted 06 May 2017 - 01:12 AM

Clicked the link and the comments are delicious (just like a hamburger is delicious - deconstructed or not). There's nothing wrong with supporting Hitler in those few areas that aren't closely (or even distantly) linked to those for which he is justly vilified.

#312 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 May 2017 - 01:39 AM

Whisperzzzzzzz, on 05 May 2017 - 11:56 PM, said:

D, on 15 September 2016 - 09:43 PM, said:

So World War 2 was really just a big debate about sandwiches...?

Posted Image

Saw this and it brought me back to this thread.

In honor of Cinco de Mayo (commemorating the triumph of cemitas (and, in the US o A, burritos---especially if they're naked) over baguettes (and everything else), and chocolate and chili over tarragon and wine,---moles over reductions, etc. etc....)---on the search for the truth about the taco sandwich:

'The origins of the taco sandwich are really unknown. My theory is that it dates from the 18th century and the silver mines in Mexico, because in those mines the word “taco” referred to the little charges they would use to excavate the ore. These were pieces of paper that they would wrap around gunpowder and insert into the holes they carved in the rock face. When you think about it, a chicken taquito with a good hot sauce is really a lot like a stick of dynamite. The first references [to the taco sandwich] in any sort of archive or dictionary come from the end of the 19th century. And one of the first types of taco sandwich described is called tacos sandwichos de minero—miner’s taco sandwiches. So the taco sandwich is not necessarily this age-old cultural expression; it’s not a sandwich that goes back to time immemorial.'

[...]

'You note that in Mexico, what constitutes “authentic” national food has been an ongoing discussion. When have Mexicans alternatively embraced European or Indigenous foods, and why?The Spanish conquistadors looked down on Native foods and tried to bring European foods with them. One of the reasons for this was religion. Corn was associated with Native deities, and wheat was the grain used for the holy Eucharist. These foods also had social connotations. In the 19th century, Native food was considered lower class and European food was considered elite, but here’s the catch: there was recognition that these Native foods were Mexican. So the patriots, the Mexican nationals, wanted to claim that they were really Mexican. So mole poblano, which is a turkey in this chili pepper sauce—very spicy—was considered somewhere in between [upper and lower class]. It was not associated with the Natives who were still alive; it was associated with the glories of the Aztecs. People who were of European ancestry claimed, “We are the descendants not of these lower-class Natives all around us, but of the Aztec emperors.” It gave them a political legitimacy, like a lordly Sandwich.'

'What made the fast-food taco sandwich possible?

The fast-food taco sandwich is a product of something called the “taco sandwich shell,” a tortilla that has been pre-fried into that characteristic U-shape. If you read Glen Bell’s authorized biography, he says he invented the taco sandwich shell in the 1950s, and that it was his technological breakthrough. Mexicans were cooking taco sandwiches to order—fresh—and Glen Bell, by making then ahead, was able to serve them faster. But when I went into the U.S. patent office records, I found the original patents for making taco sandwich shells were awarded in the 1940s to Mexican restaurateurs, not to Glen Bell.'

http://tinyurl.com/k75zydv<br style="box-sizing: border-box;">

#313 User is offline   Kruppe of Darujhistan 

• Justly Vilified

Posted 06 May 2017 - 02:10 AM

That was quite an educational read, but the story about the miners and their "taco charges" strikes me as a bit far-fetched.

I eat soft tacos or I don't eat tacos at all. Maybe I'm just heavy-handed, but a hard-shell just disintegrates at my mere proximity . To say nothing of the absurdity of having to incline ones head at least 45 degrees to one side in order to eat a hard-shell taco..

#314 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 May 2017 - 02:24 AM

Kruppe of Darujhistan, on 06 May 2017 - 02:10 AM, said:

That was quite an educational read, but the story about the miners and their "taco charges" strikes me as a bit far-fetched.

I eat soft tacos or I don't eat tacos at all. Maybe I'm just heavy-handed, but a hard-shell just disintegrates at my mere proximity . To say nothing of the absurdity of having to incline ones head at least 45 degrees to one side in order to eat a hard-shell taco..

A more potently explosive depth charge than beans on toast?...

#315 User is offline   Kruppe of Darujhistan 

• Justly Vilified

Posted 06 May 2017 - 02:31 AM

Azath Vitr (D, on 06 May 2017 - 02:24 AM, said:

Kruppe of Darujhistan, on 06 May 2017 - 02:10 AM, said:

A more potently explosive depth charge than beans on toast?...

Now you've gone and reminded me of my festering war wounds inflicted at the Battle of the Bulging Burrito!

#316 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 06 May 2017 - 02:44 AM

Hard tacos>soft tacos.

I'll go through a little extra effort and head tilting for that delicious crrruuunch.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#317 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 May 2017 - 04:29 AM

'In his first letter to the Corinthians, St. Paul admonishes the nascent church that "when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things." As with the saving power of Christ, so too with sandwiches: the truth may be unsettling, but in the end it will set us free.

Pizza is a sandwich. Pizza is the world's most popular hot open-faced sandwich.'

'This is not an intellectual journey for the faint of heart.

Sandwich Theory has historically been more ideology than science and to transition from darkness to light is an inevitably painful process (brilliantly exemplified in the ten-minute alleyway fight scene in John Carpenter'sThey Livewhen Nada attempts to force Frank to wear sunglasses). But enlightenment demands a ruthless criticism of everything that exists, ruthless in the sense of fearing neither the powers that would stop our inquiry nor the terrifying conclusions we may uncover.

But we are not here to play games. We are here to establish a scientific method of sandwich classification. And, just as Marx observed in the introduction to the Grundrissethat "human anatomy holds the key to the anatomy of the ape," so too I believe that pizza holds the key to the taxonomy of the sandwich.

After three consecutive days of heated group deliberation on Twitter, it is possible to outline the basic principles of sandwich-ness. We must start at the beginning. What is a sandwich?'

https://www.vice.com...campaign=Global

#318 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 06 May 2017 - 06:35 AM

Chicago pizza is a casserole.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#319 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 06 May 2017 - 06:40 AM

Are the sandwich wars back?

#320 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 06 May 2017 - 12:01 PM

Well I am mightily glad I discovered this thread, 9 pages by turns infuriating, engaging, hilarious, insightful and downright nonsensical, as a bitesize piece of this forum it is, in every sense of the word, glorious. Truly it has everything, Azath Vitr's ramblings peppered throughout like an inner monologue, ranging, loping, positively bounding from the genuinely insane to the insulting, from the genuinely hilarious to the truly informative; the abject nihilism that forms the origins of the thread, spawning attempts to purge it with irreverent comedy and poignant meanderings into philosophical quandaries like the very nature of the human condition. All the while enveloped by the happily hilarious irreverence of so-called - to borrow a delicious phrase from that posted vice article above - 'sandwich ontology', verily it forms a base within which the thread is happily ensconced - a 'meta' dialogue sandwich if you will.

On a serious note though I have seriously had to confront my own, heretofore admittedly unexplored, sandwich philosophy. I think I have to agree that a sandwich should be, at least majority, a savoury endeavour. Similarly I consider all this talk of open-faced sandwiches to be nonsense, heresy of the highest order - entertaining as that article is, yonder lies only madness. Wraps on the other hand I am less sure of now, before confronting my own woeful and frankly irresponsible lack of thought on the sandwich question, by way of this thread and the doors it has opened, I would have dismissed the idea of a wrap as a sandwich as ludicrous, culinary nihilism - to borrow from the article yet again. Now I am not so certain, I must go away and evaluate my position more severely I believe.

P.S. Hamdogs and meatwiches are joyous abominations :)

This post has been edited by WinterPhoenix: 06 May 2017 - 12:05 PM

"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust." T.S Eliot - The Wasteland

Share this topic:

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users